Different tires brand names on the bike

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by DLC, Sep 13, 2020.

1. DLC

DLC Member

Is there some concerns about having a metzeler in front and a continental on the rear? Or is it safer to have the same brand on both wheels.

2. geewago

geewago Well-Known Member

I've never worried about it.

IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I've not worried about it much either because I always match front to rear with the same brandname. While some may mix and match with no worries, any who totally tramp their bikes through corners like they had a death wish can come unstuck with two differently branded tyres due to their different 'breakaway points'. So if you have a front tyre with a slip factor of say .7 and a rear tyre with a slip factor of .5 and you're tramping through the hills and corners and hit that REAL tight one?,......and the front holds and the rear goes?,......Whose in shitter's ditch? But hey,....if you are content to just cruise around taking life at an easy pace then there is probably no danger in mixing and matching,......All the info is on the side of most tyres,....check it out and ensure the opposite tyre has similar ratings,......
    Alpal

PS,.....the .5 and .7 mentioned above are used simply to more easily explain the slipping point or loss of traction point of your tyres,......just trying to keep it simple,....

Scouts Honour and muz like this.
  4. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Never knew of or heard of slip factors related to tires. Is that something specific to NZ or am I again humbled by my lack of knowledge? - John

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  5. theMucker

theMucker Well-Known Member

The two tires aren't talking to each other. Nor can they see around the big honkin' engine. Lots of folks "in the know" have been mixing tire brands AND type (radial vs bias) for decades. If they aren't already sponsored by a specific company, road racers will mix & swap brands according to track and weather conditions.
    Use the tires that you feel give you the riding quality that you like.

#5 theMucker, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Eeyore, Rodd, IROQUOIS and 3 others like this.
  6. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

You're fine.