Helibars

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by SixShooter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Well-Known Member

Anyone find a good price on them? I'm making one last attempt to be able to ride with a straight up position for my neck & back before I retire the Scout for good!

Alpal and Rodd like this.
  2. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Can't help with the Helibars but sure am glad you're looking for ways to make it work. I had cspine surgery 12 years ago and when that didn't work they followed up with a double fusion a year later. It seemed like a long way back at the time and even today my body still argues with me and, to be honest, I don't win all the battles. But I ride often. Point being; don't give up on your passion while you're still getting enjoyment from it.

#2 Rodd, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    muz and SixShooter like this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Sixshooter,.....There is no good price on Helibars but there are good results. I had a set on my first Scout,......Why?,.......Years ago I injured my back playing Aussie Rules football which meant riding a bike leaning forward was no longer a viable option for me,.....Hello and welcome Cruisers!!!!,.....All was good and then I bought a Scout,....Hmmmm,......Great bike but the seating position had me leaning forward with straight arms again,.......Short rides were fine but the longer rides brought about the lower back problem again,.....What to do?,....Why a set of reduced reach Indian bars of course!,......They moved you back 2" from standard,.....Yeah,.....but even they were not quite enough to cure the problem on a long ride,....Despair set in,.....But wait! What have we here?! What are these Helibars all about?? Guaranteed to move your hands back 4" and still use OEM brake lines and clutch cables????,.....with three different swivel positions????,....You gotta be joking!!,.....No They were not,.......I bought a set, fitted them and oh Boy!! What a difference to my riding!,.....I was back up to riding long distance with nothing more than bum pain which we all know about and a seat job pretty much fixed that too!!!!

So, no, there isn't a good price but there is a great deal of satisfaction on your rides after getting a set,.....which to me, makes then well worth the dollar you pay,....

As a footnote to this, most of you know I hit a horse in June 2017 which wrote off my bike and my helibars with it. I have however been able to find another identical Scout and am in the process of decking it out as per my first one. I learned that the ACC (Accident Compensation Commission) here will alter peoples cars if they suffer an accident and require changes to the vehicle to enable them to continue driving. Well, when I was able to ride again I found I had the same old problem of not being able to ride any distance, now due, not only to my back but also to a now wrecked left shoulder. So I thought, in for a penny, in for a pound and approached ACC and asked what they could do to assist. I told them my problem, I told them I had the solution and guess what?,....After being assessed by an independent assessment Group I am hopefully looking at having my bike 'altered' so that my arms are not straight but bent and in a relaxed position for extended rides,.......All solved by Helibars.

So, am I saying they are the Bees Knee's?, the cats pajama's?, the ridgy didge?, the real Macoy?, you bet ya sweet apples I am!
    Alpal

RedChieftain and muz like this.
  4. SixShooter

@Alpal, I have the reduced reach bars now, but I'm still an inch or two from totally sitting straight! Do you think the Helibars would make up that difference? The good news is from everywhere in the world- the Helibar company is only 1.5 hours away from my house! So I may take a ride up this weekend and see if they have any sales going on. They are having a bike week event, so who knows right?

Alpal and JayFL459 like this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

The silly things you think about,......I for some reason wondered if in fact you were near by the place!!:eek:,....Now how weird is that,....I too have been given a set of 2' reduced reach bars from my good friend @Tombsmen in BC in Cannockland,.......:oops:Hope I haven't upset anyone by entering that term,.....sometimes the best intentions turn sour.

Back to the bars,......the beauty of them is that they not only set your hands back four inches but the last swivel point allows you to turn the bars to alter wrist position. I found this placed my hands in an even more relaxed position. Go Man!;),....Get on that bike!,....Get over there,....Make a day of it,.....Tell them you are coming and why and tell them Alpal, (Allyn Hansen from Marton New Zealand ) from Burtland sent you. Yes, they are pricy but look at what could happen here,.....Rather than sell a bike you obviously love or you would not have bought it, you get to keep riding the famous reborn Scout and for only what? 6 or 7 hundred US dollars?? Replacing that bike will more than likely cost more than that,....Believe me they were more than double that to get them to Burtland but look at the plusses! A fantastic bike still in your stable, a straight back riding position, bars that can have their position altered any way you like, hours of long haul riding, AND THEY COME IN BLACK!!!!!,...........I bought the black ones a little worried I would not like them being a chrome man mostly, BUT!,....once fitted the black bars simply seemed to melt into the rest of the bike,.......You will be impressed my friend,.....now arrange that ride,....check them bars out and keep me posted,......I am truly interested in this thread because we are discussing a product I know as I have proven it good and more importantly I will be keeping the owner of a Scout, a RED SCOUT whats more!!!!. on the road,.....But thats enough from me or you'll never get there! Good Luck and tell them Alpal from Burtland sent ya and that another set will be being sent to New Zealand real soon for Alpal's second RED SCOUT,......(We are faster!!!!:cool::p:D:rolleyes:;))

Alpal

6. muz

muz Well-Known Member

I will second everything @Alpal has mentioned. he knows what he is talking about. At the first IMRG Rally here in New Zealand, when I saw his Helibars I was all over them. I couldn't believe the quality and the amount of variation you can achieve with a set of these bars. Just splash out man and get yourself a set. They will be your game changer for sure. You could make a Hobbit fit a Scout with a set of Helibars, aye Alpal, haha. I too would have a set but found them too pricey after exchange rates and customs duty and g.s.t. Good luck and you will love those new bars, believe man.

Alpal likes this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I must admit they did turn a few heads at the RALLY and the most questions asked were directed to the bars,....
    Alpal

8. SixShooter

Well I spoke to the folks at Helibars and unfortunately they don't have any sets in stock, but I may order a set. I just need to close on our new retirement house in FL in a couple weeks, and then see how much cash I have left to spend. ;)

9. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I'm surprised they have none in stock as the bars that fit the Scout are,....or were the same as fits a couple of models of Honda. Still worth the trip though Buddy,....are you still intending to go?
    Alpal

10. SixShooter

Not this weekend, but maybe when they are in stock. They said 2-3 weeks out. I was hoping they might offer a discount during the week long event they are having, but I was told no. They probably sold out during the week, as they were offering free installation when you visit them and buy the bars. Given that, I may just save 3 hours of travel and a tank of gas and just order online. Plus I have no way of carrying them home on the bike- or my old bars if I had them installed there. I was planning to drive my car up there, but it's easier to order online...
    I read tonight that Rox is coming out next week with a nice set of risers just for the Scout, so I'll probably wait to see what they look like before I order the Helibars.

muz and Alpal like this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yes check out the opposition but remember if you have a bad back the three way pivot bars are more than likely the bars for you,....Good luck on the hunt Buddy,....
    Alpal

#11 Alpal, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    SixShooter and muz like this.