Indian Scout ABS 2019 - Rattling noise near idle

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by Rider21, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Rider21

Rider21 New Member

I'm new to the site and I hate to be coming to you for the first time with a problem, but I need your help.

I have a 2019 Indian Scout ABS that's been in "research" mode with Indian where I bought the motorcycle for the past two weeks. It has around 2700 miles on it. I noticed a strange rattling noise one day while stopped at a traffic signal. I gave the bike a small rev and heard this rattling sound that seemed to be loudest near the belt drive gear. The bike has run great and has given me no real problems. Doesn't use oil and I get 48-52 mpg. Stock exhaust- no mods. To hear this sound you have to be sitting still and just barely rev the bike. If you rev it hard you don't hear it. I don't hear the sound when I'm moving at all, only when sitting and I give it a very small rev. It will not do this when the engine is cold. It needs to be ridden and brought up to operating temperature (around 176F) before you can hear this.

The first thing I did was to check anything that could be loose. Nothing.

Please and give me your opinion or let me know if you have heard this before.

Thanks

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

The Scout guys will be here with ideas. Don't fret. Also, there are a few credible wrenches about.

Photo_1567530538615.png

3. Rider21

Rider21 New Member

4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi Rider21 and welcome to the Best Little (but growing lately) Indian Motorcycle Forum in the World!!!

That noise,....I have one similar that strangely comes and goes,.....I ride a 2014 First Run Indian Scout, done 22,000 miles. I noticed a while back a rattle at idle,.....it sounded to be on the left side of the bike when the bike was running and on the side stand,.......once the bike was lifted upright however it stopped. I was not overly concerned but decided to ask the shop as I was getting a rear tyre fitted.

They came back, (after contacting Indian in the States) advising the noise was caused by the drive on the starter. With the bike running and on the side stand the drive would rattle back and forth on the starter spindle or shaft as the starter. The starter is on a downward slope as it were when on the side stand and so the drive 'chatters'. Once upright it stops. Nothing to worry about.

NOW,.......having said that just remember I have not heard your bike in order to say 'yes. that's the noise',........You may have a different problem.

What you can do is an ear test,......grab a long screwdriver and with the bike running and on the side stand place the screwdriver in the vicinity of the starter drive on the front left side of the engine case and then place your ear to the handle. You should hear your rattle very loudly in your ear. Then do the same thing back near the gearbox or the belt drive cover,.......What noise do you get here?,.....Louder?,....then it's probably not your starter,......quieter?,......If you keep moving forward and testing and it's loudest up front near the starter then that drive is probably your noise.

Another thing to do is with the bike idling on the side stand, pull the clutch in and note any change in sound,......If nothing else it will exclude your clutch as a problem.

Keep us posted on developments Buddy,.....
    Alpal

5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Oh yes,......and I've never heard it when the engine is cold,.....

Alpal

6. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Welcome, @Rider21!
    I don't have a Scout but I once had a similar issue on another brand. It was the lower muffler where it attached to the support bracket. I know you said that you checked everything for tightness but I would look closely again at all fasteners associated with the exhaust system.

7. Rider21

Rider21 New Member

8. Rider21

Rider21 New Member

Thanks Alpal. I'm hoping the starter sound is my issue. I have included a link to a sound file further donw in the thread, but I'll include it again here for your listening pleasure. THANK YOU! Will keep you posted.

indian scout sound at idle with small revving 2019-12-25.m4a