Challenger Exhaust Thread

Discussion in 'Indian Challenger' started by Baldhead_J, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Thanks for that. I missed that video and will go hunt it down.
    I never recommend folks cat-delete. The back-pressure loss isn't worth the noise gains [opinion]. There's just no substitute for a tuned full exhaust system. If you're gonna go cheap, just knock the plugs out and save the money.

2. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi Arapaho,.......How have I missed this thread?,.....Anyway I am here now and no, no way offended by your HD pics,.....Good on you,......Loved my Harley for many years and there are pics on here of her also,.....somewhere,.....

Totally agree on the equal header length thing,.....as a budding mechanic way back in the 60's there was many an argument on this one point but in my eyes it simply made sense that you needed a rhyme for those exhaust gases to flow to in order to get out the pipe. You have a rhyme for the firing order , a rhythm for the carb operation, all works to a pattern. One shortened header pipe would as I imagined it would interfere with that pattern, that flow of the others, in a sense 'blocking' gases from another cylinder from escaping in the 'Rhymic ' (Yeah, I know,....not a word,..) pattern I described above. I realise I am possibly 100% wrong in this but its how I made sense on it then as well as now.
    Alpal

3. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

My first intro to extractors was on my 123E Ford Anglia and that in order to funstion in a manner that would improve output from the engine those four pipes HAD TO BE the same overall length and from that I figured it applied to any multi cylinder engine,....
    Alpal,...(Late to the party! )

4. Michael Pridmore

Michael Pridmore New Member

Hi all .
    I was looking at getting the Indian stage 1 exhausts, but i can not get them from Indian UK as they are not allowed to sell performance parts, so i asked about getting some Rineharts and was told that the challenger runs lean and i would have to put a power commander on, so that knocks the price up to over £1000 plus fitting and setting up.

5. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

If you're talking about slip-ons, don't sweat the tuning AT ALL. Post-cat changes without intake mods should not affect you much at all.
    Also, stop listening to whomever it was that gave you that advice.

6. tailgunner28

tailgunner28 New Member

Not to mention there is no after market tuner available yet.

7. Michael Pridmore

Michael Pridmore New Member

ok thanks, yes just slip on cans, would like to stay with Indian parts but to get them imported from the USA costs so much.

8. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Got ugly for Tab & Zombies here