Another Perspective of Polaris

Discussion in 'IMRG Chapters' started by Blueshwk, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Blueshwk

Blueshwk Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

This past Tuesday I was part of a two man contingent from the newly formed Rocket City IMRG chapter that met with one of the Human Resource guys at the Polaris plant here in Huntsville.

This meeting was a joint undertaking called for following Polaris' learning of the existence of a local IMRG chapter. After hearing of their interest level and at their request, we contacted them and set up the meeting. I plan to cover the visit with impressions and a few pics in three or four separate installments beginning with this post.

Located west of Huntsville's International Airport the just under 1,000,000 square ft Polaris facility went up quickly after the decision was made to locate the plant here. It has been in operation just short of two years and already employs over 700 local men and women, many whom are power-sports or motorcycle enthusiasts. This is evidenced by the number of those types of vehicles parked outside as well as the impressive incentive plans available to them..... More on this later.

Our visit began at the local HD dealership which is located just three minutes from Polaris. This proximity made Redstone HD the logical spot for gathering to discuss the appointment prior to heading over. A quick eye scan was all that was needed to see the Street Glide reigns as the area's most popular HD model. There was a large grouping of tightly aligned Baggers dominating the showroom with the remainder of the lineup located nearby. Like many, this HD dealership is large as is the new bike inventory. After chatting and some meandering we departed Redstone and began the arduous three mile run to our destination. Our meeting was set for 1:00 and we wanted to be prompt on this our inaugural meet and gree
    t day.
    20170628_120156.jpg

Pulling through the Polaris gate we were greeted by a view of the massive compound and it was impressive. There were multiple parking areas all easily accessed from the gated main entrance roadway including a dedicated covered motorcycle parking area. This day it held several motorcycles with the Scout being the clear attendance winner. There was also a Vic Vision in a prime spot under the covered area as well as a scattering of other Indian models.
    20170628_141906.jpg

We parked, walked past a UTV display [that just screamed that you are in the right place], and headed for the entrance.
    20170628_142046_001.jpg

More later.......

2. HINK

HINK Well-Known Member

Wow!! Impressive facility and good to see they're hooking up with local riders.

sidecarsam likes this.
  3. Graham UK

Graham UK Well-Known Member

It's good to see Polaris investing in its customer base in this way. It bodes well for the future.

sidecarsam likes this.
  4. geewago

geewago Well-Known Member

Great story. Sounds rather odd though that you would stop at the HD dealer to have a discussion about going to the Polaris factory. Unless you're like me, sometimes I pull into the HD dealer and ride around the building a time or two just to give them a good view.

sidecarsam and car54 like this.
  5. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

There's really nothing else in the immediate vicinity, other than a BBQ joint with a large bar.

sidecarsam likes this.
  6. Blueshwk

Blueshwk Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

Entering the lobby it is hard to not be taken aback by the many Polaris displays that fill the space. It would again be difficult for me to judge the dimensions of the lobby but I bet most of, if not all, of the employee's could answer that question. This is a knowledgeable bunch here.
    20170628_125740.jpg

There are ATV's and UTV's lining the walls including a [consumer version mock up?] of the turbo-charged diesel MRZR D4 Combat Vehicle, This high tech marvel is far removed from the Polaris RZR and I would just love my hands on one.
    20170628_125734.jpg

There is also the Indian display featuring a 2017 Willow Green and Ivory Cream Roadmaster, and a bit of a surprise was the Vic display which after some thought doesn't surprise me at all, They will continue to support the Victory line so in effect it is still a Polaris product. There were also a few Slingshot's on the floor which stands to reason as this is the only Slingshot manufacturing and assembly plant in the world.
    20170628_125800.jpg

Unfortunately there was little time for more than a quick walk through and after a few pictures before our contact appeared. After a moment of non formal introductions, we signed in clipped on our visitor badges and followed him toward the plant. No camera's beyond this point but I will do my best to describe what we saw.
    Oh and an interesting item of note here is that we were not issued safety equipment which did not go unnoticed by me. Not only is this a non hard hat plant, there is no hearing protection required either.
    Hearing this was a wow moment for me.....

#6 Blueshwk, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. thumper

thumper Gold Member
    Original 111

Great write up so far. Looking forward to more.

sidecarsam likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Silver Member
    Original 111

Yabba Dabba Dooooo, I want more tooooo.

9. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

Good one! :D

10. Vintage

Vintage Well-Known Member

Excellent story thanks for sharing. Wouldn't mine doing that tour someday. Only thing I would do different is hit the BBQ joint with large bar instead of HD dealer, lol

Diz and sidecarsam like this.
  11. Baron Wiens

Baron Wiens Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Great story be looking forward to more!