Bobber 20 Rear Shock Woes

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Dan_Frisbie, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Bronze Member
    Supporter Original 111

I did some searching here and all over, but haven't found anything convincing on changing the Bobber 20's shocks for something softer.
    My girlfriend bought a new 2021 Bobber 20 and loves it except for the stiff rear end. She only weighs about 105 lbs, and says that the rear suspension sometimes bounces her off the seat.
    Otherwise, she absolutely loves her bike. We looked at spring seats and she hates the look, she did get a comfort seat with the bike and she is happy with that, so it looks like softer shocks are what she needs.
    Not being a dedicated Scout guy, this is new territory for me.

Help!
    Kathleen Scout.jpg

2. muz

muz Bronze Member

Many, many owners over in the USA are using Progressive 444"s, but I think they only have a couple of spring rates available. I saw a youtube vlogger that said if you are a light weight person, then the preload would need to be wound right off and still be too firm. Possibly look at the Nitron R1. They do a spring for the weight of the rider and are a high end shock. Maybe Indian Fox shock, with the preload wound to suit her weight would be another good option.

Dan_Frisbie and Scouts Honour like this.
  3. Rodd

Rodd Bronze Member

Agree with Nitron R1 with spring matched to rider weight

muz, Dan_Frisbie and Scouts Honour like this.
  4. Dan_Frisbie

Supporter Original 111

Looking at R1s. Thanks, guys!

5. ScoutBobber49

ScoutBobber49 Well-Known Member

I actually upgraded to Fox shocks on my 2020 Bobber as I was able to get a good discount due to a family member who used to work in the industry. The Fox shocks made a big improvement in the rear, unfortunately it accentuated the harshness of the front forks.

Last year, I came across this video a little too late, but I was able to make some improvements in the ride by following the tire pressure adjustments.

Wish I'd seen this sooner, but maybe this will help you out in your decision to upgrade or adjust your ride settings.

Watch this before you buy new shocks for your Indian Scout Bobber!

6. Dan_Frisbie

Supporter Original 111

I couldn’t watch it.
    My time is worth more to me than listening to people stumble over words, use incomplete sentences that make no sense and repeat themselves constantly because (like this guy) they are winging it and stretching out a 5 minute video over a period of time that made me dream of the glory days in math class…

What I did get was that his problem was back pain up through the shoulders, not being bounced off the seat.