IMRG Regional - Southeast Iron Butt Tour Charity Ride

Discussion in 'Southeast Indian Riders' started by doublej, Jul 15, 2020.

1. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to post this link here. This IS a charity ride to benefit Operation Homefront and an IMRG National plus a 1,000 mile Iron Butt Association event. Southeast Iron Butt Tour Charity Ride

There will be three starting points; Knoxville, TN, Marietta GA and Charleston SC. PAce should complete the ride in @ 17 hrs., which after some rest and nourishment there will be a celebration at each respective location. Please consider supporting this event (I will be joining the Knoxville group!).

IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.
  2. doublej

doublej Bronze Member

Pretty excited for this....20 riders leaving from Knoxville, 23 from Charleston and not sure how many from Marietta, GA. Thinking it's going to be a 17 hour ride....!

IROQUOIS likes this.
  3. doublej

doublej Bronze Member

Up at 04:00 today <yawn>....adjusting my body clock for this event !

4. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

I was interested until I saw the entry fee. I just can't trust my butt that much any more.

5. doublej

doublej Bronze Member

Sorry your butt and wallet couldn't align :D ....maybe next year. The $150.00 is for a great cause and the event is also an opportunity to expand our circle of riding friends. (We have people on Scout's coming as far away as Illinois for this.:eek:)

6. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

The worth of the cause it what interested me. It's just that I'm not confident enough in my butt to risk $150. It would make more sense for me just to make a plain donation.

doublej likes this.
  7. doublej

doublej Bronze Member

02:00 wake up.....Nighty......zzz.....zzz....zzz

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  8. Bubba58

Bubba58 Bronze Member

I’ll pass. I’d rather give my money to the Navy Relief Society. Operation Homefront doesn’t cut the mustard with me. According to Charity Navigator, they have only given out 21 million dollars of the Programs funds since 2011 and they have 28 million in assets on hand. I’d donate to the Gary Sinese foundation before I’d give to those folks. Also, their mission is to take care of military families, well I served in the service for 30 years and we didn’t need a charity to take care of our families. All they do is give out token assistance. Backpacks and rent free housing for 7 families (Hell I could beat that if I tried, especially with 47 Million dollars coming in). And by the way, $441,000 to compensate the CEO of a charity like this is just plain highway robbery.

Bubba

9. doublej

doublej Bronze Member

This was a pretty awesome event. 1020 miles, first 6 hours in rain during the most technical part of the trip (I-40 gorge and through Asheville, NC onto RT 26, 25 into Greer SC for a stop at Cherokee Cycles). Finished the ride in 22 hours (departed 04:00 and arrived 02:00 back in Knoxville). Temps ran from 63 F to 95 F during the ride.

I tail-gunned for our group.....from a fatigue standpoint the most difficult part was Marietta to Chatanooga; night time, fog, a bit of rain....made it difficult for many of us to stay awake. The RM was flawless....was happy I removed the lowers with exception of no coverage during the rain and the sheep skin is a MUST for something like the Iron Butt. My neck and hand/grip muscles were sore....other than that all good!

This was a great experience....maybe somewhat comparable to a Shodan test.... met some great people and expanded my circle of friends. Not sure I'll do another one...but probably will! :) - John

PS- 'Giving' is the most important thing. Sure it would be fun to debate the authenticity and validity of various Charities, etc., but that's not what this thread was intended for.

Eeyore, Gator Mcklusky and tthunder38 like this.