Goal: 1 V-Twin class

Discussion in 'AFT American Flat Track Racing' started by IROQUOIS, Jan 1, 2022.

1. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

We've talked previously at how bad the AFT product is packaged for television. I really think it's Super/Production-Twins as a main event preceded by undercard heats. Giving hooligans a chance to advance from the undercard would add drama and an underdog to root for.

As it all stands now, it's too long, too much, and lacks a coherent storyline.

Steve Miller and IROQUOIS like this.
  3. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Well-Known Member
    Original 111

I like this. I hope it works.

I have always been opposed to the use of non-production models in the premier class. I see this as a way to get that fixed. I hope the SuperTwins bikes become more like the Production Twins bikes rather than the other way around.

Obviously, the bikes would need some modification to race safely. But, Flat Track is supposed to be a race that can be enjoyed by the typical biker. It would be better if the bikes were more like what we can actually buy.

As for the TV shows: Just put motorcycle people in charge of it instead of car people. That will make it much better.

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Hmm, I am ok with both PTs and STs racing at the same time, ie- a race within a race, but I would take any changes in ST's as a step backwards... grew up in racing (dirt car and MC), did a little myself and every time a sanctioning body does anything to "level" the playing field or build a "premiere" class, it really does nothing but water down the racing. If you really want to grow the sport nationally so you have more than 10-15 in the feature, you first have to have it locally.

I attend at least 9-10 local flat track races every year and the field is small (thought more than once on entering my FTR in a few). Not a lot of kids are racing which makes it harder to build up nationally. I try to attend as many AFT races as my schedule allows. Plan on the Springfield, Red Mile, and Atlanta race unless the world crashes.

Too bad my granddaughter is not close to where I live. I would build her a track behind my race shop and have her on a bike and learning how to race...

BTW- racing that has heats, semi's and features is not TV friendly, better in person.

#4 Eeyore, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    doublej, IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.