Extneded warrenty

Discussion in 'Indian Chief Dark Horse' started by Gina, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

Basically coming up on my two year mark soon and the Squaw will not have anything but me backing her. So the question is the extended warranty really worth the money you pay for it. I will say non of the recall except the reboot effected her and to be honest I really don't see a difference in her after wards. Had on the Submarine (o7 street glide) and only time I went to use it they said the rear sprocket was not covered so it left me more PO then anything. Besides Jay and Big Daddy has anyone had any problems with these machines that warrants the cost of the warranty? Plan on keeping her another couple years and then treading to a chieftain. Miss my tunes and fairing. Have not put the usual amount of miles on her so she still has less then 10,000 ( at the moment) being home for a minute has giving me the time to rack some miles up on her. So honest opinions only no promo please. What say you my fellow Indian tribe?

2. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents, Gina...if your bike has been "solid" up to this point, I'd say you have a good one and any systemic problems would have been known by now. Next, Polaris wants way too much $$$ for their extended warranty, but you can cancel it and supposedly expect a refund of some of the premium (ask Polaris at 1-877-472-1372). Given the low mileage on your bike, and if I was facing the same question, I'd probably take a pass since you plan to trade it off in 2 years.

If you decide to get the extended warranty, your dealer should be able to offer a better price than the MSRP. Check around and get some quotes to see how much the warranty could cost with a discount.

I'm not sure of your particular circumstances (it's your business), but if you know you want to trade for a Chieftain, model change over is a great time to consider it...especially given your low mileage which will mean more $ on a trade. Consider the offset in dollars for an extended warranty and the reduced value of your trade in 2 years against a deal sooner when dealers are trying to make room for the new models. That worked for me on the Springfield purchase when the only significant difference between the 2016 and 2017 red Springfield was price.

I'm not sure how much help any of this is, but let us know what you decide.

Gina likes this.
  3. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Original 111

I have 35,000 miles on mine in just over a year, no problems. I have the extended warranty, but not sure it was a good use of money - I have had zero problems, except for the recalls. If your putting 10,000 miles a year and going to trade it off in a couple years I don't see you needing it - but that is just me.

Gina, Baldhead_J and JayFL459 like this.
  4. Rawhide

Rawhide Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Gina,
    Put the $ for the extended warranty in your savings account and use it when you need some work done on the bike. Or, put the money towards a new/used bike that has a full warranty when the time is right.
    A reasonable alternative for your tunes is a Bluetooth device, I use the UClear and have had great success. It is very clear and uses a technology that does not require a boom microphone if you want to talk with others while ridding. The other riders will need a Bluetooth unit as well, or use the phone ( I personally dont use the phone feature)

Rawhide

Gina and Baldhead_J like this.
  5. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Bronze Member
    Supporter Original 111

My 2014 came with the 5 year plan. The only time that I had any real warranty work was in the first two years, the last year has been trouble free.
    I have over 40,000 miles on the Chieftain and overall have had only two warranty issues to date.
    In your situation, I don't think that I would buy an additional warranty.

Gina and sidecarsam like this.
  6. turkeyfoot

turkeyfoot Well-Known Member

I spent nothing because my 84 mo (7 total yrs) ext was worked into the deal. But yes, it helps to have yours stand apart from the crowded resale market. An extended warranty will do that, imo. It cost $45 for the transfer (done by the buyer). If you trade in, the dealer probably wont give a squat. So you've got to know what you intend to do when you sell. Are you willing to forego trading it in and advertise and sell before a new purchase or sell after a new buy?. My dealer offered $2200 on what I later sold for $4000. Thats enough justification for the extended, I think. And you'll have peace of mind.
    That being said in the twelve yrs I owned my last bike, I had one claim at 1200 mi. for a valve cover gasket. Paid $396 for 3 yrs after the 2 yr factory. The prior one, the buyer transferred my extended and walked away happy to have it.

Gina likes this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Original 111

Morning Gina,

I bought the extended warranty offered on my VS800 all those years ago and as it approached its expiry I began to think, well, that was a waste of money. However in the last week my fuel pump died. It was covered with days to spare. After that I thought, hey, what is it there for? It had my back, and it paid off,.......and even if I hadn't claimed? ,.......it had my back,......since then, I never have and never will regret back up,.....
    Alpal

Gina likes this.
  8. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Like Others said think I would Pass in your Case unless got some Road Trips planned that would really hike up the Mileage .. While the Scout was a Rare Exception needing rebuilt, the only time used an Extended Warranty before was on my 09 Ultra and even then 90% of the trouble was after got past 50,000 Miles ..

#8 JayFL459, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Gina likes this.
  9. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Do it.
    Don't pass go, don't give it a second thought.
    Just do it.

Alpal likes this.
  10. Gina

Gina Bronze Member
    Original 111

Thanks guys for the honest input, one of the reason I come here. I really have been tossing and turning over this one but....

@SouthernProducer , I was thinking along your lines as this is not a Harley, this has been a solid bike . Last trip I heard some clacking and a squeak in the front. Thinking to check brake and pads when I get a minute this week.

I really do want a Chieftain, I miss my fairing and tunes when I am putting down the road. I would probably be doing this trade in a year or so, because of unexpected circumstance do not want to drop piles of money right at the moment and do not want added finical burdens. The Wooly man says see what kind of trade I can get for the Squaw and go from there. I am thinking in a year when things are better and back to my normal way of life. So hoping in a year the dark horse chieftain will have a few more upgrades.

sidecarsam and SouthernProducer like this.