Indian durability...

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Klyde1, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Bronze Member

Larry and myself go back from another forum a little ways. He’s not one to stretch or BS the truth. I have a Electra Glide with 163,000 on the original belt. Now granted it’s not 300 plus but mines in great shape. How’s that go it is what it is.

Klyde1, Lake City Larry and IROQUOIS like this.
  2. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

"Character" is Larry's middle name. His word is the gospel.

Klyde1, Lake City Larry and Ny Mike like this.
  3. Klyde1

Klyde1 Bronze Member

@Lake City Larry has shown screen shots of his odometer all along the way, and chronicled his experiences, repairs, etc. all on this forum. Read through it, and you will not doubt.

IROQUOIS, Lake City Larry and Ny Mike like this.
  4. Quinn_the_Eskimo

Quinn_the_Eskimo Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks.. I stand corrected and even removed my post.

5. Quinn_the_Eskimo

Quinn_the_Eskimo Well-Known Member

And I apologize to you. After reading John's post I stand corrected and removed my post.

Klyde1, doublej and Lake City Larry like this.
  6. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Apparently no. Only the belt was replaced and you know a dealership would push for pulley replacement if they saw anything questionable just so they could charge more. I never saw the pulley though. Just the belt was brought out for me to see. Personally I don't see how the pulley didn't need replaced though. The belt looked like I had used sandpaper on it and that's just from the grit on gravel roads. If it sanded down the belt I would think the same was going on with the pulley(s). If and or when I trike the bike I'll know more as I'll have the rear pulley to look at then.

Lake City Larry and IROQUOIS like this.
  7. Lake City Larry

Lake City Larry Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying, I’m just guessing the belt could have some type of self cleaning effect on the pulleys due to its rounded teeth surface area that has a large contact point with the pulleys,,,,, unlike the smaller surface of a chain and sprocket that cannot self clean as well. I am referencing this theory to 40 years of agricultural equipment operations with a chain vs belt. Any equipment with chains did not self clean, there was always dirt built up on sprockets and edges of the chain. This happened even when the chains were not well lubed,,,,but the belts and pulleys always stayed clean,,,partly because a belt and pulley have very little crevice area to snag and pinch and retain debris. Was your belt sanded more on the sides than the teeth ? If so, it could justify the self cleaning effect. Larry

Klyde1 likes this.
  8. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Yes in regards to sanding on the sides but there was, some, on the teeth as well. Just not to the degree as the sides. That's one reason I've suggested to those complaining of belt squeaking to ride down a gravel road or two. The squeak will be gone in no time.

doublej, Lake City Larry and Klyde1 like this.
  9. Lake City Larry

If my new belt starts to squeal I’ll keep the gravel lube in mind ! Pulley replacement was discussed but not considered a priority since their wasn’t any significant defects at the contact areas. New front brake rotors and pads, fork seal kit, oxygen sensors, spark plugs, clutch cable lube and general inspection, battery, drive belt, 2 rear tires, 1 front tire, rear brake pads, upper and lower steering head bearings and labor came to a total of $ 2,750 with tax. The belt, rotors, and head bearings were original, so I consider the repair bill as money well spent for the enjoyment I received. I just got my bike back 3 days ago and with temperatures in the upper 20’s was able to test it out doing 150 miles in 2 days before the snow and cold came. They did a great job as it handled like new again ! It will be brutal cold for 10 days now so I’ll end this post with a recent odometer pic for everyone to enjoy. Take care of yourselves and your family and of course your bikes! Larry B99F0FFE-CDBE-4315-B0DB-750C92FF9723.jpeg

RidgeRoamer, Klyde1, Ny Mike and 5 others like this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Rack them up Larry!!!

11. ATUTI

ATUTI Member

Larry, just a question... I can see in most of the pictures of your odometer that the average speed is 56 mph. Do you reset the trip any time?

Lake City Larry likes this.
  12. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

150 miles in the 20's ! Stop it!!! LOL Seriously, do you wear a ski suit or something similar? How about your hands?

Klyde1 and Lake City Larry like this.
  13. Lake City Larry

Welcome ATUTI, I see that is your first post and question ! Maybe you could give us a picture of your bike if you want to, anyhow back to your question. The odometer pics you saw on page 3 and 5 are the same picture. But your question does bring up an interesting tidbit of information that not many people know about. I usually don’t reset the average speed when I fill up with fuel, I intentionally leave it alone until it can no longer make the average speed calculation due to the memory being overloaded. This overloaded condition usually shows up every 60,000 miles, the average speed then goes crazy in its display until it is reset. LOL. The average speed calculation computes miles traveled against engine hours, so if your engine is running and your bike is not moving , your average speed will be decreasing until you bring your bikes speed back up and over the current average speed. When you divide total mileage by engine hours it will give you the average speed calculation for the life of the bike. My bike has averaged about 55.27 miles per hour for the life of the bike. I just never felt the need to reset this calculation until one day it went crazy on me during the first 60,000 miles! It’s just a goofy amusement to watch the average speed go to 126 mph and down to 6 mph, all while maintaining a constant speed of 60 mph! See what happens when a person rides too much on one bike ! Larry

Klyde1, Ny Mike, tthunder38 and 3 others like this.
  14. Lake City Larry

That 150 miles was done in 3 different trips, so I’m not that tough! I do use a pair of lithium battery heated gloves, other than that I just use layered clothing as I dislike being tethered to the bike. I think I’ll take the car for a drive now since it’s 3 degrees out, and my mama didn’t raise no fool !!! The Chieftain does have excellent wind protection with the bags off as it reduces the backdraft turbulence. Larry

15. ATUTI

ATUTI Member

20200701_193636.jpg Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. That means that you drive quite fast if you get almost 60 mph as an average (meaning 100 20200701_193636.jpg 20201111_091142.jpg km/h). This is really amazing. I assume that you make a lot of high speed highways.
    On the other hand you are absolutely right. I should have started with some introduction on my side.
    I have a 2018 Roadmaster (with black seats because I do prefer that black/burgundy combination).
    Now working and living in Tenerife (Canary Islans, Spain). Here you have a couple of pictures.

16. Lake City Larry

Great bike and pictures, thank you! My average speed is quite high for a couple of reasons, but high speed roads isn’t one of them. I avoid city traffic and roads with multiple stop signs and traffic lights, also I do not allow the engine to warm while parked, I just take it slow for the first 5 miles. My riding routes usually have mostly right hand turns which increases safety and average speed. I live in a neighborhood where the average house lot size is 1-2 acres and I have access to a highway within one mile which also increases average speed. Can you purchase new Indian motorcycles in Spain? We are glad to have you on this forum, and feel free to share your experiences and ask for help with any problems that might occur with your Roadmaster. I’ll bet your bike is one of the best you’ve ever had! Larry

17. ATUTI

ATUTI Member

Thanks Larry. Yes I am crazy with my Indie. She is great!!!
    Here in Spain, and even on the Canaries, we have a bunch of Indian dealers.
    Being sunday I have just taken this picture. This place is the Paradise.... you can see the volcano Teide with snow in the background while people is having tun on the beaches. The famous apple of Adam was here.

Attached Files:

18. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Beautiful!

19. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

^^^THIS^^^

Klyde1 and Lake City Larry like this.
  20. Lake City Larry

Thanks for sharing your time with such beautiful pics, it helps a lot for those of us that don’t have to find a mountain to see some snow! Here’s my view on this Sunday morning along with the temperature ( -16 degrees Fahrenheit) . There’s just no comparison! Larry 71EBB84C-F43F-47D7-8F51-DDD63FD4FE3C.jpeg 41575395-952C-4898-B100-5F92A17BD38E.jpeg

Klyde1 likes this.