Help with Floorboard Trim w/ Fringe & Studs

Discussion in 'Indian Roadmaster Classic' started by smokier, Apr 3, 2021.

1. smokier

smokier New Member

Bought these floorboard trim with fringe (Indian part number 2879555-06) for the Roadmaster Classic. Mounted them to the underside of the floorboard tray. (Yes, the steel rivets were tough!). As others had commented, had to drill the third hole as the factory hole in the fringe did not align.
    Anyhow, the problem is that the floorboard fringe now LAY ON the CRASH BAR/ENGINE GUARD. (See photos).
    I do not see a way to adjust the floorboards BACK (REARWARD). I toyed with moving the floorboards OUT, by inserting spacers between frame and floorboard bracket. But even after an inch, they would still hit the CRASH BAR.

Has anyone else encountered this?
    Does anyone know if there is a 'fix'?

Took it to an Indian Dealer. They looked it over and basically said, "they are installed right, they just don't work with that bike."

Would one of the other AFTERMARKET floorboard fringe kits work better? Mount differently?

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

Ride safe,
    Smokier

Attached Files:

2. rusty nuts

rusty nuts Well-Known Member

Yep, that's how they fit on my Classic. When they first came out Indian said they weren't compatible with the RM Classic, then after '18 they dropped the claim so I bought some. I had read posts in the past that showed the same issue you/we have. I don't worry about it. doesn't affect the floorboard position and nobody has ever said " hey your fringe is touching your crash bar."

3. smokier

smokier New Member

Thank you for the response. That is disappointing. I still have the lower part of the BAR WRAPS to put on and there is no room. It troubles me that the stud of the floorboard wrap contacts the crash bar. While the crash bar wrap would protect, it is going to add more thickness and more contact...

Wondering do the other aftermarket floorboard fringe sets mount differently or are different dimensions?
    Ride safe,
    Smokier

4. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Mine did the same on my 16' Vintage. Didn't really bother me a whole lot...I also wrapped my crash bars with Fringe...which was a real exercise in patience.....I had to do in a span of a few days because it was so trying....

5. smokier

smokier New Member

Am in the process of wrapping the crash bar. Did find a solution to the floorboard issue. Have to test/try it for a bit before calling it a permanent fix.

The lacing string is pretty weak stuff in my opinion. maybe I tug too hard... ;(

Ride safe,
    Smokier

6. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Yes it is....I broke one side twice....just knotted it and it was mostly imperceivable.

smokier likes this.