Indian Motorcycle Revamps Ride Command

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle News' started by NickJ, Dec 15, 2018.

1. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

Indian_Ride_Command.png
    New Software Update & Mobile App Offer Online Route Planning with Wireless Bike Transfer & Remote Vehicle Information Accessibility

MINNEAPOLIS (December 6, 2018) – Indian Motorcycle, America’s first motorcycle company, continues to enhance its rider experience with the announcement of an all-new Ride Command mobile phone app and software update. Ride Command is the largest, fastest, most customizable system on two wheels, featuring an industry-leading, glove-compatible, seven-inch touchscreen. Its latest software updates allow riders to easily plan ride routes via a desktop platform, while an all-new Ride Command mobile app wirelessly transfers the directions to the bike’s navigation system and provides remote accessibility to key vehicle information.

Owners can update their Ride Command by visiting a local dealership or by quickly downloading the software to a USB drive at RideCommand.IndianMotorcycle.com. The website also serves as the platform for riders to plan ride routes with up to 100 waypoints. The point-by-point directions can then be wirelessly transferred to the bike using the Ride Command mobile app and a Bluetooth connection to the infotainment system. The pairing of these new technologies allows riders to view vehicle data, including fuel level, oil life, tire pressure & battery charge remotely on their mobile device. Riders can also track rides, view service recommendations and log maintenance within the mobile app. The Ride Command mobile app can be downloaded for free in the Apple Store and Google Play.

“We continually focus on enhancing the rider experience,” said Reid Wilson, Senior Director for Indian Motorcycle. “Our industry-leading Ride Command infotainment system is an easy-to-use platform that enables us to continually expand features with exciting new software updates. Pre-ride route planning and remote vehicle data accessibility are features our riders have asked for, and we’re excited to deliver these technologies.”

Riders can set push notifications within the Ride Command mobile app and receive alerts for important service reminders. The app also tracks rides and allows riders to conveniently share completed or planned rides with friends on Facebook.

Riders can further update their Ride Command by downloading the free 2018 map updates at the Ride Command website or via a local dealer. New Chieftain and Roadmaster owners receive three years of complementary map updates.

The new Ride Command updates further expand Indian Motorcycle’s ride-enhancing technologies announced earlier this year, as the 2019 Chieftain lineup and the 2019 Roadmaster are equipped with three selectable ride modes and rear cylinder deactivation for improved rider comfort when traveling at slower speeds.

To learn more, visit RideCommand.IndianMotorcycle.com for a full list of features, download instructions and instructional videos.

Dadawada likes this.
  2. Dadawada

Dadawada We can all use a little more cowbell!
    Supporter

I nice feature would be if the dealers could/would update the maintenance section when they perform maintenance work.

It would be nice if this was connected to Indian Corporate and Dealer applications. Some of it probably is.

3. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Rough night?

4. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I'm glad they finally replaced their old Indian Rides software, it was a mess. The route planning and tracking didnt work. This is way more ambitious and seems to work. I'm excited to have my opportunity to try it out.

Warlock and NickJ like this.
  5. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Well-Known Member
    Supporter

On the website right now.....
    upload_2018-12-15_12-52-11.png

Attached Files:

6. Dadawada

Supporter

I didn't think so...lol...maybe more sake than I realized...lol.

None of my dealer services are showing up in any of my Indian online information. Maybe just my dealer issue. My other bikes when I get any service it is on my online record.

7. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

Yikes. I know that one of the people working on this project was at the NYC IMS and was touting that they got it right and so on, so the roll out may have been premature.

For those of you that are familiar with the BMW Ride Connected App, this is probably really similar. The BMW system has a few bugs in it that made me super frustrated when I was riding and had the bike paired to my phone and my comms paired to my phone as well. Perhaps this is made better for those that are on the same bike for more than a day or two because they can set it up in a more reasonable way that just "Jump on and go."

Dadawada likes this.
  8. Dadawada

Supporter

Yep...LOL...my BMW Ride Connected hasn't worked right since the last update. I'm sure I'll get it figured out. For me, the old Indian Ride Command worked pretty well. Jump on and go.

9. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Well-Known Member
    Supporter

As far as I could tell this feature needs you to enter all the information on your own. Seems like they could connect to the data base that Indian has. Maybe that is just too complicated.

Dadawada likes this.
  10. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

I bet it was because the setup was as follows:

R 1200 GS Rally <---Phone ---> Comms

If I set it up this way, it would probably work like I want:

Phone ---> R 1200 GS Rally ---> Comms

My problem was that the music on my phone would stop playing when I turned the bike off and started again. The bike would supersede the connection to my comms.

As far as connecting to the database, I would be really surprised if it did this. The OEM database tracks EVERYTHING done to a bike by a dealer and this includes diagnostics and all checks. That would be a lot of info that 99% of people don't need on their phone and thus data transferred for no reason. If you want all that, just ask your dealer for a bike report.

doublej, Dadawada and Papa Lar like this.
  11. Dadawada

Supporter

Exactly.

12. Dadawada

Supporter

My new Jeep has the maintenance records on the customer facing apps I believe.

Da Nurse likes this.
  13. Mark Lippert

Mark Lippert Member

I'm not sure where to ask this question but I'll try here. I've got a 2016 Indian Chieftain dark horse, can I get ride command addicts it somehow? I love my bike but wish I would of waited for that feature to come out. I do not know if it can be added?

14. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

Yes, but cost prohibitive. It's not worth what you would pay to add it. y
    You'd be ahead buying a newer year in the long run.

Jw roadmaster likes this.
  15. Jw roadmaster

Jw roadmaster Active Member

I agree with@Da Nurse, doubt it would be cost effective. Besides it's a great reason to consider trading!

16. Dadawada

Supporter

JayFL459 likes this.
  17. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Sure not knocking Ride Command for those that enjoy it but as long as have a Power Port and USB can do all I need to do without any complaints on Music or Navigation either one ..

Danbacca likes this.
  18. Danbacca

Danbacca Active Member

I hear you Jay. I would have stuck with my 2016 Chieftain with no Ride-Command if she had not of been totaled by that car that hit me.

JayFL459 likes this.