Exhaust question, welded slip ons.

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by NorthernVandal, May 2, 2018.

1. NorthernVandal

NorthernVandal Well-Known Member

So my predicament continues. Thankfully I have a set of stock pipes awaiting install but here is the noob question. My Crushers are just too loud for me, but I think I know why. They are mounted in a staggered install that I believe a pipe was cut to do so, creating more noise for the rider, which I hate. I went to take them off today and after starting to unwrap the pipe wrap, noticed they are welded in place.

So the question is, for the experienced folks, can I just extend the pipes with another piece and have a shop do it, to put more of the sound behind me? I don't have the tools to cut the welds, so I am flying blind here. Seems more trouble than it is worth at the moment. I can't take off the Crushers to put the stock slip ons on.

Any advice? Will get a pic shortly so you can see the staggered pattern, longer on top, shorter on bottom.

Da Nurse, Warlock and Roll On like this.
  2. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Well-Known Member

It is certainly true that the closer the pipe opening to the rider the louder it'll be in the saddle, but I doubt moving them rearward a few inches is going to make a significant enough difference to warrant the amount of work involved. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking into adding additional bolt-in baffling to the Crushers, similar to this but ideally with smaller holes and/or fiberglass wrapping. The Vance & Hines quiet baffle pictured below doesn't make much of a difference, my father recently tried it on a pair of short shots.
    [​IMG]
    If this is something you're going to consider, measure the diameter of the opening on the Crusher pipes, measure the depth that you have to work with before interfering with the existing baffling (if there is any), and start Googling for "quiet baffles", ideally ones that screw in from the side (you would have to drill a hole in the bottom out-of-sight area of your Crushers.

Da Nurse and Warlock like this.
  3. NorthernVandal

Thanks, Epoch, I think I considered another option, since they do not make quiet baffles for the Crushers, I already checked on that. What I need to do is find someone on these boards who upgraded to a two in one or replaced the stock pipes with an entire new system. Grinding the weld or paying a shop to do it may be cost prohibitive, I am better off just getting new pipes from the head to the slip ons. So, now to find the right headpipe setup

#3 NorthernVandal, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Da Nurse and Warlock like this.
  4. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

If you want..............I have a set of V/H slash cut slip ons, from my H-D, I still have, I thought they had a good sound, and not too loud, but I went true duals.............they would probably fit , let me know if your interested...........

Warlock likes this.
  5. NorthernVandal

Hey thank you, Da Nurse, I priced out the head pipes, $900, you gotta be kidding me. Probably just going to hit a local muffler shop and get the stock setup back on. But if you are close by and it's a good deal, I'd consider the VH setup, PM me.

Warlock likes this.
  6. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    Unfortunately the PM part is down here. Might try asking Zook to pass a PM on though that has you phone number.

Warlock likes this.
  7. Da Nurse

Da Nurse Well-Known Member

Thanks, but it seemed to work, guess we'll see.;)

Warlock likes this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Guys, won't there be be a lot of work involved making brackets etc to mount those VH slip on's? Without pics it's hard to judge but couldn't you grind back the welds, remove the crushers , clean up the heade pipe ends and refit the OEMS?
    Alpal

Warlock and Da Nurse like this.
  9. Bwana6

Bwana6 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Welding is just fine

Da Nurse and sidecarsam like this.