Front struts oil

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Alpal, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

well, they have bounced up and down a good number of times since August 2014 so I figure it's about time I did my struts a favour and changed the oil. I have fitted a set of Ikon springs for a better ride but am wondering what oil to fill the struts up with,.......yes,..... Could use the good old Indian fallback oil but what have other people out there used and what differences, if any have they noticed?
    Alpal

2. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Spectro SAE20 Fork Oil WITH 160mm air gap.

doublej, JayFL459 and Alpal like this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Thank you Rod,........now,.....when are you coming up to do it?
    Regards,
    Alpal

4. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Would be a good trip, but will have to fit in some work time first.
    I need to replace a fork seal and was thinking of installing Ricor intiminators while I have the forks out; do you know anyone over here who's tried them?

Alpal likes this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Mate, I'm having trouble pronouncing the word let alone knowing anything about them!
    Alpal

6. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Changing out the springs and putting in heavier oil made a big improvement in front end handling but if these Ricors (dropped the other word cause, I agree, it's wierd) are as good as some of the HD reviews suggest at stopping brake dive then they might be worth a go.

7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Are you still having trouble with brake dive?,.....playing submarines still? I thought you fitted stronger front springs?
    Alpal

8. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

The heavier springs and oil work great for solo rides. Would just like to improve the 2 up control a bit more.

JayFL459, doublej and Alpal like this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Oh yeah, I forgot there's two of you on board,.......

doublej likes this.
  10. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Changing the Fork Seals.
    After this mornings ride both the seals are leaking now:mad: When the first one started to leak I was able to clean out the grit with a piece of plastic film and this fixed it for a while. Now that trick isn't working and the other one has started to leak as well.
    forkseals1.jpg
    I've got a two week road trip coming up so the bike went on the jack this afternoon.
    forkseals2.jpg
    I'm not going to give a running commentary on the whole front end because that information is easily available in other places (unless someone wants specific details then I might be able to help), but there are a few little tricks that make getting the old seals out really easy.
    Take off the cap. (The cap is under tension from the spring so be careful to hold some weight down on it as it come free) Remove the preload spacer and spring out of the strut but leave the oil in. Now extend the strut a little and add some more oil (I poured in the old oil from the other strut). Push the strut down now till the oil almost overflows and screw the cap back on hand tight. The idea here is to remove as much air as possible.
    Prise the dust seal up being careful not to damage it because it goes back on afterwards. Prise out the spring clip out from above the seal.
    forkseals3.jpg
    Now sit the fork unit into an F clamp and tighten it up slowly till the seal slides up and out.
    This is very controlled (providing there is no air in the strut) and doesn't take much force, as you can see from the cheap clamp that I used.
    forkseals4.jpg
    When the seal comes out there is a washer and a bush below it. Be careful to put these back in the same order on reassembly. Also take note of which way up the seal goes.
    Next, tip all the oil into the other strut and repeat the exercise.
    Drain the oil and clean and dry everything.
    Reassembly:
    Fit back the bush and washer. Lightly oil the inside of the new seal and slide that down into place, checking that it is the right way up. Slide a piece of correct size tube down onto the seal and press it squarely down into its seat. The tube should be close in diameter to the outside of the seal and be cut with a square end.
    forkseals5.jpg
    Fit the spring clip and slide the dust seal back into place.
    Now pour in the new oil to just above the final level, which in my case will be 160mm below the top, with the spring out and the strut compressed. (This level is thanks to @DarkScout who did the hard yards improving suspension setup on scouts) Pump the strut full stroke a few times to remove all trapped air then drop a suction pipe 160mm into the tube and draw off the excess oil till it sucks air. That's the oil done. (You can simply measure down to the oil but I find that more difficult and messy to get accurate)
    forkseals6.jpg
    Slide the spring back in, checking it's the right way up and the same as the other side. (I have progressive wound springs and prefer to fit them with the tight windings at the top so that there is less unsprung mass) Fit the preload spacer back on top of the spring and screw the cap back on.
    The cap can be torqued up on the bike. There isn't enough room for a socket to fit on top of the fork once it's right back up by the handlebars (unless you also remove the handlebars) so just lock the fork into the bottom clamp and torque it up before fitting it back into both clamps.
    forkseals7.jpg
    Reassemble the front end, double check everything is fitted correctly and done up tight and that's it, job done. Off for the test ride.:)
    Only for me that will have to be tomorrow because I actually didn't have quite enough 20w fork oil sitting at home. :confused::confused:

#10 Rodd, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  11. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Good pictorial Info Rodd ... When I put the Traxxion Cartridges in my Scout way back when, I do remember after going with the recommended 15W that I think 20W would have been a better choice ..

Rodd and doublej like this.
  12. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

At my 15,000-mile service, service manager suggested I skip the fork oil change because there was no leakage or sticking. But when it comes time to change oil or renew seals, I'm going to use this process: start Grog, drive it to the Wigwam with the Executive Department behind me in her cage, fill out a service order, ride home with Executive Department, and in due course ride back with Executive Department, sign an invoice, proffer a credit card, start Grog, and ride it home.

Creek, Scouts Honour and Rodd like this.
  13. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

I beleive that Keith (Darkscout) also always recommended going to a 20W .

JayFL459 and Rodd like this.
  14. Scouts Honour

Scouts Honour Well-Known Member

Good skills @Rodd, I love tinkering with the Scout but that’s a bit much for me to tackle. I’d need help to take that on-:)

Rodd likes this.
  15. SixShooter

SixShooter Well-Known Member

Progressive springs and 20 weight oil for me Alpal.

JayFL459 likes this.
  16. Creek

Creek Member

RaceTech suspension on my 2016 Scout changed my life! New springs & some machining to increase oil flow & recovery on forks; adjustable rear shocks built to handle any type of riding I want. Installation by Kent at GMDATL.com. 100% better...different bike!!
    Know I’m late on this thread, but have to suggest stock Scout suspension should be one of the first things to go. Preaching to the choir here ha!
    Gotta get to work, but do have a question or two about tuning, performance,etc.
    Recently my throttle response has changed. It used to be instant at any speed, or condition. Still seems to accelerate through the gears just fine-power seems to be there... but-when I’m slowing down, giving the throttle a little blip as I downshift through the gears, I sometimes get a delayed response for a second. She’s also acted this way starting from a stop. It’s a small difference, but affects my riding in a negative way. I’m used to instant throttle response whether slowing down to stop, or starting from a stop. Thought it might be in my head at first, but it’s not. Actually stalled her once starting from stop. I’ve mentioned it to one of the techs at my Indian shop, but didn’t get much explanation, but he understood exactly what I was talking about. Anyway she just went over 10,000 miles & has had all proper service. Hoping this can be tuned out or diagnosed because I love my little rocket ship at 100%. Any ideas y’all? Thanks

17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

What have you done to the bike recently? Had a service?,.....fitted a tuner?,.....played with intake or exhaust?,.........is it back firing a little when you back off?,....a slight hesitation like you are describing can be an indication of a lean mixture,.........hence the questions above,......
    Alpal

18. Creek

Creek Member

Thanks for reply Alpal. I put Vance & Hines 4” slip ons around 5-6,000 miles. Had it done for me at my Indian shop. They did a flash tune if I remember correctly & she’s run great until about the last 400 miles (has about 10,300 now).
    I had my 10,000 mile service at about 9,700 miles. So the symptoms started about 200 miles later. I think it is backfiring slightly when I let off. I paid close attention to sound & feel of bike after exhaust change & it was backfiring I was listening for-was nice & smooth until recently. I’ve not done anything to bike except suspension & exhaust.
    I have taken your advice & I’m playing the lottery so I can travel to NZ & ride with y’all!! When I win, I’ll let you know! Thanks again

19. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Haven't changed your fuel recently?,......

You may need to have the dealer run his magic box over it but never forget the simple things also,.......those boxes don't know everything,.....
    Alpal

20. Creek

Creek Member

No haven’t changed fuel, and I did think about that. I used to be able to work on some of my vehicles back in the day before the drive by wire days. Not anymore. There are 13 computers on my truck & it’s 15 years old...yuk.
    Running lean is a strong possibility. Was a little stubborn to start after riding about 100 miles in north Georgia, & breaking for lunch. One of my local Indian employees asked me how much fuel was in the tank-about 1-1&1/2 gallons. One of my riding buddies who was there, asked me if my fuel was turned on because he thought it sounded like it wasn’t getting fuel. Fuel was on, but I couldn’t hear because 4 bikes running next to me & my helmet being on. If it was my old Triumph, we’d all know it’s those damn Amal carbs haha
    Thx again- will update when fixed

JayFL459 likes this.