American Custom Exhaust...NOPE

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Performance' started by Jackman, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Jackman

Jackman Member

Sent my stock head pipe into American Custom Exhaust to have the cat deleted. 3 weeks later I get it back. Sure, they had a tropical storm go through there and lost power for a bit so i get it. Can't and won't hold them responsible for a natural disaster. I finally get it back and the piece of the head pipe that fits around the front head pipe is bent to the point that it will not go over the front head pipe. It's so bent that there is a straight line where it should be round. I find a muffler shop that flakes it out for me so that takes care of that. But when I email them with a picture of the bent pipe their response is...
    Sorry, we don't know how to respond to this.

Thanks for contacting us!

The Team at American Custom
    This is their customer service.
    Save time and frustration and buy your head pipe from Fuel Moto or some other reputable place.

Attached Files:

PileOParts likes this.
  2. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I'd raise unholy hell. I'm sorry you have this to deal with. Rotten service sucks.

3. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Appreciate warnings about sub-standard vendors. Even though I'm not a prospect, thanks for the heads-up. Let's all do this when appropriate and protect each other from ripoffs, disappointments, and inconvenience.

muz and Gator Mcklusky like this.
  4. Jackman

Jackman Member

This is the reply I received this morning:

See attached picture. It wasn't bent and pushed in when I sent it to y'all. Should be circular at the 1:00 o'clock position.
    Jeff We received a header with the same crimp in it yesterday, except it was about three times larger. Often times, this happens in transit...probably as yours did. We tapped it very lightly 3 times with a hammer...amazing...it was perfectly round. Ironically it does not need to be perfectly round since it slips over a pipe and then clamps to it, forcing a perfect seal. We could have used a wrench or the heavy end of a screwdriver to do the same thing. If you would have just asked we would have told you that.
    People can justify anything. Why in the cornbread hell would I take a screwdriver and a hammer to the inside of an exhaust where it could leave a space or a dimple where the clamp doesn't seal tightly? Then i have an exhaust leak. Not saying DON'T use American Custom Exhaust just know that if it comes back missed up it was your fault.

5. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

This actually the first complaint I've heard about American Custom.
    They constantly get pipes in and out of there. Makes you wonder if you even get the actual pipe you send in....?

SouthernProducer likes this.
  6. Jackman

Jackman Member

Part of my name was on there. But if people are sending in a generic head pipe and they are all the same and they just take an assembly line approach to redoing the pipes and sending them back out who knows? I did read one review where the customer said he made a notch or a mark or something on the head pipe he sent in and that mark was there when he got it back.
    But maybe the crew saw that and made sure they sent that particular pipe back to that particular person.
    I told them in my email that I should have listened to that little voice and gine with Fuel Moto. The person responding said they felt disrespected by that comment. You felt disrespected? How do you think I felt when I got back a pipe that I couldn't use, had to find a shop that would round it back it back it for me, and then you say it's my fault?
    I am sure all the reviews that say how bad ass these guys are are from very satisfied customers. I just happened to be that one guy.

IROQUOIS and Baldhead_J like this.
  7. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

I read that the vendor expects the customer to correct any mistakes they make or any defect they send out. Bull. That response alone would end them for me.

8. Jackman

Jackman Member

A bit more info on American Custom Exhaust that I think y'all should know: don't recall if i read it on the website or if it was talking with someone but I remember seeing or hearing that one could ride the motorcycle, in my case a 2019 Roadmaster, with the cat deleted and not need a tune. In my case that is not true. I called Pikes Peak Indian in Colorado Springs, Co, who pride themselves in being on the cutting edge of performance within the Indian MC community. I told them about the surging (the bike would idle at between 1600 and 1100 RPM. When I would blip the throttle it would race to 3700 RPM and stay there for about 7 seconds before settling into a surge of RPM) and they responded immediately with, "without the cat in the head pipe there is no back pressure and the ECM is looking for that back pressure. Without that back pressure the ECM doesn't know how to respond so it surges looking to compensate for the lack of back pressure. The air is flowing so free that ECM doesn't know what to do. A tune is the only thing that will fix it".
    So if you choose to go with ACE then you better have a tuner from someone with a tune that will compensate for the lack of back pressure.
    I emailed them and let them know. They told me via email that i had done something wrong, something was not connected. Once again it was my fault that 1) the pipe was bent to the point of being unuseable when i got it back and 2) the bike was not operating as it should.
    Not saying don't use them. Nope. Not at all. The pipe I got back from them is a good job. Welding is done good. The diverter is a good job inside the head pipe.
    Just be sure and have a tune because chances are it will not operate properly with out one.

9. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

So much competition out there. Price is often the same.
    Customer service is what separate's companies.
    Sounds like they missed the mark....

tthunder38 likes this.
  10. Jackman

Jackman Member

And this was their reply to my email about contacting Pikes Peak Indian and asking them about the issue:

Once again, you are 100% wrong. I asked you to call us on Monday and we would help. We believe we know the problem. It's in the install. We sold tens of thousands of these for over twelve years. The only people who have any problems are those who do an incorrect install.
    We are telling the truth. You are insulting us every time we try to help. You don't know what you're doing.
    You're on your own now.

Thanks for contacting us!

The Team at American Custom

That is a possibility. I have installed, certainly not tens of thousands of exhausts, but I knew my Harley like the back of my hand and helped a lot of friends with their Harley exhaust systems. Exhaust systems are not rocket surgery nor brain science. Could I have done something wrong? Sure. Absolutely. Missed a step? It happens. Do I think I did? I do not; nuts, bolts, and one O2 sensor. If this were my first one I would be on the very possible side.
    You ever read reviews for hotels and or restaurants and there are a thousand 5 and 4 star reviews but there is always that 1 star guy? And then you read that review and you think...c'mon...really? Get a grip. I must be that one guy. Workmanship is great! Cannot deny that.

11. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Gold Member

I would call them. Emails are easy pissing matches.
    Confront them.

Ling and Baldhead_J like this.
  12. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Not for nothing, but in 5 years this is the first complaint I've heard about those dudes. But shit does happen.