FYI: IndianAftermarket.com's 3" No Mar Shifter Toe Peg on 2020 Springfield

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Riding Gear & Accessories' started by South Jersey Dave, Dec 21, 2020.

1. South Jersey Dave

I have short legs and had a bit of trouble comfortably reaching the toe peg on the shifter arm of my 2020 Springfield. Since I'm well past any future growth spurts I decided to give IndianAftermarket.com's 3" No Mar Shifter Toe Peg a shot.

It arrived sans instructions but from what I could see it looked simple enough: unscrew the stock toe peg and screw in the new one. Eazy-peazy, right?

Wrong and I'm offering up these instructions to those who may be having trouble removing their stock shifter toe peg and wonder what they might be doing wrong.

I started by covering the stock peg with a rag to protect it (just in case I decided to put it back later). I then grabbed my channel-locks and gave the pega good twist counter-clockwise. Since it didn't move I tried again. And again. And again. And again.

No amount of torque and swearing would allow me to loosen the stock shifter toe peg from the shifter arm (see you in Hell, red Loctite) so I--like many others--had to resort to the use of a butane micro-torch applied to the hole in the head of the shift lever (on the bike side, opposite of where the stock peg screws into) to loosen up the stock peg enough so that it could be removed. I'd heat it for 5-10 seconds then give it a shot and after 3 or 4 attempts it finally started to loosen up.

After grabbing a well-deserved beer I cleaned out the hole in the shifter arm with mineral spirits applied via Q-tip. Ditto the end of the screw that goes through the new shifter peg. I did this until no traces of black remained then dried them both with a couple of dry Q-tips. This so as to help prepare the surfaces to play nicely with the blue Loctite threadlocker that you'll want to use when screwing the new shifter toe peg into the hole in the shifter arm.

Next, using a 6mm long-handled hex (I used a T-handle) screw the bolt all the way into the new shifter peg as far as it'll go. As you proceed it might get a bit harder to turn so use a rag or whatever it takes to hold the peg in place while you drive the screw.

Once the screw is through the peg as far as it'll go apply a small amount of the blue threadlocker to the threads on the end of the bolt that are coming out of the end of the peg. You don't need much--no more than about 1/4". Allow it a few seconds to sink into the thread, wiping away any excess with your finger.

Finally, screw the bolt into the hole in the shifter arm. Tighten it up (no idea of the torque setting...sorry) and let it sit for a day to fully cure.

Here's the finished product:

[​IMG]

Nothing fancy, should be just what's needed to do the job.

Happy riding and keep the rubber side down!

4thunder, Ling and Baldhead_J like this.
  2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Thanks for that.

3. South Jersey Dave

You're welcome!