Gulf Coast Route

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by se7en10, Jun 14, 2020.

1. se7en10

se7en10 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Didn't see a section for ride routes, so I'm posting here. Looking for suggestion for ride along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Key West.
    • Back roads
    • Places to see/stop
    Cheers,
    Nicholas
    download.jpeg

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

From Bama:

It's fine to take i-10 from Mobile, and I recommend it. Stop and see the USS Alabama and military museum while you're there.

Back on i-10 east and then take the 19 and the 98 south. Avoid 75 like the plague. The 98 will turn into 50 and then 27 and about where it crosses 75, stop and see @Bobby Jesus.

Sober up and head down US-1 to Paradise.

Chappy, se7en10, IROQUOIS and 2 others like this.
  3. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Yes. Avoid 75. 27 will take you through some cool little towns. Good stop in clewiston at the tiki bar. Continue south from there till you get to Miami dade county. 27 will run into Krome ave. That will keep you west of all the Miami stupidity and you will see part of the Everglades. Krome south into Florida city where it runs into US1. You will see the last chance saloon right when u get in US1 off of Krome. Now, you can continue south on US1 or take card sound road to key largo. Both good routes. Card sound will bring u to Alabama jacks. It’s a Cool little bar in the mangroves. US1 has Gilbert’s. Once you get into key largo stop at the Caribbean club. Usually filled with shady people but it’s a great watering hole. This is where Humphrey boogart filmed “key largo” I can go on and on. Places I like: the Dive museum, Mrs Mac’s (great food), the square grouper, the fish house (awesome food) I can go on and on. Once in the lower keys check out boondocks. Once in key west stop by sloppy joes. Ask for Beverly, Bonnie or Julie. Tell the Bobby from Miami sent you. Also the Bull, ricks bar, Irish Kevin’s, the green parrot (they haven’t cleaned it in 50 years) but you will like this place. Half shell raw bar is fantastic. Not fancy just a good place. Had a couple birthday parties there. Anyways make sure to order Hogfish, grouper and Lionfish. Give me a heads up when you’re rolling through

se7en10, IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.
  4. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

Just an FYI if you take Card Sound Road into the keys there is a toll. Used to $1 cash only. Haven’t been that way in 15 years so if things have changed maybe Bobby Jesus can chime in.

5. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Yes but it’s a sunpass toll. If u don’t have the sunpass it’s pay by plate. Alabama jacks is a cool stop. They filmed a few movies there. Including some of the old Miami Vice shows. Sits in the mangroves. Great conch fritters.

IronButt70 and IROQUOIS like this.
  6. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Bronze Member
    Supporter Original 111

In Northern Florida, hwy 20 is a pretty route South of Tallahassee.
    98 along the NW coast is a nightmare between Alabama and Panama City Beach. Just take I-10 to Crestview, then drop down and pick up 20.
    If you’re not in a hurry, stay as close to the coast as you can East of Panama City. It’s often called “The Forgotten Coast”.

se7en10, IronButt70 and Bobby Jesus like this.
  7. se7en10

se7en10 Well-Known Member

Thanks all, great info. Planning to do the ride before peak of hurricane season.

Bobby Jesus likes this.