Cobra vs. Vance & Hines vs. Stage 1 vs...

Discussion in 'Indian Chieftain Dark Horse' started by Gator Mcklusky, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Silver Member

Where do I begin? When I had the Chief, I never really considered any other exhaust than the Stage 1. Now, I’m trying to broaden my horizons a little, and consider other options. I want loud, but not obnoxious. I’m too old to ride around with my head vibrating even after I get off the bike...that’s a young man’s game. Now, there are so many options out there, and a YouTube video can’t convey what pipes are really gonna sound like.

Can any of y’all make any recommendations?

2. Aargow

Aargow Well-Known Member

I have Vance and Hines turn downs. They sound good to me but not too loud. They match the lines of the bike. I don't know if they enhance performance.

Big A and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I have had Cobra's and I have had Vance and Hines as well as other 'cheaper' brands and out of them all I will now only use the Vance and Hines with quiet baffles,. As Aargow said they follow the line of the bike or you can get curvy ones if you want but I prefer the straights. V & H systems have, to my ear a not too loud but deep rumble that 'speaks' power,.......does it deliver power?,......If you have also played with injection and air intake I cannot see how far easier breathing exhaust would not assist in that,.....for myself I'm over the high speed thing now and am just after the low rumble which maybe makes people THINK its powerful,.....and yeah,....lets face it,......our Indian bikes, big sister or small are mighty powerful even machines anyway.

As a side note I fired up the Intruder with its V & H system and went out to show some people my second bike,........apart from the fact that they were amazed at how good my 22 year old darling was, ALL commented on how great the bike sounded when I approached and when it was idling,......That's a big pat on the back to Vance and Hines,....not me,....

In closing I guess I should mention that my Scout has Stage one OEM (modified ) mufflers on it, not V & H's as I want it to stay pretty much as close to standard as possible,.......but I'm not sure why?o_O

The ramblings of Alpal

4. muz

muz Well-Known Member

On the 111s the Lloyds are a fantastic deep rumble . Sound fantastic.

5. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

My only experience with aftermarket exhausts is relevant in only one way. It was a set of Jardines on a Yamaha V-Star 1100, which made that Styrofoam cup of a motorcycle sound wonderful at idle and accelerating. They were richly deep and louder, of course, but not LOUD. However -- after a 750-mile day I felt like I'd had a bumblebee buzzing in my helmet for something like 14 hours -- and I sold the bike. Y'all long-distance guys give that a modicum of thought when you're making your choice.

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  6. Gator Mcklusky

Did you, or do you, ride with ear plugs?

Alpal likes this.
  7. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

I do not because I've always used sound as an important reference to my surroundings. For the same reason I don't use headphones, earbuds, or play the radio. For someone who doesn't need sound for safety (is there such a person?) ear plugs are all upside.

8. Gator Mcklusky

I don't see how I have a choice for what little hearing I have left.

#8 Gator Mcklusky, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  9. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

My hearing's still okay. I can hear a siren over a mile away and my wife at 50 feet.

10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I don't,.......Neither of my bikes are THAT loud that they are needed by the rider,......

11. muz

muz Well-Known Member

Helmet noise is enough to make you hearing impaired. I wouldn't be without ear plugs but my bike is noisy and I am slightly deaf and in need of hearing aids

BigDawg, Alpal and Aargow like this.
  12. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

For most of us, even with full face helmets, wind noise is more detrimental than the sound your exhaust makes. Extended exposure to even moderately high dBs will degrade your hearing over time. If I'm riding for more than 5-10 minutes, I'm wearing ear plugs.

BD

JayFL459, Gator Mcklusky and muz like this.
  13. Gator Mcklusky

14. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Interesting, I just last week installed a set of Cobra's on my Springfield. I like the sound and installation could not have been easier. The problem I had was the heatshield fit-up.
    I removed the Indian stage 1 mufflers, because they were to loud, as you had stated that's a young fellows thing.

The fitment problem arose due to the fact I had Freedom Performance true duels with shields that did not make a good fit with Cobra mufflers. Now the FP true duals do come with a fancy cone shape shield that I modified to fit and it looks beautiful with the Cobra's, just a bit of time and extra work to make it look good. if you go with the Indian original shields you should have no problem.

From a cost stand point you can't beat the Cobra's. I purchased my new mufflers from PartsGaint and the price was better than Amazon. The #5204's are what fit if you bike has hard bags.

Even with the reduced sound of the new Cobra's I still use hearing protection.

Attached Files:

15. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Exhaust Sound is a personal thing to most .. For some is a good deep rumble without being overly loud unless truly getting on the throttle .. This is the category I fall in ..

Gator Mcklusky and Alpal like this.
  16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Ditto,.......

Gator Mcklusky and JayFL459 like this.