Father in law's question

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Alpal, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi all,.....

Murray the father in law asked me a question that had me stumped. I think O know the answer but thought to ask them that drive,.....

Where is the accelerator in American cars?,.....on the left or on the right?

Alpal

2. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

Right

will, Gina and Alpal like this.
  3. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

and we drive on the "right" side of the road unlike others...:p

will and Alpal like this.
  4. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Murray has now asked where were column change gear levers?,....left of steering wheel or right?
    We're filling in time,......:cool::p:D,....just waiting for the end!;):rolleyes:

5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Chuckles all round down here:p:p:):):D:D

6. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

I don't really understand your question.... elaborate further or give an example what you mean...a little bit of language barrier..on that inquiry.

7. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

We sit on the left side and shift gears with our right hand..... Murray is messing with me isn't he....lol

8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

How old are you?,......Do you recall column change cars?,..... Down here my 57 Ford V8 Customline had column change, gear lever operated by the left hand.........I did change it to a flash chrome floor change after a while.:p,......So where was, or is the gear lever on a column change left hand drive american car?,.....On the left side of the steering wheel, (like here ) or on the right side of the steering wheel?,......Better yet, in an American column change car, which arm did you use to change gear?,.......:confused::oops:o_O,......is that easier?:oops:o_O:),.......

9. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

Oh yes...! 3-speed on the column. Had a 62'Chevy Belair with that arrangement. Actually fun to drive.
    Still drive manual shift cars. 2 cars with 5-speed manual and the pickup with 6-speed manual.
    I prefer them. I don't encounter much traffic with the early hours I work so it's not a issue.

To answer your question....on the right.

JonScout likes this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I remember learning to drive .......got my heavy truck, car, and other licences at 16 soon as I joined the Army,.......We learned to drive in WW2 Ford Holmes Wrecker recovery trucks,.....every time we looked down or over at the gear lever our Sargent, big Dave Ruha, a tough, quiet spoken Maori, would whack us with the edge of a 12" rule !,..ouch!!,......Anyway I got my licences and a brief time later had to take a Ford Cortina Staff car to the workshops,.....Did I cock that up!!,......Ford Holmes Wrecker trucks that we had, had been converted to right hand drive, BUT!!!!,....someone decided not to change around the clutch and brake pedals to suit the New Zealand vehicle pattern........How quickly the mind can forget, as you change from one gear to the next and that 'Clutch" you are pushing down is in fact the 'Brake' . The brain had fallen into Ford Wrecker truck driving mode and as I went to change up, slammed my foot, not Cortina clutch, but truck brake!!

I'm glad of two things,....one being nobody was following me and two,.....nobody saw me or asked about any brake screech!

Thanks for your help @IROQUOIS , Murray can go to his mate Tom's place and fill him in on what he found out at Alpal's place:cool::p:D about their earlier conversation,.....

#10 Alpal, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Similar to ours in Burtland but we never had the canvas area.
    ford f60h 12 cab wrecker small copy.jpg
    Now this one is more like what I learned to drive in.,......I also learnt today that they are not US made trucks but Canadian made started just before WW2. They were made by Ford and Chev and labelled CMP trucks,....CMP standing for Canadian Made Pattern. Amazingly Canada produced approx 850,000 of these and other vehicles throughout the war. Also, they were not converted to Right hand drive on arrival in Burtland because they already were RHD and they were made for the BRITISH Armed services. Judging from the radiator badge I would suggest the pic below is of a Chev Wrecker. You can see the steering wheel in both pics.

Ford Holmes Wrecker Truck.jpg
    Goes to show you are never to old to learn something,.....I still wonder why they built them with clutch and brake pedals reversed?????
    Alpal

Ling, doublej, IROQUOIS and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

Three on the tree.

Ling, doublej, IROQUOIS and 3 others like this.
  13. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

Yes....I remember calling it that now that you mention it.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  14. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

Yeah, gearshift, whether it's on the column or on the floor, is on the driver's right side. The only exception that I know of was the old push button automatics. We had an old Rambler wagon with one and the buttons were on the dash, left of the steering wheel.

Pedals are Accelerator to the far right, brake in the middle, and clutch (if manual) on the left.

BD

doublej and IROQUOIS like this.
  15. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

When I was in high school I worked after school at a full-service car wash and on Saturdays. One day a Mercedes came through where I drove them off to the side so the customer can pick it up and leave. I kept putting it in reverse and come to find out it was a four speed on the column not a three-speed. I had to shut the line down so the car behind it wouldn't run into it until I figured out what I was doing.
    I had no idea they existed.

16. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

That does bring back memories: Three on the tree or Four on the floor.
    Driving with a crash gearbox, double declutching to match revs and get that perfect gear change every time ..... a forgotten or never learned skill these days.

Alpal, BigDawg and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  17. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

That's the one!!

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  18. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I marvel at a lot of 'bikers' as they approach the stop sign near my house with all their double-de-clutching on syncro-mesh gearboxes????,....All they are doing is wearing out the syncro on each gear by spinning them excessively,......but hey if it makes you feel good doing it,.......
    Alpal

19. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

So true @Rodd. Big trucks dont have synchronized transmission's that's why floating gears is still in practice.
    Automatic transmission's have come about because of the inability of the of the crowd coming into the industry doesn't know how to shift a manual transmission.

#19 IROQUOIS, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  20. Ling

Ling Member

I learned to drive in my Dad's 56 Chevy. Three on the tree. He bought it in June 1956 and we still have the car, and all of the original sales paperwork. My Dad was in the Air Force, stationed in Texas but he bought the car in Chicago. His brother drove the car from Chicago to Texas and we also have all the gas receipts from that trip. All handwritten. As he got older, I used to drive him around in his car and I still do the same thing with my Mother. We always get a lot of looks and compliments.

May he Rest in Peace
    Dad with Chevy.JPG

#20 Ling, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    BigDawg, Alpal, ebigfish and 4 others like this.