Grass clippings causes fatal motorcycle crash?

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by IROQUOIS, Jul 3, 2019.

1. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

2. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

This is a huge issue in Kentucky. People just don't realize how slippery grass clippings are. :confused:

Gator Mcklusky and IROQUOIS like this.
  3. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

It's very commonplace here in rural Illinois to.

sidecarsam likes this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

To helmet or not to helmet,.....personal choice sometimes has dire consequences,....
    Alpal

5. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

This one is terrible on several fronts. Obviously, the guy shooting the grass clipping onto the street is a problem. But I know that I would be way angrier at myself (as the husband) than the grass cutter, for slowing down to flip the guy off knowing that my actions had ultimately contributed to my wife's death.

BD

6. Warlock

Warlock This space for rent.
    Supporter

I don’t like the grass clippings stuff either but crimeny people...you gonna b*itch at God when leaves cover the roads in the fall, or it rains...you’re a frigging motorcycle rider...deal with it. Sorry, I know this sounds callous but it’s the truth.

BTW...full disclosure...I don’t blow my clippings in the road either but I’ve been riding for almost 50 years and I never once thought about it...it’s just another road hazard.

#6 Warlock, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Aargow, sidecarsam, BigDawg and 4 others like this.
  7. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Warlock, I take your point -- but we can't sue or cite God. We can, and do, hold humans accountable for the ill effects of their actions, deliberate and/or aware or unintended/unaware.

My slant is this: the person who last had a chance to avoid the accident was the wife. When riding in a group, attention has to be divided enough way to have one sufficient slice always on the bikes immediately surrounding you as well as the column in general. Normally spaced, it is the responsibility of every rider to signal his intentions to turn or slow; he is responsible to others for his riding. Once another rider pulls in close, into the danger zone of a rider in front of him, it is the following rider's responsibility to keep out of contact with the rider ahead -- just as, for instance, the Blue Angels 2 through 6 constantly eyeball the plane next to them in tight formation.
    Unfortunately Mrs. Zeglen wasn't paying sufficient attention to her husband's riding.

This is why I don't ride in groups any more or with riders whose skill I don't know. Before I quit I had to divide my attention three ways: to my riding, to the scenery, and to the other riders around me. For my aging and often-wandering brain, that cut the attention slices too thin.

Still I consider it irresponsible for Pankey to discharge grass, which is slippery and dangerous even to cages, onto the roadway. All he had to do to avoid it was mow in the opposite direction. Clearly he didn't care, and I hope he gets sued into Section 8.

Bobby Jesus and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Point taken Warlock,......Guess it's a case also of 'ride to the conditions',.........There were a large number of factors which lead to this accident. And being aware of and riding to the conditions seems to be the major factor everyone overlooked,.......

Warlock and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  9. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

On reflection: according to the chain of events recounted, the grass clippings did not cause the accident. Grass on road; husband slows down to shoot the bird at the mower; wife doesn't see him slow and runs into him. Nothing said about wife's bike losing traction on the clippings -- though that may have occurred. If the grass had not been there, she might have been able to panic brake and prevent hitting him. This conjecture or circumstance did not appear in the account.

My comment about Section 8 stands.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  10. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Most of the time the grass clippings are just an annoyance. I've seen two incidents where the grass was wet and laid on the road in a thick, slippery mat.

The first time I came across that was in 2009 near London, Kentucky. We'd just come out of several days of heavy rain. Some moron decided it would be a good time to cut the grass between his fence and the road. The grass was chest high and it was very thick. I didn't realize how thick it was and rode through it. I ended up with a broken collar bone and two broken ribs. The moron on the mower got a minor ticket.

The second time was also in Kentucky. We have very thick grass here. It was near Pine Knot. This moron was doing the same thing. The grass was wet and it clumped up on the road in lumps that would have wrecked a small pickup truck. I stopped for that one and threw some of the clumps back in his yard. One of the neighbors thought I was a bit aggressive and called the cops. That guy got a minor ticket of some kind as well.

I think the incident at the top of this thread was the fault of the woman. You should never hit the bike in front of you.

The other thing that can happen is that any debris laying in the ditch gets into the road with the grass clippings. So you can avoid falling over and still end up with a flat tire.

11. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

The whole thing is a tragedy. I think that the bottom line, is that not wearing a helmet truly caused her death. After my accident, one of the first things I remember the EMT saying, is that if I hadn’t been wearing a helmet, I could be dead. One look at this guy should be all the incentive anyone needs:

890C5C82-D36B-407F-8055-CAE9956CF1D5.jpeg

sidecarsam and Warlock like this.
  12. geewago

geewago Well-Known Member

A lot of SHOULDNT's here:
    Shouldn't have slowed down just to shoot the bird at bozo on mower.
    2.Shouldn't fill road with grass clippings.
    3.Shouldn't run into bike in front of you.
    4.Shouldn't ride without helmet.
    Shouldn't ride Harley

13. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hopefully we will all learn from something like this,..............

IROQUOIS, Gator Mcklusky and BigDawg like this.
  14. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

With some forethought and fast reflexes, you can shoot the bird at road speed.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  15. Warlock

Warlock This space for rent.
    Supporter

Or ya could just keep riding and treat it like any other road hazard.

Rodd, BigDawg and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  16. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

The purpose being ? ? ?

(Assuming that you have some reason to believe that the guy was doing it purposefully as I don't recall getting a notice with any lawnmower I've ever owned telling me not to get grass clippings in the street because it might be a hazard to bikers . . . )

BD

Warlock likes this.
  17. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

This horse is about dead....but wait, here's another perspective.
    Almost every time I mow my lawn, I blow grass clipping into the street. Then, I get my blower out and blow them off the street and the sidewalk, too. I never thought that I was doing anything wrong. I think it would be wrong to leave those clippings on the street, so I don't.
    All that we know about this homeowner is that he blew grass clippings onto the street and he was still mowing his yard (otherwise he wouldn't have been given the middle finger). Do we even know if he was going to leave the grass there or if he was going to clean it up?
    So, here's the question: Do any of you ever blow grass into the street while your mowing and then clean it up after?

Alpal, sidecarsam and Warlock like this.
  18. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah,......you're right Aargow,.......this is a story almost done but I can't help but think back to the bikers,.......no matter what the lawn mower man had or had not done,..........ride to the conditions, pull out hard right if there is a hazard,......watch your six AND your 12 o'clock and wear the gear designed to protect you in the event of the unexpected,...... Instead of a death there may have just been a lot of cussing at the end of the day,.......we'll never know now,......
    Alpal

Warlock and Aargow like this.