Interesting read in the Alternative Universe on Scout steering lock

Discussion in 'Indian Scout Performance' started by Alpal, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi All,

Just got back from the other place after checking my PM's and noticed a thread on the Scout steering lock. It being early in the morning and all I decided to have a read. Grey hairdos has done himself proud by finally deciding that that stone in his boot was hurting enough now for him to take tha darn thing off and shake it out!

Seems the job is not a big one that simply involves removing the Scout plate at the front that covers the wiring and very carefully grinding away the posts till you have the desired steering lock angle.

Some points to remember however as pointed by Greyhairhoon and others:

DO NOT GRIND AWAY TOO MUCH! Grind a little and check often. Same advise goes if you are modifying your poorly angled side stand.

Watch how tight your wiring is getting on the right hand lock.

And finally, his bike did not have crash bars so a caution there to those that do. Do a little measuring first before you grind.

Lastly, why not pop over the "other" side and have a read. The thread is called "Steering turn radius mod done".

TTFN All,

Alpal

Roll On likes this.
  2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

hi All,

I'm back with an update on the steering lock mod Greyhairhoon started on the other site. I have now done and am mighty impressed with the difference in turning circle. No more worries about running out of steering for me now. Read on. I have included much of Greyhairhoon's first post to give you a better picture of what is happening.

Hope you like it,......

I have been meaning to post up that I modded the turn radius so it has a much better lock to lock for low speed U turns, which is so much better now.
    I measured the angle from straight ahead position to left lock and then right lock, each lock from straight ahead was 26 degrees, so 52 degrees all up.
    I removed the Indian Wire cover from above headlight which lets you get to lock stops easily, put a carbide cutter in drill and ground the lock stops till I got angle I wanted, took a while as I went easy.
    I ended up with 33 degrees each side, 66 degrees all up. Can do U turns now like all my previous bikes.
    Great mod and worth the effort of doing it. It was really annoying me the way it was. I see the new model Scout has had this done in factory.

Hi Greyhairhoon, how is The mainland of Australia getting on?

Well, I finally did it. Bought the tools, cleared the shop, dragged out the Dremell and attacked those steering blocks on the Scout front end. Why? The way I have my two bikes in the shed in their stands meant that I was doing three point turns to get out! And then once out it was another three point turn to turn around. Whereas the Intruder? No such thing. So, it was a case just like you did, cover up the bike and grind down one side till my indicator which is repositioned on my Memphis Shades screen, was about 12mm off the fuel tank. Then it was swop time to do the right hand side. Hell it was that quick I didn't even time it. Over in pretty much no time at all. Word of advise to others planning to do this, "Grind a little and check a lot". Safety first people!

As near as I can measure my original steering angle was 19* each side which I found surprising because GHH stated in his opening post that his was 26*. Could this be why some have not noticed the terrible lock to lock of the Scout? Are some worse than others? I know mine was painful.

Well, it pains me no more as I now have roughly 35* each way, about 70* all up and making a wonderful turning circle now possible.

Big thanks to Greyhairhoon for kick starting me into doing something about this problem.

Keep the rubber rolling people!

Alpal

Sturgis 75th, Graham UK and JBTX like this.
  3. JBTX

JBTX Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Thanks for that post and reference @Alpal. I have had a problem with the turning radius being a bit wide on my Scout. I am going to take a look and try some measurements tomorrow. The reference to the other post and pics was helpful.

Alpal likes this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

No sweat Buddy, if you have any questions, just fire away. Only too pleased to help,....
    Alpal

5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

@JBTX , THE OTHER WORLD thread is called "Steering turn radius mod done"

Regards,

Alpal

doublej and JBTX like this.
  6. FoeHawk

FoeHawk New Member

7. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Just a wee caution on this. If you have the Indian mini apes, with the stock clutch cable, at full lock the cable is already fully stretched so giving yourself more turn movement in the forks is going to overstress the cable. If you are using a 2 inch or longer cable over stock length ,you will be sweet, or if all is standard. Reduced reach bars installed should be fine to do the mod.

8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Thats the one Buddy,.....although there is much of that thread over in this forum now,.....but hey,.....It was good to read it all again. I have done the mod to my second Scout now and the first thing I did was check the new Scout turn radius against the first one as the marks were still on the workshop floor. And I feel @GreyHairHoon was right when he said maybe some Scout frames slipped through without machining at the steering stops as my second ( and older ) SCout had a better or greater turn radius than my first 'Red Bullet'. That aside it still wasn't enough so it got the treatment. Very good points brought up by @muz by the way and as GHH states,,....'Grind little, measure lots'
    Its one mod you won't regret doing in any way shape or form,....
    Alpal

muz likes this.
  9. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

When I fitted my mini apes to my scout I found the clutch cable under minor stress on full lock in one direction only. My remedy was to slack off cable adjuster the put a pair of vice grips on clutch arm where it exits the engine use a rag to protect the chrome. turn and release cable,then remove from all holding clamps ect undo radiator cover and remove the entire cable .I then re run the cable to the inside of the radiator and above the foot brake under bike and reconnected it to the lever at the engine.To keep it in place where it goes over the foot brake you can slip a zip tie around the grey metal radiator frame and pull it up snug on the inside of the rear master brake cylinder. reset cable adjuster and heh presto you just gained an extra 40 -60mm and no stretch at full turning lock in either direction. also those cable holders that locate wiring, into preset holes in the handle bars ,if you use long nose pliers and slowly work back an forth you can get these out and reuse again.

muz and Alpal like this.
  10. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Great fix. Seems that there is quite a few people that re-route the cables to get satisfactory results. Your one seems to be one of the better ones. I've read about some going around the steering neck and over tanks etc. I don't think I would be very happy with a clutch cable around my speedo or routed in an awkward bend or an unsightly look. We got a really good frost here today in Stratford, bet its cold at yours as well. Beautiful day ahead tho. Cheers, take it easy out there

Alpal and Scouts Honour like this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

White out on the lawns today Buddies!!!!!,.....:p But I had to be told,.....:cool: I'm not stupid,.....;) I stayed in bed!!!!!:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;)
    Alpal

muz likes this.