Connections at rear of tank

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by N. Cognito, Nov 10, 2020.

1. N. Cognito

N. Cognito Well-Known Member

2015 Scout. Minor eff-up, major nuisance. Assistance needed.

I had to change the Scout battery. Removal and replacement was no BD. Problem is this: There is a hose that comes up (or goes down) to the left side of the bike. It comes up, splits and connects at the rear of the tank. Those two connections looked vulnerable (and in the way), so I pulled the rubber female ends off and just lifted the lower end of the assembly out of the way. The problem came up when I tried to reconnect those two. No way can I get them to fully seat back onto the male leads that come out from under the tank. In Indian's brilliance, those (flexible) connectors route through the blind tunnel of the rear tank bracket. So, I can't access the forward end of them to stabilize them to push the rubber hoses back on.

Hopefully someone else has made this mistake and found a way to get things reassembled. Thanks much.

Alpal likes this.
  2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

On my way to the shed to eyeball what you are talking about,.....I know them but never had trouble with them in the past,......be back soon
    Alpal

3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Ok, I'm back and the hoses you are talking about are the two that follow below, yeah?
    Can you see the ridge or ring around the male pipe? The female does not go over it just up to it.
    image.jpeg
    Now, if your male connections are in the same position as mine and the females will not reach, then I suspect the hose has been caught or jammed against something below when you replaced the battery. The first thing I would do, if I have it right is to remove the fuse box again and with a torch check to see if the hose is jammed below,.....
    image.jpeg
    Keep me posted Buddy,......
    Alpal

Baldhead_J likes this.
  4. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Take out the 4 bolts holding the back of the tank then the tank can be lifted a bit to give you better access to refit those hoses.

Alpal and Baldhead_J like this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yeah I did try that Rodd and while you are correct it only gives a miniscule of an advantage. But hey!,......Younger fingers maybe,.....
    Alpal

N. Cognito likes this.
  6. N. Cognito

N. Cognito Well-Known Member

Them's the offending bits, yes.
    DINGDINGDINGDING!!!! Brother Alpal FTW!

Now, If I'd just known that tidbit earlier, there would have been fewer bad words rattling the garage door. And no, I didn't look at the arrangement of the hoses before I disconnected them...

I unbolted the back of the tank, only to discover very little slack in the lines and even less room to reach in. I also discovered (after pulling the individual rubber hoses off the descending end connector) that the hoses in question are "stepped" inside, such that they'll only push on to a certain point. I still thought there might be more distance to go, so I put each hose in a plastic bag, dropped that into hot water to soften the hose up, in hopes of getting it on deeper...no luck.

So, I had put it back together with them attached as Alpal shows...it was time for dinner. Glad to know I should be up to spec. Of course, looking at it reassembled, there's not enough play in the pieces for the hoses to come off anyway. But thanks, all!

Rodd and Alpal like this.