Have things changed or improved

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by rudy smith, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:21 PM.

1. rudy smith

rudy smith New Member

Brothers and Sisters

I left the tribe a good while back. Danceswithscout became stranded when his local Indian dealership closed. I was adopted by the local HD tribe and things have been good. But i have an itch to throw my leg back over an Indian. When i bought my first run Scout it was #124. There was little to no support from mother ship and the aftermarket support was bad at best. Although I now own a 2019 Roadglide Special, and a 2020 HD Deluxe, I am seriously considering buying the water cooled CHALLENGER. But before i jump into the deep end head first without looking for trouble under the surface of the water... have things changed? How is Polaris Indian treating ya'll? Is the support you need there? Have they fixed the support issues that drove me away? Will i spend the price of a new motorcycle making things ride right - again????

Alpal likes this.
  2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hey Rudy,.....Good to have you back again. My 296 Scout has been replaced with 135 after a mishap with a horse.,........How well do I remember the early days of Scouts Buddy,......Thankfully they are way behind us. Indian have lifted their game and you do not now have to rebuild your Scout to make it rideable. The aftermarket builders have risen to the occasion and there are parts aplenty out there for Scouts but!!!,......You are looking for a Challenge (r) are you not? From all I've seen the Challenger is a great bike with the aftermarket coming on board already. Seems they figure Indian is here to stay this time. @Baldhead_J has found a crowd making handlebars for them but I don't recall the thread name. I'm sure others will chip in with discoveries they have found for the Challenger.

As I said,....Great to have you back Bud,.......
    Alpal,.....(As you will recall, red Scouts go faster!!!!:p:p,....as will a red Challenger!!!!;);););))

3. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Well-Known Member

After 42 years and I don’t know 14 to 16 Harleys 13 of them baggers. I left for a victory Magnum then a 18 chieftain limited. I had Electra Glides Ultras and RoadGlides. In comparison there is none. Ride and handling hands down indian and I’ve ridden all of them coast to coast. Now my dealer is excellent same one since I bought my Vic in 16. Better then any HD dealer I’ve dealt with. Maybe I’m just unlucky with HD dealers. Now ask me in a few yrs but I’m betting I’m gonna have a lot less issues with it also. For how I ride my Harleys needed constant maintenance amongst the usual issues. I’ve got an HD in the garage next to my indian but I doubt I’ll buy another. My 3 sons give them enuff money lol I’ll say this nothing you have will run with a challenger. I’m very pleased with indian thus far. Their accessories are way high but aftermarket continues to grow. But even when I rode HD I was brutally honest. Just a descent down the middle of the road bike in my eyes

4. will

will Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Bought my 16 Vintage Chief new, not one problem to date. Had one recall on a fuel line, took it in, they looked it over, no problem with it. One recall is still waiting (shift locator? Something or other no problem with it, still waiting for weather to clear so. I can take it to them.
    She’s still the best motocycle I’ve ever owned

IROQUOIS likes this.
  5. geewago

geewago Well-Known Member

I can't commit on service from Polaris because the Chieftain I owned (36,000) never needed anything and the Roadmaster I currently have (12,000) hasn't needed anything either.

tthunder38, IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.
  6. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

The Mothership's customer service is on point, but dealerships have varying levels of product knowledge and competence.

The aftermarket has everything now and hobbyists are becoming vendors, more and more. There's more shit to buy than I can ever buy. I figure it's a reflection of more and more Indians showing up at the big rallies.

Do you, bro. I'm not into iconoclasm, but Harley will have to win my business back and they really don't seem to care.

IROQUOIS, Ny Mike, will and 2 others like this.