Burtland's First IMRG Rally starts today!

Discussion in 'Austrialian & New Zealand Indian Riders' started by Alpal, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

HiAll,

It's the big day! I'm late! Just got up! Three hour hours to start up and heaps to do.

I figured I'd do a report with pics and such for any who are interested and especially for a sick mate of mine down here. He's good stuff, he's a biker, so a special Hi! To Noel, get well soon Buddy, we got lots or riding to catch up on!

Till later,

Alpal

JayFL459, thumper and Roll On like this.
  2. Roll On

Roll On Bronze Member
    Original 111

I for one will be looking forward to seeing pictures and reading about your newly formed IMRG Chapter.

Thoughts of a speedy recovery for your friend Noel.

Alpal likes this.
  3. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Well-Known Member
    Supporter Original 111

Yes, please. Reports, pics, etc...

4. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Great work @Alpal Have fun and please post pics! - John

5. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

I'll be looking forward to it @Alpal.

6. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Anxiously awaiting to see how you all do it in the upside down part of the world.

Ghost and Alpal like this.
  7. Scouts Honour

Scouts Honour Well-Known Member

Enjoy the rally Alpal and looking forward to seeing some photo's. Weather in Taupo looking good for the ride on Saturday! Sure wish I was there, maybe next time.

Alpal likes this.
  8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Thanks for all the well wishes Guys, both for me and Noel. The temp today was unbelievable hot and where was I at 11.30am? Up at where my road comes out onto Statehighway one. I though I would get a vid of the guys coming up the sweeper corner from under the railway bridge. What I didn't count on was them being late. So here I am, on the side of the road getting stared at by all the vehicles going past. It's getting hotter, the sweat is running down my back and down my legs, why am I doing this? It's 11.50am and still no bikes. They are 20 minutes late already! OK I'll give them till 12.00. 12.05 comes and goes. I'm in melt down, 12.10, damn it! 12.15 and I really am out of here! With just 15 seconds to go I heard the noise! The first of 30 odd bikes winds up and around the sweeper! Mighty! They pass! Wow! The wind and the roar is awesome! So awesome I forgot the make any comments until they'd gone! And thank God they had gone! I was close to fainting with the heat. iPad away, gloves on, start up and away! Sadly I came across a couple of bikes just 3 or 4 miles down the road. A Harley Dyna I think and the guys wife on a Scout. The Dyna had busted a belt so it was a case of ring Anza's the Harley dealer. They are about 40 kilometres away and the people were from Palmerston North and no doubt knew all the guys in the shop. I expect they will get here but just a lot later.

I caught the rest at Taihape where all were refuelling. Lunch break and off again but by a back route as SH 1 was closed for some reason.no doubt a crash.

I was in a group of 6 big Sisters and a Victory and let's just say that there was no time to look at the scenery! It was one fast trip and while it was mighty exhilarating I was glad to peel off from the group and refuel at Turangi. From there I took a leisurely pace the 30 miles into Taupo.

Wow! When I got to the resort, slightly after the group because I went shopping in Taupo there was two or three rows of Indians, all shapes and sizes! What a sight! It was really neat to check out the bikes and see the very different personal touches that people have done to make their bikes their own. I'll show you what I mean tomorrow when I take a heap of pics during the display. Then it was registration, beer and bites to eat, catching up with those I knew and meeting a whole heap of people I didn't know! I met Tony Smith who bought his Scout the same time as me, BendiRhodes and his wife, Muz and his wife, Patti from Auckland, Doc Sorebones was there too and came up for a chat. Tony and I also had a very interesting chat with Peter Harvey, one of the bosses over for the event from Polaris, Australia. He was rather surprised to hear just how many warranty claims I had had as it seems the rest of the Scouts in New Zealand, and the rest of the world in fact, just don't have warranty claims! Seems I've been the bunny for all you Scout owners!

Right! That's it for now. I've got some toasted sandwiches coming to my room because I am famished. More tomorrow with lots of pics,.....and! ,.......that video once I find out how to post one on the forum. Come on some young biker nerd out there! Help out this old fella will you! Give me some clues on how it's done. I'll take notes this time, I promise!
    Sleep tight people!
    Alpal

Roll On and CuChulain like this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

It's simple Thumper, take your iPad or computer screen and rotate 180 degrees. In either direction,......I have found it makes no difference,.......:D,......I'm switching off now,........

thumper and Bobby Jesus like this.
  10. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

And Hi to Scouts Honour! There will be other rides Buddy,.......

Scouts Honour likes this.
  11. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Will be with you in spirit. Photos please.

12. Scouts Honour

Good on you Alpal, look forward to reading and seeing more!

13. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Good write up Buddy. Sounds fun and fast! Get some rest and looking forward to "the rest of the story". :blush:

14. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

The next day!

But first a commercial.

Happy with your Indian but feel that there is room in the shed for just one more? Have we got a deal for you! Only just out of the box, yet to have its pre delivery check. I guarantee you won't buy this bike anywhere else!

image.jpeg
    Comes with a crash helmet and goggles, a water bottle, a firearm should you meet ant unpleasant people out on the road and a shovel in the event of getting in the shit with the law! The seller is attempting to cater for all needs!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

CameramanX, thumper and JayFL459 like this.
  15. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Saturday started real well when I learned that Polaris were paying for full breakfasts for all present! And a cracker meal it was too! Baked beans, eggs, hash browns, bacon toast and heaps more. Mighty generous of them I thought considering there was maybe 120 all up! After that it was clean the bike time and also fuel up for the round the Lake ride later in the morning. The bikes were then lined up starting with the big sisters, Roadmasters, ( and boy! Are they popular!) and down the line to the little sisters, the Scouts, of which there was over twenty. The variation between the bikes was something to see, each persons own interpretation of what made their bike look good. One old guy was trying to convince me to take off the Scout badges from my fuel tank leaving just the Indian badge and also the plastic strip around the front of the front guard! He was almost becoming heated about it!, convinced every Scout owner should follow his lead! Here is a few pics of what was on show, some eighty plus bikes all up at a rough count. Offical count prior to rally was 75 bikes but they just kept coming in through the night and into the morning. Obviously people were just turning up on the day! They missed out on the goody bag of course, which I might add was well worth the entry cost. Anyway, the pics,......
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2017 Scout, love the paint work. Gunfighter seat so very similar to a Mustang one. Did notice the rear shock springs looked spindlely with few coils, and embarrassingly, both shocks were leaking fluid down the shafts! More work needed there Mr Fox!
    image.jpeg
    They had a big sister inside too,.....and, guess what else I found outside,.....
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    If you cross your heart and hope to die, you can go to Heaven on this! They do use a coffin too,....and seeing I'm bike mad and it's an Indian I reckon I'll book them for when I go. More to come.
    Alpal

CameramanX, thumper and JayFL459 like this.
  16. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    There is so much steam venting to the atmosphere here a thermal power station was built back in the forty's I think. These two pics are not vents but the condensed steam after being released into a stream to start the cycle all over again. A few years back if was noted the the thermal pressure was dropping so as many un- used vents were capped wherever they were found and the pressure rose again. Always amazes me that all of this, Taupo, the tourist resorts populations, everything and everyone is sitting on top of a very very active volcanic region. The largest natural explosion ever in the world happened right here Folks. It was how the enormous hole of Lake Taupo was made,......one big colossal bang! Hey
    , plan your next holiday here! It could be short and sweet!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    These are different Indian rear shocks to the 2017 one,.......note the disc lock too. Something you don't want to forget to take off.
    Why is this bike up there? Because the bars were just a fraction too wide to fit through the doorway to his room I reckon. There were bikes in very strange places, but,.....that's the nature of bikers I guess,.........I'm off for a beer and it looks like Polaris are shouting not only breakfast and lunch but dinner as well! Slight guilt complex do you think for taking two years to get properly underway in Burtland? Who knows, I'm just grateful cos I'm bloody hungry tonight!
    More to come,.....
    Alpal

CameramanX and thumper like this.
  17. Scouts Honour

Good on you Alpal, thanks for the photos! Enjoy the evening.

18. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Enjoy Your Time !!

19. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Great narrative. Sounds like you are having a grand time.

Is Taupo the area where the Maori village with all the hot pools and steam vents in people's yards? If so I have visited there. I can smell the sulphur as I am typing this.

Alpal likes this.
  20. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi Thumper, no, but that is just up the road on Rotorua. There are other Lakes around there. You'll remember hearing about the pink and white terraces that people flocked to see in the mid 1850's. Mount Tarawera put a stop to that. An old Maori medicine man and a Maori wise woman both warned all around that the Gods were stirring but no one listened. Mount Tarawera soon let everyone know something was up. The mountain erupted with a split approximately 8 kilometres long and gushed rocks, ash, pumice and distruction all through the night. The famous pink and white terraces were destroyed alone with the new European settlements, THE PUB FOR GODS SAKE!!!:eek:o_O:confused::( and that Maori village you went through. Do you remember the story of the old Maori chief/medicine man who gave a warning? He was completely buried and trapped in his whare ( house) for some days before he was dug out. Near the Maori village there is a line of poplar trees. Were you shown them Thumper? They started their life in jolly England but as fence posts. Well, I reckon someone was wanting to make a profit and not miss the boat as it were because they were cut when still green, survived the trip on the sailing ship, got planted,........and grew! You can still see the shape on the original fence posts in the trees today. Great funny world we live in yeah?,....
    Pics,.....
    image.jpeg
    The two red Scouts are "sisters" . Ones mine and the other is my friend Tony Smith's. Mine was "born" first being Vin 296 and Tony's was the last out of the container being Vin 304 ( no free lunch for him! Ha, ha!) ( some will get that joke, others will not) ( but I did see Vin 9847!). Our bikes were in the first consignment of Scouts to Burtland, just nine bikes in the box.
    image.jpeg
    Who says only the big sisters can have the flash screens to get lost with! Great bars two! This little baby carried two to the rally.
    image.jpeg
    This little bike won the "pretty bike" prize and it was done nicely. OK Guys! Think you're tough? This bike belongs to a woman who, along with her husband I think were involved in a bad accident. She suffered a broken back and has a good number of problems because of it. Her man walked with a limp so I'm picking he suffered also. But has all this put her off? No way! She is a live wire and is having fun no matter what. It's neat to meet people with such positive mental attitudes.
    image.jpeg
    Three Scouts, two different screens and three different sets of floorboards/ pegs.
    More to come folks,.......

#20 Alpal, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Scouts Honour and JayFL459 like this.