Garage door opener

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Dtaz, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Dtaz

Dtaz New Member

I have 2017 Chieftain Elete, there are 2 switches on the tank, one is for the saddlebag lock, the other is for the heated seat which I don't have. i would like to use the unused switch to connect to a spare garage door opener. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know where the wires from this switch go and what color they are? Thanks, Frank

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Well-Known Member

If you are going to use the seat location switch then I would suggest you simply run two new wires for your remote direct to the switch and leave the existing seat wiring alone.
    You need the actual switch for this that fits the console.

Aargow likes this.
  3. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Thank @Glenn Greenlee for this:

CuChulain likes this.
  4. Dtaz

Dtaz New Member

The pushbutton switch, # 84822, is that an Indian part #??? Thanks, great video! Frank

5. CuChulain

CuChulain Well-Known Member
    Supporter

6. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

Sure thing Dtaz - I did exactly this recently - and wrote a step by step for our local forum here in Oz.

Here goes...

First thing - find a spare switch (yellow circle) - my dealer gave me mine (for free!!) and installed it during a service. I believe this switch is from heated grips and the centre switch (red arrow) is the one in use. The dealer highlighted the two wires that closed the circuit for this switch. In my case it was the red and black wires. I lifted the speedo console by removing the two hex socket bolts - one shown within the blue circle (below) and the other out of sight on the forward section of the console.
    [​IMG]

I then used about a 1m length of telephone wire, removed the phone connectors and attached the ends between the highlighted wires from the heater switch and the two telephone cable wires above (red and green). The blue circle below is the underside of the switch and you can see the insulation tape I have sloppily covered the join with.
    [​IMG]

I then routed the telephone wire down under console and the leather strap. It fits neatly under the small metal bridge that the bottom hex socket bolt fits into. I used telephone wire because it happened to house two small wires that suit the purpose - flat shape that fits under and through all the things that it needs to.
    [​IMG]

Next, you need to open up a (spare?) garage remote, unclip it out of its housing and identify the switch it is using to trigger the door (mine was the one in the yellow circle shown below). Flip that over and select the two solder points that line up with the targeted switch (2 blue circles). To be certain, you can use trial and error by first prepping the wire ends by trimming down a short section of exposed wire (about 3mm) and applying some solder to the wires. You can then hold these two soldered wire ends on all the suspect solder points on the circuit board, in turn, until the right combination triggers the garage door when you depress the new switch on the console. I removed the remote’s battery for all the fiddly work with the circuit board except for this part. Once you get the door to work using this method, note the correct solder points and carefully attach the two wires to those points, ensuring you don’t touch other soldered points on the board. By the way, I used the 1m length of telephone cord to allow me to do all the circuit board soldering work away from the bike (you could shorten this if you wanted to).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I then used my soldering iron to make (melt) a small semi circle in the remote’s housing (blue circles below) to allow it to close with the new wire attached. Re-assemble the housing and you are all set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just to be sure it will be OK in the weather, I placed it inside a small plastic box that I found, wrapped the spare cable length around the box and used some hardy hair ties (since replaced with a zip tie) to keep it closed fairly securely. It all fits easily into the top space under the left side cover (last photo). I put a new battery in the remote, although it will be very easy to replace the battery when required.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope that helps and I am sure you (or others) can improve on it (or do neater work!).

Let me know if any questions

#6 JuanPoopalot, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Andy, Aargow and CuChulain like this.
  7. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

Great tutorial, Juan!

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  8. Dtaz

Dtaz New Member

I don't know what year or model has that plug in the dash/fairing, but my 2017 Elite does not have it. I guess i will go with my original thought and use the unused heated grip switch that is next to the saddlebag lock switch. Now to find the part # for that switch!!!

9. CuChulain

CuChulain Well-Known Member
    Supporter

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  10. MilwDave

MilwDave Member

11. rusty nuts

rusty nuts Active Member

I looked into several options and ended up going with the factory opener. Not as user friendly as the tank option, but no batteries to worry about.
    Garage Door Opener | Indian Motorcycle

Dagwood likes this.
  12. Andy

Andy Active Member

@JuanPoopalot
    thx for this tutorial, can i copy it , translate it and put it on the Indian Revival Forum ? (euro french langage forum)

13. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

I solved the garage door opener issue very simply by getting one of the little leather pockets that fit on of the tank immediately in front of the seat, and putting a $30 clip-on universal opener it in, upside down, clip on the top of the pocket. The clip is hidden by the pocket's flap. Works like a charm. Also carry a mini-flashlight in it and occasionally some other small object. Great place for some extra bullets, too.

Aargow likes this.
  14. tthunder38

tthunder38 Well-Known Member

CuChulain likes this.
  15. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Well-Known Member

Sure thing! Go for it.

In fact, if you see something you would like to change - feel free.

I am just glad its helpful.

Andy and Aargow like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Active Member

Thx, i'll do my best for the translation

JuanPoopalot likes this.
  17. MilwDave

MilwDave Member

18. Andy

Andy Active Member

I have a simple idea to do this thing, if you take a remote control, remove the battery and block the switch in the ON position, then connect the two poles to the cables of your full headlight then put the remote control in the light housing, with each lighthouse call you open / close your door right?

19. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Huh. And hmm. Would that burn out the transmitter early? (I can envision riding down the street in one of those zero-side-yard sardine-can neighborhoods and ever tenth garage door going up or down . . . )

Andy likes this.
  20. Dtaz

Dtaz New Member

Plus it is almost impossible to find a GDO that works on 12 volts