Chief Dark Horse Bobber vs Scout Bobber & Scout

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Superman, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Superman

Superman New Member

Today I did a back to back test ride of the Chief Dark Horse Bobber and the Scout Bobber and Scout. My opinions: The Chief was incredibly powerful and did not feel that much larger than the Scout. The Chief throttle was very sensitive and the bike would lurch at the slightes increase in throttle. The Scout was much smoother and linear and instilled more confidence. The Scout handled better than the Chief although the ergonomics of the Chief were excellent, better than the Scout Bobber because of the higher handlebars and the seat. The forward controls on both felt about the same. Although the Chief has more power, the Scouts have more than enough get up and go to satisfy me. At the end of the day, putting price aside, I would choose the Scout for my ride.

Stay safe.

2. muz

muz Bronze Member

Nice to hear. I think the new Chiefs are either a hit or miss with people. You either like or don't. The thunderstrokes are a damn big powerplant for the size of the bike, but I reckon some wicked custom builds will come out within a year. It will certainly help Indian establish an even wider base of customers.

JayFL459 likes this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

hey great review Buddy,.....I appreciate it. Visually I have fallen for the Super Chief Ltd so a report like this helps sober me up to the facts a little,.......If you do a ride on the Ltd a report would be appreciated there too,....Burtland is only getting the 116ci versions so if you do get the chance to ride the Ltd, that's the one I would want to hear about. We will not see the bikes here until June or there about,....so I'm 'u-tubing' like crazy to learn as much as I can. @muz said 'last bike Alpal' and he is not far from the truth,......If I get the LTD it definitely will be my last bike,.......Would sadly have to sell the Scout to offset the expense. keeping my much beloved Suzuki VS800 'Gertruda' Intruder however,.......way too much history with me and that bike,.....Again, thanks for the review,.....
    Alpal

4. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

5. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Thanks baldhead,.....
    Alpal

Baldhead_J likes this.
  6. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

I've ridden both. The scout is awesome. The Chief is awesomer. At least for me it's more comfortable.

7. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Loving these comparison from all here,.....Who better to point me in the right direction,.....Just for future thoughts and direction, I'm 5ft 10in which matters of course when it comes to seating and long trips,.....
    Alpal

hah!,.....Just saw it Bobby!,..."The Chief is awesomer.",.....Love it!!!!:p:p:p

Bobby Jesus likes this.
  8. Notaharley

Notaharley Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to rid both.

I sat on the Chief, and had to make my own engine noises.

Had the Scout side by side..... Very, very similar bikes. I was amazed at how small the seat was on the Chief. Front wheels are identical. Foot position identical, and identical space for a passenger.

Honestly, cannot see $18,000 ++ for it.

I have owned the big engine, had cams, tune....everything. My Scout will run the 111 off the road and handle better.

I have performance suspension and a tune on my Scout and it's fantastic. I only wish for mid controls, but, sadly, there are none to be found worth buying. (Kuryakyn are junk -- seriously reduce cornering).

Super Chief looks good.....BUT for the money, I'd go to the full sized bike with more lean angle and better suspension in a second.

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to get my own ride in.