Break in..

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Watchful, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Watchful

Watchful New Member

Hi all,
    I am in the Break In mode (Scout 60), only did about 150 miles.
    I was told not to exceed 3,000 RPM , which makes it impossible to reach 63 MPH, on the highway ... I am extremely disappointed by the lack of power of this Scout 60... I read that it’s a great bike for the city, I think it’s true ...?? but that’s not what I looked for ... any chance that it “ get better “...?
    The sales man told me not to be afraid to accelerate...!! ??
    I appreciate your thoughts...
    Thank you .

sidecarsam likes this.
  2. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

Just wait till you hit 4500 revs and roll on hard from there. Then ask the question again if you need to.
    Riders soon learn that this is not a bike designed to chug around at low revs; drop down a couple of gears around town and the bike will come alive.

#2 Rodd, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    JayFL459 likes this.
  3. Watchful

Watchful New Member

Oh, I guess I am used to the bikes I rode the last -15 years- at 3000 RPM they were cruising at 65-70 MPH ...this one is different... the price of Downsizing...l

4. Rodd

Rodd Well-Known Member

5. Watchful

Watchful New Member

6. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hi Watchful,

Didn't we cover this in another thread?,......I'm sure we did:oops:o_O,.....Anyway,....please ignore the comment about not revving over 3,000rpm,......You can,......

Running in seems to have become a big Ogre for some reason,.... and it needn't be,...

Here are my recommendations on running in a bike,....any bike,....

Do not labour the bike in any gear,....

Do not over rev the bike in any gear,.....

Do not stay at a constant speed all day when out on the highway, vary it, after say 10 minutes at 60mph,....go to 70mph and after another, say, 10 minutes, slow down for a change.

That's about as simple as it gets,.... and as one other person has said on this forum, ride it like you stole it!!!

Honestly Bud, you will not hurt your Scout 60 by flexing its muscles,.....It's a bike that screams out for you to give it a hard time,.....it WANTS you wind that throttle on!,.....now, put all thoughts of 3,000 rpm out of your head,.....

This is what I want you to do,....

Go out for a ride, after a few minutes with the motor nice and warm, stop,....make sure the road is clear of traffic,....Stop,....then I want you to take off and WIND THE THROTTLE!!, Take it up to 30mph, change again and wind that throttle again and keep winding that throttle through all the gears till you hit 5th gear,....at no stage over rev the engine but by all means WIND THAT THROTTLE!!!,.....Then come back to the forum and tell me your Scout is underpowered,.....but you won't,....cos it's not,.....simple as that,.....

And now we're back to home base,......

Don't overrev,.....

Don't underrev or labour the bike in any gear,.....

Vary the speed when out on the highway,.....

Don't go home till you've had fun,.....

Promise me you'll try that,....

Alpal

7. Watchful

Watchful New Member

Thank you Alpal....

8. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

No Worries @Watchful , and we did talk about this before in your 'RPM' thread.

What worries me is that you may be treating your Scout too gently so I refer you to that 'RPM' thread, namely Jay's post,.....number 12 it was,......If you are too gentle in the run in period you run the risk of not bedding in the rings to the bores,.....This will result in excess oil consumption as it gets past the rings and is burnt in the combustion chambers,.....Believe me you don't want that because the only way to successfully fix that is motor down and re-hone the bores and fit a new set of rings,....so how do you avoid that? Simple,....use your throttle, wind up through the gears, do not limit your revs to a mere 3,000rpm,.......The Scout motor has been designed to be a high performance powerhouse,......it craves power!,.....as such it doesn't want a nice walk in the park on Sunday,....No! It wants a mad thrash round the block on a Saturday!!, in fact,....any day!! and all day!!!

We have an old expression here in Burtland Buddy,,,,,'Feed it the fat!!!!'

Wind that throttle Buddy,....experience the Buzz!!,....feed it the Fat!!!!

Alpal

JayFL459 likes this.
  9. Watchful

Watchful New Member

upload_2019-7-13_1-3-10.png

Alpal likes this.
  10. Graham UK

Graham UK Well-Known Member

I want to affirm what Alpal has said. Lugging the engine by keeping revs too low is as bad as over-revving it. The important thing during break in is to keep varying the revs rather than holding them constant. And, when once you are through break-in, I would be amazed if you're disappointed with the performance of your Scout 60. And the power delivery is what felt to me like 'liquid power'; it just did everything I asked of it. It's a great bike: fast, nimble and loads of fun. Enjoy!

Aargow, Scouts Honour and Alpal like this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Hey @Graham UK !,....How you doing Bud? Good to see you are checking up on us!:p,....Refresh my memory,....What are you on now?
    Alpal

12. Scouts Honour

Scouts Honour Well-Known Member

What @Rodd said in post #2, your Scout will come alive after 4500rpm, hang on tight and enjoy-:)

13. Watchful

Watchful New Member

Thank you . Just reached 105 Km/h first time ( 3450 RPM).... you made me feel better.
    Would adjusting the Shocks will help with the extreme bumping that kill my old back ...??

14. Watchful

Watchful New Member

, Thank you .

15. Graham UK

The rear suspension does give a firm ride. I upgraded my rear shocks to K-Tech Bullits; I wish I'd spent more and got something fully adjustable instead. That said, I did 13,000 miles on my Scout 60 over a wide variety of roads and never found the suspension to be terrible.

#15 Graham UK, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Warlock likes this.
  16. Graham UK

Thank you Alpal. All good here: still enjoying the Low Rider I traded in my Scout 60 and Sportster for.
    19.04.07 Wales ed (2).jpg

Alpal, Warlock and Aargow like this.