Larger fuel tanks for Scout

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by samperry007, Nov 22, 2016.

1. samperry007

samperry007 Member

Hi, I have been modifying Indian scout tanks to make them larger. I have a thread on the other forum that explains a lot of it, Fuel tank PICs , it was suggested that I post over here as well.

This is a tank I recently completed it holds 4.0 gallon without the fuel pump and is about 2.5 inches wider overall. If you have any questions feel free to ask. IMG_20161122_161155117.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Blueshwk

Blueshwk Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

NIce work!

Warlock and Baldhead_J like this.
  3. invisible bastard

invisible bastard New Member

What is the draw to make your fuel tank larger? I'm trying to understand it because it's a cruising bike, not a touring bike. I've lived in densely populated cities, and now I'm living in the middle of bumfuck Missouri where it's 20 miles to anything worth doing, and I'm still not being limited by a 3.3 gallon tank. Sure, I have to fill up every time it's available, but that doesn't really bother me either. Help me understand?

4. samperry007

samperry007 Member

Thank you, blueshwk.

Invisible bastard, it comes down to convenience and refueling so often, for me at least, is an inconvenience. For me its about 30 miles between towns, the catch to it is, there might not be a place to buy 91 octane in the next town. Even in the town where i live there are only 3 stations out of 10 that sell anything other than 87. It has happened to me several times fuel light comes on, i roll into a gas station and 87 is all the have. Also, having experience with other bike that have larger tanks, like my Yamaha, you can just ride without the worry of am I going to run out of gas, how far have i gone, how much is left.

I agree the Scout in a city bike, the gearing will tell you that; 4K RPM in 6th gear at highway speeds. I like how the bike does in the cities, but even then the tank capacity and 6th gear are an annoyance for me. I have the ability to change things, its the same reason why my bike has a shift light on it ;).

I am offering the ability for other who don't have the skills that I do to change one of the things they don't like about the Scout. This is the basic premise of business, the aftermarket industry, and custom shops all over the world.

I will leave you this to ponder: is it the man that pays the bill for something to be built, and say "I built that"; or is it the worker preforming the task that actually built it? You may say it a symbiotic relationship, one couldn't exist without the other. I beg to differ, talk to any bike builder, any car builder, any craftsman, they will all tell you the same thing, and its this; we will keep building the things we love regardless if anyone buys it, or pays us for it, its because we love to do it. And it is that passion that causes one to stand out from the crowd.

muz, SweetSwing, N. Cognito and 12 others like this.
  5. invisible bastard

invisible bastard New Member

Cool, thanks for explaining without feeling like I was criticizing ya (I wasn't). We're kinda in the same pond when it comes to living so far apart from other towns. I just moved to Missouri, and it's a culture shock for me. Every. Thing. Is. So. Far. Away.

JBTX and Warlock like this.
  6. knucky

knucky Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Have you considered removing the inner wall and just using the outer shell? Seems like that would yield a considerable amount of capacity but I'm not really sure what it all looks like once opened up.

7. samperry007

samperry007 Member

Knucky, the under side of the tank is the complicated part of the tank on the Scout. this is because of the frame rails, mounting points, and the air box/ air intake location. I have been able to successfully add fuel capacity on the bottom side of the tank. Its not as much as when i widen the tank.
    If you read the other page, at the link in the original post at the top, there is a picture of a red tank. the red tank is 4.5 gallons and has had the bottom modified to fit very closely to the S&S air filter i have on my bike. I am waiting on parts to arrive before i begin changing the bottom of the tank to get the maxim amount of fuel possible with out touching the top of the tank.

When ever I have to get a tank painted it adds about $500 to the cost of the tank, depending on color. If i can do the bottom and get .5 or so gallons without having to repaint the tank that would bring the price from $1100 down to the $4-500 range. Which is a more reasonable price. or it would allow me to make and even bigger tank, in the 5 gallon range, if someone wanted.

Each tank I do is a little different, and can be tailored to a persons particular needs/ wants.

SouthernProducer and Alpal like this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Sam, you keep talking the way you're doing and I'm gonna have to explain to my Steph why the power bill never got paid last month or two!

Seriously, I like what you're saying. I too suffer from the old have I got enough syndrome when the tank gets low and the light comes on. Burtland may be small but with the changes we have seen over the years, all those little service stations dotted around the country in out of the way places are gone. You want fuel? Find the big smoke cos there is little by way of servos in between them. That extra bit of fuel would be a life saver. ( well, a long walk anyway.)
    Alpal

By way of example, down south you leave quakeville, more recently known as Kaikoura and a place a few of your Navy Personel now know because one of your ships came over to help evacuate the people, tourists and locals, who were trapped there and wanted out! Thanks Guys,......again,.......

Anyway as you leave you are faced with a trip of well over 100miles to the next servo and I was on my VS 800 Intruder, not the most fuel efficient bike in the world. I made it on fumes. Now, I know that some of you guys out there with Scouts really like to wind them up and take them to the limits. Well, Guys, you would not make it because wound out and full bore the Scout drinks fuel faster than two VS800's. So, yeah, bigger tank for the Scout? I like,........

#8 Alpal, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  9. samperry007

samperry007 Member

This is one road i have been down a few times, its not a place where you want to run out of fuel, unless you like looking at salt. I know a lot of "old timers" that drive out to the salt in their classic cars and they will tell you when you come around that corner don't be looking at the lake; you can do that when you are getting gas.

The last gas station leaving salt lake city to the first before you reach Wendover, NV is 95 miles; 100 into Wendover. I must say if you have never been to the salt flats cafe, it is a simple yet amazing place. There is a lot of history behind the magical 150 mile, and it goes back to a time when vehicles didn't get 20+ miles per gallon. It became an industry standard, and sticks around. Its the distance we use when building hot rods to determine fuel capacity minimum, Its the typical distance between any two gas stations.

Like Alpal pointed out, times are changing. Vehicles getting are better and better fuel economy, I'm still baffled by why a 1980's Honda gets the same gas mileage as 2012 non hybrid, but that another discussion. As a result of this as well as larger corporate presence the little mom and pop service places that be all over the place are dispersing.

People seem to forget that the more they modify their bike or car the more fuel it will consume, that air filter, those new pipes, lets not forget the fuel controller to add more fuel, they all make more power typically at the expense of fuel economy. This is compounded by the fact that people want cheap stuff, and things the understand. I prefer controllability over simplicity for cretin things; like welder, a fuel controller, boost controller, dare I say a traction controller. To give you an idea, on both of my bikes I have gear dependent maps, 6 gears, 6 maps. That is how you get performance and fuel economy.

It would be easy for me to build one tank, then have them mass produced in China, Taiwan, or Vietnam. Then you lose the individuality of it, which is something motorcycle and car owner want, something that is unique to them.

Attached Files:

10. Graham UK

Graham UK Well-Known Member

That tank is a beautiful piece of work. Although I regularly get 150 miles between refills, I'd certainly find a larger tank good for peace of mind - I do tour on my Scout. So, I'd certainly be asking about the price of your tanks if I wasn't living so far away and on the other side of import tariffs etc.

11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

The matter of whether the Scout is a tourer or a cruiser comes up often, and was even raised here. Well, your bike is what you make it. Mine is both tourer and cruiser because, quite simply it is the only transport I own. That and my Intruder. Steph and I do not have a car so the Scout is the workhorse, and the fun ride to where ever you want to go. And sometimes when I am in the process of getting there, I get a little nervous. That little extra fuel would help to make me feel a bit more calm.
    Alpal

PS. Checked the cost of owning a car recently? Steph and I hire a car for the day or the weekend if required. $50 and fuel for the day. What could be cheaper than that. No Rego, no WOF, no tyre replacement, no repair bills,(can't believe I said that last one!:eek:o_O I am an ex mechanic, after all!) we had a BMW 320i which sat under the carport for almost two years which was only ever started to keep the battery up. I came home from work one day and it was gone. Seems Steph got sick of looking at it through the kitchen window so rang up the scrap man. When he saw it he bought it alright, but not for scrap. His daughter in Auckland now owns a pearl white BMW 320i ex South African imported, electric everything, ( loved that sun roof) which still had the original spare tyre, made in South Africa stamped on it, in the boot. We only ever bought it to take the dog to the beach but three months later the dog died. But that's another story,............

CaptMdnght and Graham UK like this.
  12. Drydock

Drydock Well-Known Member

I regularly tour on mine, another half gallon or so would be damn nice. 4000 rpm on a short stroke motor with an 8500 redline is quite a relaxed rpm (not a HD or a 111 remember) as the piston speed is still quite low, so no problem there. A good seat and bars makes a great deal of difference as well. For a Solo rider it's a fine tour mount, with the advantage of being a hoot on a tight stretch of blacktop.

And the tank is NOT doublewalled. Don't know where that came from.

Graham UK likes this.
  13. se7en10

se7en10 Well-Known Member

So true, that's why I carry gas can with me on long trip. Road and weather condition will affect mileage to reach your next destination.

I'd loved to do your tank mod but my tank has a custom airbrush paint already. :(

14. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

If you think Missouri is spread out, you should come to Montana! :p

That tank is Fantastic - looks stock - very nice work. If I had a Scout I would definitely be ordering one. :)

Cindy Hu, thumper, CaptMdnght and 4 others like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Montana is so far spread out, that we had to get gas from a rancher one time because there were absolutely no stations in that part of the country. Fill up when you can because I've seen stations with only 2 pumps, Regular 85.5 and Diesel. Some guys carry jet fuel packs because of that. Theres some towns that roll up their sidewalks in the evening along with the gas.

16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Sounds to me like there is a few out there who would appreciate a bigger tank,....

sidecarsam likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Nah, we like life just the way it is up here. :D

Alpal likes this.
  18. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Put a smaller tank on then and heighten the excitement!!:p;):rolleyes:
    Alpal

CaptMdnght likes this.