1. lastride

lastride New Member

I've got a 2016 Chief Vintage I bought last winter as a factory demo. It had 4100 miles on the odometer and the first time I rode it was the day I brought it home due to horrible weather conditions. I noticed a noise coming from low in the bike when I hit a decent bump but didn't think much about it since I didn't know the bike yet and my concern was getting home before my fingers froze. That banging sound has continued to the point that it's annoying and is just wrong. I always thought it was the kickstand hitting the frame because I'd been through that before with another bike when I lost the rubber bumper that prevents that. Today I finally crawled underneath to check. It's not that and I can't find anything that is loose or would make that noise when hitting bumps. I just thought maybe someone could give me something to look for before I have to go through the hassle of taking it to the dealer just to find out it was something simple that any twelve year old could figure out.

2. Rawhide

Rawhide Well-Known Member
    Original 111

If it is only happening when you hit a bump check your shock that it is set up correctly, sag travel etc.
    I have a 14 Vintage and eventually switched to an air shock.
    In my opinion adjusting the original shock was a pain every time I switched from riding solo to 2 up and the ride greatly improved with the air shock.

Rawhide

tthunder38 and doublej like this.
  3. lastride

lastride New Member

Great idea Rawhide. That will be my next step. So I would think if it's the shock then it's probably slammed and needs more travel. Am I thinking right?

4. Rawhide

Rawhide Well-Known Member
    Original 111

Last ride,
    You are on the right track. Not enough travel and no rebound.
    You will need a special wrench to adjust the shock and it is trial and error process. Do you have a shop manual?

Rawhide

5. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

All shocks are weight related and need setting for your own weight.
    If you jack the bike so the wheel is just clear of the ground then measure from the axle to a mark vertically above on say the guard (people put a piece of tape on the guard and draw a line on it measure too) take that measurement Then put bike on the floor and sit on it and have someone measure again you need the difference to be around 30-35mm as a general guide line, if more than that harden the spring and if less then that soften the spring.

Alpal, Rodd, Baldhead_J and 1 other person like this.
  6. lastride

lastride New Member

No I don't. I've watched the how to video on adjusting the shock like putamayo described but I don't have a way of jacking up the bike so I thought I'd try the trial and error method to see if that stopped the problem. This is probably the last bike I'll have so an air shock is probably in my future.

7. putamayo

putamayo Well-Known Member

Once you have set the shock you never need to change it, most bikers will get by if you ride 2 up say 30% of the time. If you ride say 80% of the time 2 up then set it for 2 up. I have had air shocks on other bikes and it's the same once set seldom altered. Really is it worth the cost? If after you do the setting and it still seems to bottom out then the shock may need to be regased which is not such a big job. BUTTTTTT considering it has only done a low mileage I doubt it very much.
    The best thing you can do is go to a suspension shop and most will set it up for free as it would only takes a few minutes to do.

8. lastride

lastride New Member

Well I think I'll see if I can adjust it myself to start with. It is an easy process and any time I can get my hands on any piece of the bike I'll become more familiar with it. Thanks gentlemen and I'll let you know how it turns out.

tthunder38 and thumper like this.
  9. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Bronze Member

Mine (16 Vintage) does this occasionally on bigger bumps. It hasn't been often enough, or annoying enough, to bother me ... yet.

Edit: I wasn't doing anything else after work so I backed the shock nut off a turn and tested it on the one bump sure to make the clang - the end of my driveway. No clang after adjustment.

#9 Zipperhead Frankenberry, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Baldhead_J likes this.