Hi guys I found this 1941 Indian

Discussion in 'IndianRider.net Site Support' started by Ducatiracer25, Aug 13, 2017.

?

anybody know what it could be worth

1. Any answer would do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Any then you have to say

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ducatiracer25

Ducatiracer25 New Member

Hello guys I found this 1941 Indian in a friend's garage I think it's a scout it seems to be all there I have pictures what I need to know is how much should I pay this guy for the bike I'm not an expert on Indians I would appreciate the help thanks George gervasigeorge@gmail.com

Attached Files:

2. geewago

geewago Well-Known Member

A 1941 bike is basically worth whatever the buyer can get for it, or as they say whatever the highest bidder will give for it. For you, figure out what is the most you would pay for it. Offer him less. If he takes it your a happy man. A lot of people will tell you they don't know what they want for something but if you offer they say no I have to have more than that. So really they know but don't want to say.

sidecarsam likes this.
  3. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

Impossible to say what it's worth (agree with geewago), but you can check the auctions that include antique bikes and see what similar bikes are going for....this will be the high end of the pricing....I have bought, restored, showed and auctioned antique cars for years prior to retiring and can attest to the fact that a "barn find" can be bought at almost any price. Don't forget to check on condition (will it start, engine turn over, have a title, etc) and what you want to do with it. Restoring a antique bike or car is expensive...even if you do some or most of the work yourself. The hunt for parts can be fun and frustrating at the same time and don't forget that you may need to have some parts fabricated if replacements are not available.

I don't want to discourage you, but thought a dose of experience in these matters might be helpful. Let us know what you decide....

Gina and sidecarsam like this.
  4. Hwy 2

Hwy 2 Well-Known Member

The tank and engine look like a chief, I owned a 1946. This bike is missing alot of the original parts and someone made it into a bobber. If you want an experts opinion of this, forward photos to Kiwi Indian and ask for their advise.

Personally I wouldn't pay too much for it although it's probably worth quite a bit parted out if the motor is in good shape. If you want a project and something different go for it.

Good Luck

geewago, Gina and sidecarsam like this.
  5. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Original 111

I agree with what was said above. Get it for the least you can. It IS missing Lots of parts, so depends what you want to do with it to determine how much you will spend. Ask Kiwi what they would buy it for, NOT what they would SELL it for. ;)

Cindy Hu likes this.
  6. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Original 111

I'd Like to know what @Gina thinks of this. :)

Cindy Hu likes this.
  7. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

I was looking at what it needs and what it does not have that is an original part. I personally would walk away. It has to many parts that are going to need to hunt down (Lots of time and money) To many parts that one is going to have to fabricated ( hope you have a friend there) There is just too much that it needs to bring it back to life ( if you are looking to restore to original). Other headaches are if this does not have a clean title ( I would do a title search before hand could save you a lot of headaches later IE: stolen parts will get it confiscated at a D.M.V. after you spend all this money you go to title it) if not that is an entirely new and frustrating ball game there with more headache and heartache( just think of fighting with Uncle Sam because that is basically what you are walking into). now if a person just wants something to putt around the family farm with and the price is cheap (personally under 1,300 it might be a fun toy). Just my 2 cents.

Cindy Hu, Baldhead_J and sidecarsam like this.
  8. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

If you buy it buy it as a motor and frame. I wouldn't pay too much.

sidecarsam likes this.
  9. redsky

redsky Active Member

check with Dale at Wheels Through Time Museum in NC he knows everything about old bikes value incl should you buy it for parts or to ride

OL'55 likes this.