Adding a crash bar? You need to know this:

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Guides and How-To's' started by Baldhead_J, Nov 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

20161126_152912.jpg

So the extraordinarily simple instructions leave out some things you need ro know going in.

On the CDH:
    1st, THIS IS A TWO MAN JOB.

2nd, They don't tell you that the oil line retaining clip has to come off (small ratchet or 03 Allen Key is required)

*3rd, The shift linkage has to be removed (10mm socket).

4th, They don't tell you to keep the drivers floor board elevated when you install the bar (this may be obvious to you when you read this, but the rest of us dummies can mess it up and will just set it down securely).

*Post analysis (discussion with @Blueshwk) yields I might have avoided this by using a long 90° Allen Key and some **patience.

**Ya, not my strong suit

#1 Baldhead_J, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. SouthernProducer

SouthernProducer Well-Known Member

I've found that the Indian accessories installation instructions are really "lacking". That's where these forum are invaluable so guys/gals get the info they need to finish the job the right way.

Thanks for completing the instructions for that installation, Baldhead_J...

3. storskegg

storskegg Member
    Supporter

Well, I'm glad I saw this. The mustachios should be in this week, and was going to mount them right there in the parking lot, just like I did the rears. (Note to self: do it in the shade next time.) I learned a few things doing it, though: my hex keys blow (I knew it when I got them, but my options were shit, really shit, and oh no; I went with my best option: shit), and the stainless (too heavy for aluminum) bolt heads were a lot softer than I would have expected.

Good hex keys arrive tomorrow, but I don't know if they'll qualify as long for the purposes of not removing the shift linkage, or in my case: not requiring a 10mm socket. (I've been without tools for a while, and buying them as I require them.)

Thanks a ton for sharing what you learned!

Baldhead_J likes this.
  4. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

I haven't seen this thread or that motorcycle in quite a while. Glad it helped.