Key Fob issues

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Steve Miller, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Member

I own a 2016 Chief Vintage. Love the bike, but I hate the key fob system. The key fob on the wife's truck goes years without ever having to have the battery replaced. Why is it they every 4 or 5 months I have to put a new battery in the Indian key fob? I have to carry around spare batteries because I never know when the damn thing is gonna start blowing the horn in the parking lot making me look like some kind of nut job. Does anyone make a keyed ignition to replace this pain in the ass key fob? Sometimes you can have just a little too much fancy shit!

"Psycho Medic"

Big A and will like this.
  2. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Never had any issues on any of my TS 111 bikes (first was a 16' Vintage). Maybe talk to your dealer....?

BigDawg and IROQUOIS like this.
  3. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

Do you leave the key on or near the bike?

4. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

If you park your bike in a garage and leave the FOB in the windshield bag for example it's staying connected using up the battery.

Gina, Bobby Jesus and ScoutBobber49 like this.
  5. lichla1988

lichla1988 New Member

I have a 2018 Chieftain Dark Horse. I've had one issue with the key fob, and it was very embarrassing. Went to pickup medicine via drive through, turn bike off, pickup medicine, bike will not start, key FOB lights up red on the dash, line of cars behind me, bike will not crank key fob not found, pushed it off to side and finally recognized key fob. I carry extra battery and try to yearly put a fresh name brand battery in it. Don't buy the cheap batteries. My key fob is only near the bike when riding, key fob stays in house.

Ny Mike, will, doublej and 1 other person like this.
  6. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Bronze Member

Still have the original battery in my Fob for the 16 Vintage.

Worked last time I was out back in July. I should probably test it again sometime this year. ;)

Bobby Jesus, will, BigDawg and 2 others like this.
  7. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

Still on the original battery for mine as well. It's 2017 DH Chieftain, but I picked it up in Aug. of 2016. The only time I had a problem was in a big group ride and, apparently, the mass of other key fobs cause a conflict an I couldn't start my bike until some f the crown thinned out.

I can't explain why you're having an issue.

I have a buddy who refuses to use his fob, he just enters the security code every time he goes for a ride. After a little practice, he can get started as fast as anyone with a fob.

BD

will likes this.
  8. Hugh Jorgan

Hugh Jorgan Well-Known Member

My first battery lasted 2 years. Don’t keep it near the bike.

JayFL459, Bobby Jesus, will and 2 others like this.
  9. ScoutBobber49

ScoutBobber49 Well-Known Member

I believe this to be true. Bought my 2019 Chieftain new in 2020.

Kept the FOB in a locker inside my shop where the bike is parked. A few weeks later I get the red light issue. I assumed the FOB battery was sitting for a year and may have went dead, but then read on another forum what is stated above.

Installed a new FOB battery, but now I keep it in my riding jacket in the house. Have had no issues since....

will likes this.
  10. will

will Bronze Member
    Original 111

Change mine yearly when I change the garage door opener. So far, so good.

IROQUOIS and Bobby Jesus like this.
  11. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

Same fob battery on the SF since purchase in 2017 - with year round use (the lands down under are heaven!!).

@Steve Miller - I am not sure why you feel that you need to carry spare batteries. The PIN system works perfectly and never lets me down. I don't even take my fob key half the time I ride.

But that's completely up to you of course.

Just my 2c.

Ling and IROQUOIS like this.
  12. tthunder38

tthunder38 Well-Known Member

2014 Chieftain on my second battery. Unlike most of you my fob stays in the pouch on the backrest. No issues with draining the battery. Maybe I just buy better batteries.

13. driver10

driver10 Active Member

I change my battery at the beginning of every riding season. I also carry a couple of extras in the trunk. Just in case myself or someone else needs one.

14. muz

muz Bronze Member

I had issues with my 2017 Springfield. Bloody thing wouldn't recognize the fob, would honk the horn, try again, same thing, lucky 3rd time always started. Painful, bloody annoying. Polaris fix (yes they were rung and notified) from the dealer (3 attempts and never fully cured the problem), was to get the dealership to find the wire in the loom that sends the signal from fob to engine and make it more free instead of being wound up with all them other wires ???. Seems weird I know, but it's what they said and did. I was over it by the third attempt at the dealership.

15. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

Well lucky all us scout owners just have a basic key. Motorcycling is all about Man and Machine.
    Not Bloody GPS/Computers ride sensing lean angles and all that stupid bullshit.
    So come on guy's let's ride and not be ridden around by a computer.

#15 putamayo, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Steve Miller and 4thunder like this.
  16. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

No problem with my 18. But fob never near the bike unless riding either. Keep a spare battery in tool pouch. And replace it every year about same time.

17. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Member

Ain't it the damn truth!

18. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Member

Mine does not last nowhere near a year!

19. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Member

So let me get this straight. I need to more or less untangle the key gob wire from the rest of the wires. It is just crazy enough to be true. Each wire has it's own little magnetic field and I guess it gets screwed up from all those other wires being so close. Gonna have to try it. Thanx, "Psycho"

20. muz

muz Bronze Member

yep. That is what Mr Polaris instructed my dealership to do. first attempt, bloody thing honked its horn on leaving the workshop, back into the shop. Then honked on arrival at home. Second time in to the dealer, they fluffed around with it, no better, still occasionally honking away from not recognizing the fob. Third time they picked up the bike and a technician returned it to my place, All good they say, haha, still did the occasional honk or two. Then the tech service manager had the gall to get on my case when I told him it still did it. His reply was, "Why didn't you ring and let us know when it happened". My reply was "If you can't fix it after 3 attempts, forget it, you have wasted enough of my time. So there you go @Steve Miller , get them onto it and sort it or just use your code to start but annoying to do so. Good luck.