Extended warranty. Is it worth it? Term?

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Cape Cod Steve, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Cape Cod Steve

I’m signing the final paperwork this Saturday for my 21’ RM limited.

They have given me the options on extended warranty’s. And they start from time of delivery. Not after the factory one ends. So for example a 5 yr extended warranty last five years but really only getting an additional 3yrs.

I don’t know enough about Indian repair costs and long term reliability.

I value all of you members experience with this one.

3 yr = $830. Only additional 1 yr
    4 yr = $1,040
    5 yr =$1,360
    6 yr = $1,670
    7 yr = $2,000>

do our bikes reliability over time get to the point I would want to drop $2,000 for extra coverage? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought extended warranty’s with new cars and never use it.

I’m thinking about the 5yr one. It covers the bike during the term of my loan. Like to think if something major is going to happen it will by my 5th summer.

please chime in, I’ll be much appreciative

Lake City Larry likes this.
  2. RedChieftain

RedChieftain Active Member

I have the 7 year, Steve, and it gives me peace of mind. The more you ride the greater the chances you'll need it. The bikes are very reliable in my experience, having bought a 2014 when Spirit Lake Indians first came out. I've switched them over the years for new features and currently ride a 2019 RM. I don't ride the number of miles I used to but I average over 10,000 miles/year and like the peace of mind it gives me. I hope I never have to use it but they paid for themselves when I rode Harleys.

Lake City Larry and Klyde1 like this.
  3. lichla1988

lichla1988 New Member

I bought a Victory Vision and bought the extended warranty, the 5 year, this has been a few years ago so i don't remember what I paid for it. The only problem I had and put 46K miles on it was ABS sensors (Would only last about 10K miles). I remember about breaking even. They had a $50 copay. Make sure this warranty does not have a copay and is available at different Indians stores. When I bought my 2018 Chieftain Dark Horse, I did by the 5 year plan and negotiated to $1000 dollars, was a little higher I remember. So far with 12K miles I have only had a small minor issue, that was fixed under the original warranty. The Indians are a very reliable bike and so was my Victory. My Indian as far as reliability ranks 2 in bikes I've owned, a Yamaha being #1, #3 Victory Vision, #99 Harley.

4. will

will Silver Member
    Original 111

I bought our Vintage back in 16, didn’t get the extended warranty, the bike came with a two year warranty if I remember correctly. Indian keep sending me the extended paperwork for almost the full two years. When the warranty was almost up I went ahead and purchased the extended warranty for the additional time I had on the loan, saved a few bucks and also got the full coverage without having to lose a year or two.
    Just a thought....

Also, I have never used it, nor the original warranty. Polaris builds a awesome, reliable and downright beautiful motorcycle.
    But, like someone mentioned above, “peace of mind,” that’s something that is priceless.

5. Ling

Ling Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the reliability since this is my first bike. I purchased the Polaris extended warranty (Polaris Protection Plan) about a month after taking delivery of my 2019 Chieftain. It is a 7 year warranty (runs for 5 years after the factory warranty expires) and I paid $1,436 for it.

The only warranty work I've had done is replacing the front TPMS - definitely a luxury item and not required.

Peace of mind for me, electronic components are expensive.

6. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Why would you buy the bike if you thought you needed an extended warranty? I guess that speaks to how folks really presume the quality of the product is.

7. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

Agree....the salesman tells me how good this product is....then tries to sell me a extended warranty.
    I ask him or her to explain that.....ties their brain in knots.

8. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Gold Member

Didn’t get it on my Chief or my Scout, and wouldn’t have gotten it on my Harleys. I did, however, get it on my Chieftain, but only because of the Ride Command. I love technology, but sometimes it worries me.

9. Hugh Jorgan

Hugh Jorgan Well-Known Member

Wait until the end of the factory warranty to see how the bike performs or if there is any issues.... they will periodically send you notices and try and sell the warranty over the next 2 years. You can always negotiate the price with the dealership..... or you can put 50 bucks aside every month and have over 4K in 7 years which you will get back if you never have an issue. Remember, they wouldn’t offer the warranty for that long if they weren’t making money. Ask Larry, the guy that has like 400k on his bike how reliable these bikes are.

10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

A warranty on a bike you are trying to sell is a BIG plus, or you can call Polaris when you trade or sell and the will prorate what you paid for your extended warranty back to you.
    Call Polaris and ask for the prices and use that as a starting point for negotiations, as there is usually a 100% markup at the dealership.
    My 19 Chieftain 7year was listed for $2000 from Polaris but I only paid $1100.
    I am currently shopping for a dealer willing to discount extended warranty for my 2020 Challenger. Suggestions Please.

11. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Have bought 5 New Rides since Retired and only time I got extended warranty was on my 2009 Ultra Classic and got double back what I paid for it 80% of the problems were in the Primary .. Mainly Bearings from Hydraulic Tensioners too tight and 3 Compensators ..

12. Lake City Larry

Lake City Larry Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new bike ! These posts all have good advice from different perspectives and that can either help you or confuse you at the same time. Sometimes the more information one gets to make an informed decision causes more difficulty in making a choice. You chose your bike carefully using your own principles and standards that satisfy YOUR needs. Apply the same thought process to the extended warranty as well as accessories and you will have no regrets! Very few repairs are inexpensive, but I can help you a little in saying that trouble usually shows up in the first year. The power train has proved reliable for many of us and in my case for 370,000 miles without repairs to engine or transmission. Enjoy your purchase of your new bike, and don’t force yourself to make a choice if you’re confused. Let us know how things went if you like, because we have all been there on this subject ! Larry Swenson

doublej, Ny Mike, will and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Bronze Member

Listen you don’t have to take an extended now. You have 2 years from the date of purchase to do that #1. Believe me when you get close to the 2 year mark Indian will be sending you stuff in the mail to see if your interested. And each time it will be a little bit better deal. And it will pick up from after the date of your oem 2 yr warranty. So save your money things change in 2 years. Also consider the miles you put on. These drivetrains are pretty bulletproof. I got one more for the infotainment and electrical then anything else.

14. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

I am getting what seems like weekly notifications from Indian for my 2019 Springfield DH. The warranty is up in May. I'll make my decision April 30, but I'm probably not going to go for it for two main reasons; 1) I get treated very very well at my dealership- some of that has to do with "volunteering" to be the pres of my IMR(G) chapter. The other thing is 2) as many have already said...these bikes seem to be mechanically bulletproof.

My advice to you would be- make sure you get the electrical demons exercised out before your standard warranty is up. The cylinder deactivation/ride modes seem to be the root of some issues....although maybe that is all straightened out on the new bikes.

15. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

A product that one feels may need an extended warranty is not worth it.

tthunder38, doublej and Baldhead_J like this.
  16. Ny Mike

Ny Mike Bronze Member

I agree except these electronic today can be a killer on the pockets

17. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Precisely why I just bought a 28 year old Motorcycle.

Ny Mike and doublej like this.
  18. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

I would respectfully disagree. With so many expensive electronics on today’s bikes an extended warranty is well worth it. Friend had his ECM replaced twice after the factory warranty expired. Turns out it was a problem in the wiring harness which was also replaced. Murphy lives. JMHO

Ny Mike and Lake City Larry like this.
  19. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Was that a 2014 or 2015 model year?

20. IronButt70

IronButt70 Bronze Member

2014 chieftain.

doublej likes this.