2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse

Discussion in 'Indian Chief Dark Horse' started by NickJ, Feb 11, 2021.

1. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

Initial Ride impressions review:

I’ve been riding bikes since I was 6/7 years old. I’ve owned four different Indians since there re-emergence in 2014. A 2015 Chief Dark Horse, 2016 Chieftain DH (pvcx/remote tuned) and 2018 RM Icon w/loydz 558 cams and pvcx/tuned for a total of 70k plus miles on them combined. I thought I’d give you guys and gals my impressions of my new Chief Dark Horse after the first 250 miles. Thinking since I am coming from a Roadmaster it might be of interest to others that are thinking of making the change. At some point in the next few months I’ll be doing a trip probably 2500-3000 miles. I’ll make another post after that trip.

250 miles in impression:
    Ride home from dealership. First 60 miles was just to get comfortable with the bike. Didn’t push it, just felt out the handling and new ride command.
    Today I took new scoot for a good spirited shakedown ride. I do not baby my bikes so I saw speeds from 0-95+ and rpms up to right at redline. This ride was 150 or so miles up into Alabama and back to NW Florida. Like it a lot, but definitely need the mid rise bars. Did a little 4 lane and a lot of backroads. Suspension is good, not nearly as plush as RM or Chieftain but comparable to my original dark horse. Seat is surprisingly decent, didn’t get uncomfortable until the last 20mins. Think the change of bars and seating position will make that better. Drag bars have me wanting to lean forward to much. Found some decent twisty spots and now I can’t wait to get this thing on some mountain roads….

Also punched the plugs out of the stock mufflers. Not a big difference in sound. I’d say a bit less noticeable than the big bikes with same mod. Did find that the collector where the cat is located has what looks to be an added piece of plate steel to the out side. I suppose that is an attempt to reduce heat to your calf when stopped with feet on the ground. Nav on the ride command works well and has voice prompts if you have a headset connected. Super simple pairing my iPhone and PacTalk to the bike and able to use bikes volume and audio controls.

doublej and muz like this.
  2. muz

muz Bronze Member

Thanks for your initial review. I am surprised you say the suspension is pretty good, as I have seen some youtube reviews saying they are pretty average to bad on real rough roads.Yep, definitely needs mini apes or pullback bars. how did you find the mid controls?? Enjoy your new beasty.

3. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

Well I can honestly say I knew what to expect going in with the suspension. Front is a little soft and rear a little stiff. Nothing a few tweaks can’t fix. Coming from a old MX background I figure an adjustment to the fork oil level or weight will help the forks and I’ll play with the pre-load on the rear to find the sweet spot for me. Don’t get me wrong it can be harsh if you don’t consider the bikes overall stance and intended use. I hit some pretty rough spots today and although the RM would have sucked them up the Chief wasn’t uncomfortable to me.

As for the mid controls I don’t have them. I opted for the forward controls with floorboards. This may have helped in my ride impression since the boards are semi floating like the bigger bikes.

Attached Files:

muz and Rocko like this.
  4. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Did you have any engine up grades(stage 2 or 1). I was thinking about downsizing from my RM also. Bike's getting too heavy for my worn out ass. Neck, shoulder, and back surgeries plus the knees starting to pop all the time have me wanting to get on something a little lighter. Not able to do the long rides much anymore. Putting together a dark horse on the Indian website with a few engine upgrades(1st and 2nd stage package), floor boards, windshield and maybe some bags. Like the mag wheels instead of the laces on the Super Chief Limited. Hope to hear more from you in the future after you have some more miles. Also, will need to sell the RM to be able to afford the change.

muz likes this.
  5. CGCWO

CGCWO IMRG #2031 PCB, FL
    Supporter Original 111

No engine upgrades yet waiting on Stage 1 parts. I am also adding midrise bars, short windshield, saddle bags, passenger seat, quick release backrest, crash bar and highway pegs again waiting on parts. Bike is definitely a lot lighter (close to 300lbs less than a RM) and easier to handle. I will likely add Loydz 558 cams and a PV3 tune in the next year or so.

Being pretty much fully retired I couldn't justify both the RM and the Chief. Indian Motorcycle of Panama City Beach gave me a really good deal on my RM as a trade.

6. muz

muz Bronze Member

Sounds like an awesome set up for the Chief. My kind of thinking as well. Man that is a huge weight reduction from the Roadmaster.

7. muz

muz Bronze Member

Thank you very much for the reply regarding the suspension. Appreciated.

8. doublej

doublej Silver Member
    Supporting Vendor Original 111

@CGCWO Nice review....as you said sounds like the suspension is tuneable enough....best of luck with that awesome ride!

9. Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member
    Supporter

screenshot.png
    It finally arrived. Love everything about it. Only sad thing is there weren't any blacked out exhaust shields, so they put the chrome ones on so the bike would ship out sooner. The blacked out shields will be sent to the dealer when they come available. And that's fine. It sure doesn't slow it down. I ordered all of the Super Chief add-ons (windshield, passenger seat and backrest, highway lights, etc.)but it all won't be in until December. The stage 2 throttle body, cams and injectors made it in, but no pipes or air cleaner. So until it all shows up I'll ride it for the 500mi break-in. I will say this. The power this thing has is unbelievable. Maybe it's the difference between riding the heavy ass RM I've been on up till now or the power of the 116 and the lighter weight. Whichever, this bad boy is a blast to ride. I'm sure I'll finish my riding days on this one with a big grin on my face.:D:D:D:D:):):cool:

10. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Congrats, bro. Looks TUFF!

Rocko likes this.
  11. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Very cool. Congrats

Rocko likes this.