Indian Scout - Cruising RPM

Discussion in 'Indian Scout Performance' started by EPOCH6, Mar 5, 2018.

1. RAJUUR

RAJUUR New Member

Thanks for this information

2. RAJUUR

RAJUUR New Member

Thanks for this information. I know you posted this years ago, but I am new to owning a Scout, 1 week. I am downsizing for a Valkyrie. So I was cruising at very low RPMs. I will now monitor my riding on the Scout. Again, thank you.

EPOCH6 likes this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Welcome aboard @RAJUUR ,......Enjoy that Scout!,....The key thing to remember is that Scout is a performance bike which loves to run, like a wild horse and its got lots of them! I expect you are finding it a big change from your Valkyrie but all you need to remember is that Scout although smaller than your last bike is NOT to be ridden like it was a Royal Enfield 500,.....
    Alpal
    PS:,.....Did you buy a red one?,.....perchance?

Scouts Honour likes this.
  4. muz

muz Bronze Member

Keep it a gear lower with the throttle cranked on and the revs up unless cruising on the open highway. Tight twisties, 2nd and 3rd gear love it, and accelerate from corner to corner. Ride it harder than you think is good and both you and the bike will love it.

Alpal, Rodd and Scouts Honour like this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I concur,.....
    Alpal

muz likes this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

You know?,......I reckon all Scout owners should put a reminder in their calenders on their birthdays to re-read this post,......It is like a refresher course for Scout riding 101,......I read it prior to going away on my trip and followed the rev range suggestions,.....I won't mention numbers re MPG but suggest that perhaps Scout owners follow what in in this thread and do a tankful or 3 ( for a better average ) of highway trips and report back on what they found,.....a sort of, you tell me your results and I'll tell you mine,.....could be very interesting,.....

Oh,.....by the way, it is mandatory for all Burtlanders to do this so @muz , @Rodd , @Scouts Honour and all others on here,....is there any other Kiwis on here? love to met you if there is,.....so everyone!,..... get to it and that's highway running Ian!,.......(we will meet up for that coffee yet!!!)
    Alpal,.......

7. muz

muz Bronze Member

Sorry Pal @Alpal , I have never in my life given a squat about miles per gallon in any vehicle and certainly not with a bike. Fuel in, fuel out, refill, is all I do. I ride, drive to the conditions and how I feel at the time so my data would be all over the place. My Scout 60 runs pretty damn hard and fast on a few local club runs several times a year, let alone my own jaunts around the countryside. Always in the mid to high rev range unless taking it easy through town or feeling like a leisurely cruise. Recent ride last week hosted by Full Throttle SMC, their motto is; Keep Up Mutha F@CKA, was a perfect example, every gear up to the higher rev range, had to too keep up with the masses of Harleys, haha. Cheers bud, crank that throttle, haha.

Alpal likes this.