2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse

Discussion in 'Indian Chief Dark Horse' started by NickJ, Feb 11, 2021.

1. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

Initial Ride impressions review:

I’ve been riding bikes since I was 6/7 years old. I’ve owned four different Indians since there re-emergence in 2014. A 2015 Chief Dark Horse, 2016 Chieftain DH (pvcx/remote tuned) and 2018 RM Icon w/loydz 558 cams and pvcx/tuned for a total of 70k plus miles on them combined. I thought I’d give you guys and gals my impressions of my new Chief Dark Horse after the first 250 miles. Thinking since I am coming from a Roadmaster it might be of interest to others that are thinking of making the change. At some point in the next few months I’ll be doing a trip probably 2500-3000 miles. I’ll make another post after that trip.

250 miles in impression:
    Ride home from dealership. First 60 miles was just to get comfortable with the bike. Didn’t push it, just felt out the handling and new ride command.
    Today I took new scoot for a good spirited shakedown ride. I do not baby my bikes so I saw speeds from 0-95+ and rpms up to right at redline. This ride was 150 or so miles up into Alabama and back to NW Florida. Like it a lot, but definitely need the mid rise bars. Did a little 4 lane and a lot of backroads. Suspension is good, not nearly as plush as RM or Chieftain but comparable to my original dark horse. Seat is surprisingly decent, didn’t get uncomfortable until the last 20mins. Think the change of bars and seating position will make that better. Drag bars have me wanting to lean forward to much. Found some decent twisty spots and now I can’t wait to get this thing on some mountain roads….

Also punched the plugs out of the stock mufflers. Not a big difference in sound. I’d say a bit less noticeable than the big bikes with same mod. Did find that the collector where the cat is located has what looks to be an added piece of plate steel to the out side. I suppose that is an attempt to reduce heat to your calf when stopped with feet on the ground. Nav on the ride command works well and has voice prompts if you have a headset connected. Super simple pairing my iPhone and PacTalk to the bike and able to use bikes volume and audio controls.

doublej and muz like this.
  2. muz

muz Bronze Member

Thanks for your initial review. I am surprised you say the suspension is pretty good, as I have seen some youtube reviews saying they are pretty average to bad on real rough roads.Yep, definitely needs mini apes or pullback bars. how did you find the mid controls?? Enjoy your new beasty.

3. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

Well I can honestly say I knew what to expect going in with the suspension. Front is a little soft and rear a little stiff. Nothing a few tweaks can’t fix. Coming from a old MX background I figure an adjustment to the fork oil level or weight will help the forks and I’ll play with the pre-load on the rear to find the sweet spot for me. Don’t get me wrong it can be harsh if you don’t consider the bikes overall stance and intended use. I hit some pretty rough spots today and although the RM would have sucked them up the Chief wasn’t uncomfortable to me.

As for the mid controls I don’t have them. I opted for the forward controls with floorboards. This may have helped in my ride impression since the boards are semi floating like the bigger bikes.

Attached Files:

muz and Rocko like this.
  4. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Did you have any engine up grades(stage 2 or 1). I was thinking about downsizing from my RM also. Bike's getting too heavy for my worn out ass. Neck, shoulder, and back surgeries plus the knees starting to pop all the time have me wanting to get on something a little lighter. Not able to do the long rides much anymore. Putting together a dark horse on the Indian website with a few engine upgrades(1st and 2nd stage package), floor boards, windshield and maybe some bags. Like the mag wheels instead of the laces on the Super Chief Limited. Hope to hear more from you in the future after you have some more miles. Also, will need to sell the RM to be able to afford the change.

muz likes this.
  5. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

No engine upgrades yet waiting on Stage 1 parts. I am also adding midrise bars, short windshield, saddle bags, passenger seat, quick release backrest, crash bar and highway pegs again waiting on parts. Bike is definitely a lot lighter (close to 300lbs less than a RM) and easier to handle. I will likely add Loydz 558 cams and a PV3 tune in the next year or so.

Being pretty much fully retired I couldn't justify both the RM and the Chief. Indian Motorcycle of Panama City Beach gave me a really good deal on my RM as a trade.

6. muz

muz Bronze Member

Sounds like an awesome set up for the Chief. My kind of thinking as well. Man that is a huge weight reduction from the Roadmaster.

7. muz

muz Bronze Member

Thank you very much for the reply regarding the suspension. Appreciated.

8. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

@CGCWO Nice review....as you said sounds like the suspension is tuneable enough....best of luck with that awesome ride!

9. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

screenshot.png
    It finally arrived. Love everything about it. Only sad thing is there weren't any blacked out exhaust shields, so they put the chrome ones on so the bike would ship out sooner. The blacked out shields will be sent to the dealer when they come available. And that's fine. It sure doesn't slow it down. I ordered all of the Super Chief add-ons (windshield, passenger seat and backrest, highway lights, etc.)but it all won't be in until December. The stage 2 throttle body, cams and injectors made it in, but no pipes or air cleaner. So until it all shows up I'll ride it for the 500mi break-in. I will say this. The power this thing has is unbelievable. Maybe it's the difference between riding the heavy ass RM I've been on up till now or the power of the 116 and the lighter weight. Whichever, this bad boy is a blast to ride. I'm sure I'll finish my riding days on this one with a big grin on my face.:D:D:D:D:):):cool:

10. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Congrats, bro. Looks TUFF!

Rocko likes this.
  11. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Very cool. Congrats

Rocko likes this.
  12. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

Mostly Finished turning it into a Super Chief Dark Horse. AF095736-D8F5-4C95-80FC-13FD9BBD8D04.jpeg 8054B5C0-DCCD-4AE6-9FA4-61ED8EBD25BC.jpeg

13. JuanPoopalot

JuanPoopalot Bronze Member

14. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

We must be thinking along the same lines. I've got all the same mods. Took forever to get the mounts for the windshield, bags and highway lights. Had fishtail tips for the stage 2 exhaust that were discontinued a month after I ordered them and was never told about them and never offered the slash cuts for a replacement. Finally got the dealer to order the slash cuts and was told it could be June before they ship. Indian never sent the black heat shields and finally sent me a voucher for $500 bucks to get them from anywhere I could find them to cover the cost of the shields and labor to install. After checking around, I found out that dealers are just sending the chrome ones out to be powder coated.I can get that done here local. I love this bike, but it seems that Indian and Polaris dropped the ball on making sure they had parts before they put them out on the market.
    I found out after I ordered the bike that PCB had one with the black shields. I guess it was my bad for not doing a little research before pulling the trigger on this one.
    I also ordered the reduced reach bars which I got, but the extended cables you need to install it with have no date as to when they will be available do to "supply chain issues". Cancelled that and trying to find some risers to fit. Taking any recommendations for those if anybody knows something. Enough bitching. I'll be taking the bike to Music City Indian to have the Stage 2 put on per Baldhead's advice.

Baldhead_J likes this.
  15. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

You'll be glad you did. Please feel free to use my real name when you show up. Hell, maybe I'll meet you there.

16. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I talked to Rox about using their risers for a scout since they both seem to have the same speedo setup. They told me they wouldn't work. What did you use?

17. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Spec Showdown: Harley-Davidson Softail Standard Vs. Indian Chief
    A bruiser between two heavyweight cruisers.
    [​IMG]
    Jul 21, 2022 at 2:32pm ET
    By: Dustin Wheelen
    The rivalry between Harley-Davidson and Indian Motorcycle dates back to the early aughts—of the 1900s. From the board track to the dirt track, the two American manufacturers duked it out for generations before Indian’s post-war decline ultimately led to its demise in 1953. The Motor Company, of course, carried on, but the battle was far from over.

After changing ownership throughout the latter half of the 20th century and the turn of the Millenium, the Indian name sold to American powersports brand Polaris in 2011. The revived company rolled out its first models under Polaris ownership in 2013, reigniting the long-dormant war between the two American icons.

Like any great rivalry, the brands traded blows over the past few years. Indian’s Wrecking Crew may dominate in American Flat Track, but the Bar and Shield captured the King of the Baggers championship in 2021. That blow-for-blow battle only bleeds into the streets, where both OEMs fight for cruiser supremacy.

Harley-Davidson upped the ante with the all-new 2021 Sportster S, prioritizing performance in a showdown with Indian’s 100-horsepower Scout. Indian cast its own stone when it introduced the highly-revised Chief lineup, positioning the stripped-down bobber to take on Harley’s recently revamped Softail series.

Overview
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    2022 Harley-Davidson Softail 2022 Indian Chief
    Engine: Oil/air-cooled, 1,753cc V-twin Air-cooled, 1,811cc V-twin
    Bore and Stroke: 100 mm x 111.1 mm 101 mm x 113 mm
    Transmission: 6-speed 6-speed
    Performance: 78 hp/ 110 lb-ft 79 hp/ 108 lb-ft
    Weight (wet): 655 pounds 670 pounds
    Price: $13,949 $14,999

Pound For Pound
    Big-bore V-twins dominate the cruiser market and the MoCo and Indian pull no punches with their muscular mills. Harley’s Milwaukee-Eight 107 engine benefits from oil/air-cooling and a 107ci (1,753cc displacement). That vigorous V-Twin pumps out 78 horsepower and 110 lb-ft of torque as a result, but Indian isn't afraid to go even bigger.

The 2022 Indian Chief hit the scene with the firm’s Thunderstroke 111 powerplant. The pushrod-actuated V-Twin flaunts a larger displacement at 111ci (1,811 cc), but solely relies on cooling fins to dissipate heat. Despite four extra cubic inches of volume, the Thunderstroke only wrangles one extra pony (79 horsepower) and generates 108 -ft of torque.

The power difference may be undiscernible in the saddle, but torque remains king in the cruiser world. With just 2 lb-ft separating the Chief and Softail’s peak torque figures, the Harley narrowly out-duels the Indian. When factoring in the Softail Standard’s 655-pound curb weight and the Chief’s 670-pound wet weight, that small toque advantage becomes more pronounced.

[​IMG]
    The saying goes, “there’s no replacement for displacement” but Harley-Davidson proves that assumption wrong with its Milwaukee-Eight 107 V-twin. The Thunderstroke 111 puts up a valiant fight yet Harley claims this round by the slimmest margins. Of course, with the two engines so evenly matched, the real difference between the Softail Standard and the Chief will come down to the rider's right wrist, but the Hog seizes the victory on paper.

Tale of the Tape
    The similarities between the bobbers don’t end with the big-bore V-twins. Both the Chief and the Softail share a 4.9-inch ground clearance and 28.5-degree lean angle. The Indian sports a 29-degree rake and a 64-inch wheelbase, which practically mirrors the Harley’s 30-degree head angle and 64.2-inch wheelbase.

Low seat heights are critical for heavyweight cruisers, and the Softail Standards wins the race to the bottom with a 25.8-inch stand-over measurement that barely beats the Chief’s 26-inch seat height. However, the Indian will keep you in that saddle longer with a 4-gallon gas tank outrunning the Harley’s 3.5-gallon unit.

[​IMG]
    Showa’s dual-bending valve, 49mm fork and a 43mm rear monoshock give the Softail chassis a slight edge over the Chief’s 46mm front end and dual shocks out back. Harlistas shouldn’t get ahead of themselves, though, as the Chief’s Pirelli Night Dragon tires outperform the Softail’s Dunlop rubber. Lastly, both manufacturers turn to a four-piston caliper up front and a two-pot binder in the rear to bring the bare-bones bobbers to a halt.

On the spec sheet, the Chief and Softail are nearly indistinguishable. The Harley touts a lower seat, but the Indian goes the distance. The Chief’s tires optimize cornering grip, while the Softail’s tuned chassis makes it no slouch in the twisties either. With such a fine margin between the two cruisers, this round boils down to a draw, but one last factor could be the deciding factor for many consumers.

Split-Decision
    Starting at $13,949, the 2022 Harley-Davidson Softail Standard slightly undercuts the 2022 Indian Chief’s $14,999 MSRP. The two models aren’t just practically identical on the spec sheet, they also cater to the same audience with a custom-ready, stripped-back aesthetic. Considering the Softail’s price tag, nominal power advantage, and fine-tuned chassis, we have to award the final victory to Harley.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Though, we also need to recognize Indian’s efforts with the latest-generation Chief. Harley-Davidson and Indian’s rivalry may be nearly 120 years in the making, but the showroom showdown between the Chief and the Softail should only intensify the decades-long war.

Yirkash likes this.
  18. Yirkash

Yirkash Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

Baldhead_J likes this.