Big Changes at IMRG

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Baldhead_J, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Membership is now free. Go look: Indian Motorcycle® .

So, is this the end of IMRG? Cuz, what does it mean if there's no "real" membership?

Do you think there's a future or is Indian just going to drop trying to foster ab Indian culture?

2. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

The Conf Call they sent out to the Officers (its all over Fbook), does a good job explaining their direction, which really came about from feedback they ask(ed) for, and receive(ed) at the National and during regional telephone conferences.

I'm not sure membership fees are required for a "member" environment. After all, many of us show our membership status by how we spend our money re: what we ....ride, drive, wear, etc., etc., etc. Just my $0.02.

#2 doublej, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  3. Warlock

Warlock This space for rent.
    Supporter

Well, this would explain the dropping of the "free" road coverage. If I had to guess (and that's all I can do as this is the first I heard about it and we just had our IMRG meeting last Sat) I would bet there is very little interest in belonging to a brand group that one has to pay for these days. I never belonged to the GWRRA because of the cost. The only reason I belong to the IMRG is because it was "free" when I bought the bike. When it was time to renew I was an officer by then so I felt I had to...but it became free (truly) when I couldn't renew online and I called the help desk. They just comped it for the problems I had. Maybe they think this will help. Don't know. I am not a fan of group rides but our IMRG is one of the few groups I will ride with. We have a good road captain and most of folks are experienced riders.

muz, Gator Mcklusky, IROQUOIS and 2 others like this.
  4. ScoutBobber49

ScoutBobber49 Well-Known Member

"IMRG NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP IS FREE"

Well, that's good, since I had no intention of renewing my IMRG membership because our local chapter is non-existent, as we discussed J.

I'm still trying to get some interest in getting some meetings going again, but that effort is going to have to wait until sometime in late February as I will be out of the country for a week early next month.

Maybe when the weather improved a bit, people will show some more interest in attending meetings and participating in some rides......

IROQUOIS and Aargow like this.
  5. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

They lost a ton of members after they decided to cut roadside. To be honest, that’s the only reason I renewed. Making it free costs them nothing. As a matter of fact they will save money on having to pay someone to oversee things.

muz, Gator Mcklusky, Warlock and 2 others like this.
  6. JonScout

JonScout Well-Known Member

If it is free, I'll take it. My insurance covers roadside so I never cared about it anyway. But when they raised the membership fee to almost double coupla years ago, I quit. But if it is free now, I'll look forward to not receiving any magazines or special rates off motels I'll never visit. Great deal!!

Warlock, IROQUOIS and MilwDave like this.
  7. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

So....is there a future for an IMRG enterprise? WTF is a free organization membership?

Largeandy, Gator Mcklusky and Warlock like this.
  8. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Can you summarize the call?

Warlock likes this.
  9. BigDawg

BigDawg Well-Known Member

I let my free membership lapse because:
    1. No one at the dealership ever mentioned anything about IMRG
    2. I never heard anything from the Chapter there

I figured if they weren't that interested in me, then, what was the point. Then I met some of the officers at one of the Pow Wows that Quinn runs and talked to them. I decided to re-up and see what happened. I heard hardly a peep from them after that. There were no updates, lists of upcoming rides, etc. My option was to get up early on a Sat. morning and ride 45 min. to go to a meeting to find out if there was even a ride that day, let alone if was one I wanted to go on.

So, I let it lapse again this past July.

It's all about the local Chapter. I may reach out to the Chapter in Lowell, maybe it'll be different there.

BD

ScoutBobber49 likes this.
  10. PeterC

PeterC Living the Life while I can

Here in the UK they have never charged for membership but then again they aren't as strong with groups - every dealer should have one but only 2 or 3 have anything active

Gator Mcklusky likes this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Quick summary:
    -No dues for National membership, still need to sign up but it is free.
    --Local Chapter dues and amounts are up to the local Chapters and will not be governed by National.
    -There is an national IMRG calendar for 2020 that is downloadable.
    -Year long referral program for IMRG membership that gets you $250 by refereing someone to purchase a bike.
    -Will be an Elite membership for $50 a year that nets you perks like VIP access to events and some other freebies.
    -Will be 4 Indian owners events that all owners can attend that are not exclusive to IMRG.

There are a few other items such as a new IMRG Handbook, no national liability insurance requirement, no fees to start a new chapter, and there is new logo for Indian riders that is different from the IMRG logo.

12. JonScout

Since I had been a member, my info was still in their database. Coupla clicks and I'm a member again. I am still confused but WTF, it is free - whatever free is.

13. ScoutBobber49

ScoutBobber49 Well-Known Member

Free Membership means you are now getting your money's worth......

MilwDave, Alpal and Bobby Jesus like this.
  14. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Here's the Webinar on this topic:

Gator Mcklusky and Warlock like this.
  15. Bubba58

Bubba58 Silver Member

Exactly! I didn’t get squat when I paid dues and probably won’t get squat now. I live too damn far away (89 miles) from a dealership to care about their IMRG. I have to do a serious ride just to get there for their ride.

Bubba

ScoutBobber49 likes this.
  16. JonScout

According to my figure from the webinar, elite membership isn't a bad deal for $50 since they send you $25 BD gift card. But $25 for 2 magazines I probably won't get, ....umm....

17. ebigfish

ebigfish Active Member

Indian Motorcycle is making becoming an IMRG member easier, beginning in 2020, national membership dues are eliminated. Local chapter dues are set and collected at the discretion of each individual chapter. Please contact your officers with any questions about local dues.

Well, there you go...

theMucker and Baldhead_J like this.
  18. Gator Mcklusky

Gator Mcklusky Gold Member

I love the concept and the brand promotion, but I don’t ride with strangers. I wish them well with what ever changes they make.

Warlock and IROQUOIS like this.
  19. Largeandy

Largeandy Well-Known Member

I never saw much reaching our nor active involvement from an IMRG and consequently had very little interest in joining. Time is valuable and for a chapter or group or club to work properly, there has to be solid reasons to belong, I just never saw any of that. I was a member at one time of a local HOG group and it was very actively supported and they stimulated a lot of group activities and group rides but anymore, I do very little of that for a host of reasons. The local HD dealer was very aggressive in its support of that particular HOG group. Not sayin IMRG was attempting to copy this but seems they might have but I personally did not see a real strong organizational benefit nor any real solid reason to join the so called local IMRG. Seems local dealerships need to really be behind the support of these kinds of groups and the network of pure Indian dealerships is still awfully thin nationwide.

Warlock and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  20. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Bronze Member

Never saw much point in paying for membership. Had two 1 year free memberships, registered 'em both and never heard a thing from IMRG. About a month after the 2nd one expired I got my first newsletter in the email. That made me chuckle hard. I figure I'll get as much usage out of the free one.