Any Springfield types here coming from Road Kings?

Discussion in 'Indian Springfield' started by fixxer, Apr 26, 2020.

1. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Sorry folks,
    I searched again and again and didn't find posts comparing their Spriengfield to a Road King.
    I'm considering a K1600B as well but my Wife does not like the aesthetics on that bike, so I'm back to either the Road King or the Springfield. Mostly it will be used to run errands on week ends (2up).

I'm thinking about the 2020 Springfield Dark Horse (116) with Stage 2 kit or a 20/20 Road King Special (114) with a SE Stg 3 kit. These would get me in the ball park of what my Freedom 106 is putting out following cams, various upgrades and a legit custom tune. It will be nice to do this stuff and stay under warranty for once. I'm accustomed to the larger tour frames and more forward control placement.

I'm sure some of you went from Road Kings to Springfields. I'm a 6ft guy with a 5'8" wife that likes to go two up occasionally. I'm would add a quick detachable sissy bar and quick detachable wind deflector on either for longer trips out of town.

Any input on why you went to Springfield vs Road King is greatly appreciated.

Stay safe,
    -fixxer

IROQUOIS likes this.
  2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Here: Quick Ride On The 2019 Indian Springfield Dark Horse

IROQUOIS likes this.
  3. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Also, @Bobby Jesus can probably give you some personal anecdotes.

IROQUOIS likes this.
  4. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

5. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Own a 16. Black. Rush slip ons, Indian ac and sissy bar. 33k Miles. Lots of rush hour traffic in their as well as highway rides. Have ridden from miso to Tennessee a couple times on this bike. Bottom line; I’m very happy. Long wheel base makes for riding on a cloud.

IROQUOIS likes this.
  6. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Every bit helps. Folks that had or still have a Road King and have a Springfield seem a rarity. The internet is lousy with test riders that give "impressions" but never actually owned either of them. I'm interesting in said owners perspectives.

I should also add I said it would be used mostly for weekend errands 2-up. That's not correct. Mostly it will be me cruising 1-up and occasionally going on extended trips for training I do for work related stuff. The errands and occasional 2-up will be some nice weekends where I can get the wife out on it. She likes to ride around town but gets anxious when we end up on interstates for whatever reason. 10+ years of riding with me 2-up; with not even a close call, and she still can't get over the fact that cars are moving next to you on the freeway.

#6 fixxer, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    IROQUOIS likes this.
  7. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

I've been ask many times.....why didn't you buy a HD?
    I told them because everybody has a Harley..... especially black ones.
    When Indian introduced the Springfield I said that's what I'm waiting for! Add the fact that Indian has Polaris behind them sealed the deal.
    My wife and I have done "motorcycle vacations" every year now. It does the job just fine on the open road. It's a great local bike to ride. Best of both worlds in my eyes.

Baldhead_J and Big A like this.
  8. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Thank you. That was my thoughts. I'll be the first to admit that when/if I buy the Dark Horse or the RK Special, I'm buying a short QD wind deflector/windshield as part of the deal (and highway bars). I live in Central Kansas so I'm going to be honest with myself about dealing with constant headwinds. I'll be looking forward to calm evenings when I can take off the deflector and intend on one of the bags being dedicated as it's home.

IROQUOIS likes this.
  9. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

We strap a sissybar bag on the back and away we go. I learn every trip what to bring and not to bring.
    It's a very stable platform for touring. As @Bobby Jesus stated it rides great. 2up is no problem. Adjust air shock based on the weight your putting on the bike (riders & cargo) and you're good to go.

muz and Bobby Jesus like this.
  10. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

I've never owned a RK, but have ridden a few (did have an Ultra for several years). Also have had an Indian Scout & Vintage.... now have a 17' RM and a 19' Springfield Darkhorse White Smoke. Aside from the unbeatable & unique styling the Springfield over the RK (honestly the RK is pretty sharp, and still falls short IMO) you will find that the handling is superior. The bike seems to "know" where you want to go, with a very light steering feel all of which makes it a very fun bike to ride. The well engineered air over rear suspension and neutral sitting position make it a solid two up ride all day bike. The Factory 116" torque and hp curves will be more favorable than the HD engine too.

Again, you just need to go ride one of each and see what your arse tells you. Have fun!

And oh yeah, whatever bike you get put a recurve windshield on it. I prefer Freedom (Colorado) due to their thickness but many people here like the Klockworks.

#10 doublej, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Baldhead_J likes this.
  11. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Thank you!
    I have a dealership lined up in late May that can accommodate test riding both (pending the pandemic release).

Neither will be the exact trims that I am looking for, so I'll have to use my imagination and any feedback I can get.

The White Smoke Dark Horse is exactly what I'm looking at! It's very unique.
    If you don't mind: Is it hard to clean? I've never owned a matte painted vehicle before. It seems to me that it might be a PITA to clean but it might not be as "rough textured" as industrial matte finishes that I've dealt with in the past. I'm used to scrubbing bugs off the windshield and going, so it's not like I have a perfect track record of keeping the bike paint clean anyway.

12. doublej

doublej Bronze Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

Not exactly what you're looking for but I'm friends with the owner. White Smoke 2017 Chieftain $16,500 | Indian Rider - Indian Motorcycle Forums This bike is impeccable and runs great (not sure if still for sale.....?).

Matte is pretty easy to keep clean...I use ammonia free windex to spot clean and dawn dish soap to remove heavy grease and oil build up. I think it's easier to clean than a polished finish!

I attached a couple pics for you. The bike came with stage 2 from the dealer. Good luck!

Attached Files:

Baldhead_J and Big A like this.
  13. Dabs

Dabs New Member

I have had a road king but was the old 1450 twin cam, I got it for a couple of year but sold it after 6 years, I love the ride feeling it gave me. I then bought the Springfield 2016 , loved the style even more . I tested a chief first and loved it from the first 20 feet of the test. There was no comparison to the harsher ride of the RK, i have rode 2019 road kings, nice engine but still top heavy at lower speeds, and i dont like black on black bikes. Has it's already been said, test both bikes first and you will make the right choice.

14. Jeepjk

Jeepjk Member

I had a 2003 RK. From the start I thought something was wrong with the suspension. Bike didn't feel balanced-like I was always fighting it. Had tires balanced and wheels checked. Even had someone check the frame measurements. It wasn't fun to drive anymore. Got to the point where it sit in the garage while I rode my Triumph. Finally sold it. Test rode and bought a new 17 Springfield. Like night and day difference.

doublej likes this.
  15. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Thanks guys.
    Everything I've seen and read point to Indian. I'm working onboard a ship until late May, when I can get out and test ride some bikes.
    A 2020 Springfield Darkhorse in White Smoke is a tall order to find anywhere close to my local area. I don't want to test ride a standard Springfield and order a bike that I haven't ridden, so maybe I'll be touring again on the Vision for awhile to go from state to state. I haven't "toured" for awhile (which is probably why I'm not crazy about touchscreen interfaces and do-dads on my next bike, especially because an upgraded version of all that is in my pocket on a phone).

At this point I'll probably give HD a chance just to see what they're riding like lately but I have a feeling based on the last time I did this 10 years ago, it will just be a box to be checked. Hopefully their sales experience has adapted or they will be extinct by the time my generation (X) is at the baby boomer age.

16. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Best of luck to you. Enjoy the journey !