Challenger Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Indian Challenger' started by Verado, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Verado

Verado New Member

Has anyone had issues with Challenger battery or charging system? My bike sat in the garage for 12 days (since I had minor surgery procedure) and battery was completely dead when I wanted to ride today. Put a 30 amp quick charger on it for 5 minutes and the solenoid would just click, eventually it started and I was able ride. Gauge read 14 V. Just wondering if anyone else had battery draw issue when sitting for such a short period?
    Thanks!

2. Grayrat

Grayrat Member

What synchronicity. I had the e a t same thing happen last night. I have 9000 miles on my Challenger. Never had to put it on a trickle charger. Let it sit for the first time for 2 weeks. Went to start.....dead as a door nail. Put it on the trickle charger over night and worked fine. There must be a small charge being used with the bike off. My Harley can go a month or two and still start. Must be all the gadgets, ride command, etc. I'm thinking about swapping out the battery. I have heard of others having problems right off the bat, with a possible explanation that Polaris may be pulling old (not used) batteries off the shelf during assembly.

Verado likes this.
  3. Verado

Verado New Member

My dealer support is second to none, they already said they will install a brand new battery free of charge. In fact, they even offred to send a mechanic and a new battery to my home/garage and install it on a Sunday! I'm the same way, my Harley and dirt bike only see the battery tender during winter months. I suspect you are correct that they have so many electronics (three separate ECM's, Ride Command......) there is battery draw somewhere. I hope it was just a weak battery, I will let you know. Thanks again for sharing.

4. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Just my opinion but as one that has been a Battery Tender user for 15 years or more have never had a starting problem at home and had long Battery Life as well unless suspected a weak OEM Battery which was the case with my 2017 CDH after replacing the the OEM Battery with a Wicked Start never had a problem with the Engine turning with what I thought was too slow ..

WickedB1.jpg

IROQUOIS, Verado and Baldhead_J like this.
  5. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Thee bikes have a power draw even when just sitting. So do the chieftains and roadmaster. That being said, remember that the factory buys batteries in bulk. Even though you have a new bike the battery could have been on the shelf for a while. Another thing to remember is keep your fob away from the bike when it’s parked. I was told that the computer senses the fob and that will draw some power as well. Finally, get a battery tender.

Alpal and Verado like this.
  6. Verado

Verado New Member

For whatever it is worth, my FOB was not near my bike when my battery was completely drained (no lights, no Ride Command, nothing) in only 13 days. Took 15 minutes on the 30 amp quick charger before volt meter would read 11.2 V on gauge. My 2018 Chieftain Limited sat for months without charging or any issue.

7. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Ok. What year was your chieftain.

#7 Bobby Jesus, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. BagBoy

BagBoy Well-Known Member

You would think the dealer would check batteries on New bikes before selling them.

9. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Believe me. They don’t.

10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

part of the pre delivery check is to fully charge the battery, even in the car dealership I worked at doing PD's,......The Boss said forget it,.....the customer can charge it up in his normal driving,....I have three bikes in the shed currently and the trickle charger is always on one of them,.....

muz, Rodd, tthunder38 and 2 others like this.