FTR 1200 S features ??

Discussion in 'Indian FTR 1200 Forum' started by Geo19, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Geo19

Geo19 Member

Indian's website for the FTRs lists: lean-angle sensitive stability control, ABS, traction control, and wheelie mitigation control. I understand ABS(Anti lock breaks) Traction Control (No spinning or sliding of tires) but what is lean-angle sensitive stability control Indian needs to tell us what it is, how it works, can it be turned off ? And what is wheelie mitigation control again Indian needs to tell us what it is, how it works, and can it be turned off.
    Indian can not list a feature called wheelie mitigation control without telling potential buyer all about it, I will not buy something based on some salesman's pitch. I want to know everything about it, and I want to see specs, tests, and read feedback from customers.
    Wake up Indian and stop treating customers like stupid children. Also put that package in the Scout frame and you will sell some.

JayFL459 likes this.
  2. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

I think ABS is a good option to have although would not stop me from buying a Ride I truly liked just because did not have it .. As far as all the rest of it, have not needed it in 50 years riding so pass on a bunch of new options that can go wrong especially when not even familiar with how they work.. Some of the newer model cars have so much crap that people are in the shop more they they are driving because getting Codes that can only be cleared or fixed by a dealership computer ..

3. Geo19

Geo19 Member

No one has any comments on: lean-angle sensitive stability control & wheelie mitigation control !!!! Indian wants to sell it to you but they tell you nothing about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Where are all the experts ???????????????????????? :eek:

4. N. Cognito

N. Cognito Active Member

I don't think that either of those are so mysterious:

Stability control is in all likelyhood traction control, meaningn the system will intervene to limit rear wheel slippage under acceleration (or at least not under braking conditions). Making it lean angle sensitive suggests that the level of intervention is different when leaned over, and that the intervention can be triggered by both wheel spin and unexpected yaw movements of the chassis.

Wheelie mitigation is intervention to prevent ... wheelies. Or to limit them. The intervention would likely be triggered by the combination of different front to rear wheel speeds and rotational movement of the chassis indicating front wheel lift. It would have to have both variables, otherwise it could conceivably be triggered by rear wheel slip on an uphill.

These systems will almost certainly be rider-tuneable and to some degree switchable.

The "experts" are probably writing the articles as we speak, subject to media embargo by IMC.

We don't need no steenking experts. As @JayFL459 says (my paraphrasing): If ya likes the bike, buy the bike.

5. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

6. N. Cognito

N. Cognito Active Member

And sucked me right in...

doublej likes this.
  7. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Bronze Member

It isn't that hard to figure out what the lean angle traction control and wheelie mitigation are. Other manufacturers have been using them for 5 or 6 years now. Ducatti, for instance. A quick web search provided me with the answers to your questions. You could try doing the same. Or you could just sit there and bitch. Your choice.

Here's a tidbit for ya. Go find the rest yourself.

"The straight-line ABS is nothing particularly new, but the introduction of corner sensitive traction control and Corner ABS certainly is. The brain behind this technology is the Inertia Measuring Unit (IMU) that can detect angles of roll, yaw, and pitch. With this data, the ABS and Traction Control systems can intervene to prevent many crashes caused by over-exuberant braking or throttle inputs. Without the IMU, TC and ABS cannot detect and then intervene to arrest traction loss that includes a lateral slide. With the lean-angle sensitive IMU, it can bleed engine torque or brake power if it detects abrupt changes in pitch, lean or direction."

sidecarsam likes this.