Indian windshield rattle fix

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Guides and How-To's' started by Rickie, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Rickie

Rickie New Member

I put together a short video of a fix that I made on my 2017 Indian Roadmaster. After taking my bike to two different dealers, and having them attempt to fix my rattling windshield, they basically said well that's all we can do.
    Having a 30K bike with a windshield rattle, just wasn't right, so I took a suggestion from someone on this forum, and one of my own, and made these changes. This is not a step by step video, but it does capture what I did, and it really did solve my issue.

2. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I wonder if this is the noise I here at about 60 to 70 mph. It sounds like it's in front of the bike. I've been thinking it was in the motor. Gonna have to check the tightness of the shield. Good info.

3. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Thanks for the video & info.

4. Rickie

Rickie New Member

Check your front caliper covers. Mine were buzzing. I fixed them by bending them slightly for clearance to the calipers.

5. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

20170629_111921.jpg You can actually see the grooves in the plastic that show up over time. This is on my 2016 Chieftain.

6. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

This was fix because I had them on hand. Sticky back felt pads.
    20170629_140314.jpg 2 of them side by side.
    20170629_115248.jpg
    Once the windshield is back on, only I know that they're there. I'll see how long they last. Also the screws on the outside of the hinges were loose. They also already have nylon washers.

#6 Ghost, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  7. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

I took the Chieftain out for a good road test in the heat of the day. Putting in those felt pads is one of the best mods I've done & that's been a bunch. No more irritating rattling from the front end. :D:cool:

8. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Could someone that has/had the rattle explain when and how you hear this rattle. I can't hear anything for wind noise. I do get a rattle from time to time but figured it was my cup holder. Does this rattle require the windshield to be in the full down position or somewhere in the middle or full up?

9. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

The point where I seemed to get most of the rattle was in the full up position. It would also rattle more at different rpm's or loads. I actually thought it was an under the dash issue, but now that it's fixed I know its the windshield vibrating. In the full up position you can grab the top of the windshield, shake it and it will rattle. With the pads in place the rattle was gone. Tighnening up the loose bolts on the hinges made the windshield firm with little movement.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  10. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

I have not really noticed a Rattle yet but will pay more attention and keep this in mind .. One of my First Mods was getting a LRS 12" Tomahawk Shield but didn't really notice it on the OEM Shield and kept it all the way up because was too short so maybe just lucky there ..

11. foottdude

foottdude New Member

Thank you so much for the information. I had my Chieftain to my dealership and they thought I was nuts when I told them that the windshield rattle drove me crazy. They played with it for a few minutes, then told me that the rattle is normal and there is nothing that I can do. I looked at them with a "don't make me smack you upside the head" look, but I kept my cool and decided that I would have to fix it myself. Now I know how to approach it. Thanx!

Da Nurse likes this.
  12. Andy

Andy Active Member

one of our members on the french forum (Indian Revival) post a video to fix this problem,
    here is the vid with english subtitle, hope it can help you.

Papa Lar likes this.
  13. Largeandy

Largeandy Well-Known Member

Wow, lots of work on something that should have been done correctly by Indian in the first place. Mine vibrates too so will check out your idea. Thanks for the helpful post.

Andy and Papa Lar like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Active Member

Come here and tell us the result, 3 members of our forum do it on their RM and it seems to be perfect for the moment !

15. Gunnysgt80

Gunnysgt80 Member

Well I thought my new RM was contracting the evil windshield rattle of yore. Started just after the 500 mi check and was super annoying. After a couple of days of playing with the windshield and putting pads in places it failed to help. Took the headlight bezel off for a closer look, nothing was obvious. Started zip tying any wire connection that looked like it could touch the inner side of the fairing and VOILA that was it. Not sure which one was the culprit, don't care, zipped'em all. Anyone else that may assume they have contracted the windshield disease, try this fix. Worked for me.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  16. MilwDave

MilwDave Member

There is a member of the other forum named Bob that goes by TinIndian. He has a foolproof kit that eliminates the rattle in both versions of the fairing.

Most people look for bandaids and address the wrong source of the rattle. His kit is a sure fire fix.

Dagwood and rusty nuts like this.
  17. rusty nuts

rusty nuts Active Member

After My dealer told me the rattle is normal I came home and ordered one of the kits. Figured I could put one together myself but I like convenience. A year and a half later it still doesn't vibrate like it used to after 6 months. It's not as solid as a hard mounted shield, but I no longer have to turn up the radio to drown out the noise.

MilwDave likes this.
  18. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

It could be rattling like a Canebrake and I wouldn't be able to hear it. Y'all must have excellent hearing.

19. Dagwood

Dagwood Unobtanium Special Member
    Supporter

TinIndians kit works excellent.

MilwDave and rusty nuts like this.