Fork travel

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by POPs, May 17, 2019.

1. POPs

POPs New Member

Should my forks return all the way to the top when I get off of the bike? My forks don't they stay down about an 5/8" is this normal? 2018 Bobber less than 1000 miles

2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi POPs, are you saying that with the bike at rest you can lift the front suspension up 5/8"? Bearing in mind it's 04.24 hours over here I'd have to say no, that's not right,.....there should not be any 'slop' in the struts,........

3. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Providing they are not sloppy then the more important question would be where they sit when your are sitting on your bike in full riding gear. It should then be about 1/3 travel down from fully extented, probably about 35mm (1 3/8 inches) on the bobber (I don't have a manual so somebody correct me if it's different) This is called rider sag or static sag and is needed so that the forks can extend to keep the front wheel on the ground when you go over negative bumps like potholes. You check this by extending the fork fully and measuring from the seal to a fixed point on the strut. Either put the bike on a jack or have a friend pull up on the bike to extend the forks while you take the measurement. Then sitting on the bike in normal riding position in all your riding gear get the same measurement. The bike must be sitting vertical on both wheels. The difference between the two measurements should be around 35mm. If you have to get the measurement by yourself you can put a cable tie around the strut just tight enough that it will move when it comes up against the seal. The tie will hold the position of the second measurement for you.
    Most bikes sit down a few mms at rest with no rider on.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  4. Scouts Honour

Scouts Honour Well-Known Member

You guys have so much useful information, this forum is awesome. And yet the cable tie comes in handy once again. Who needs number 8 wire when you have a cable tie-:)

Alpal likes this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

thats evolution for Ya Ian!!!!:cool::p:D

Scouts Honour likes this.
  6. POPs

POPs New Member

Thanks for the input, I contacted the dealer and spoke with the tech and he said that at rest they should not return all the way to the top.

theMucker likes this.
  7. POPs

POPs New Member

Thanks for the input, I contacted the dealer and spoke with the tech and he said that at rest they should not return all the way to the top.

8. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

That tech guy is correct if you straddle the front wheel pull down with both hands on the handle bars quite forcibly and let go, the bike will return top out on finally sit down again. Also static measurement is when bike is of the ground with both front or rear wheels clear of the ground ( best to do both at same time )Riders sag is when you get on the bike gently and let the bike absorb the weight. As for acceptable riders sag either front /rear I have searched every where but never found a review of what is ok. You can find all sorts on sport bikes but they have different use and riding position and even though the set up concept is the same there does not seem to be any thing for our style of bike. In my view scout suspension is just poor front and rear.

JayFL459, Baldhead_J and muz like this.
  9. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Cost me a Pretty Penny to get the Suspension Right on my 2015 Scout but I heard has improved a lot, although have not really checked it all out that much since Traded it in 2 1/2 years ago ..

10. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

Ok my scout is 2018 with cartridges they are a sealed unit and can not without major work be altered. the springs are so light weight, and have dropped from 390mm long pre 2018 to 320mm for the cartridge units so I don't believe there has been an improvement over scout pre2018 Really it is just a sales thing by Indian I have changed to K-tech tracker. As for the rear most suspension makers over all the years of making shocks have determined that there needs to be between 65mm to 85mm of available shaft travel for twin shock bikes, and of course we all know that there is only 35mm on the stock shocks,even though the angle is not the best, it is simply the available travel which is the problem, also most all suspension companies have moved or moving away from progressive springing. for instance the stock cartridge spring when removed form my bike are proggressive I pushed down on with one hand and that completely closed the bottom 100mm to the point you cannot get a piece of paper in between the coils that only left 220mm of open coil to take more compression. I was at the New Zealand k-tech when he rebuilt my front end.As I have said before on here, the front is more important in my view than the rear as your first up grade.

muz likes this.