17 Roadmaster initial thoughts and pics

Discussion in 'Indian RoadMaster' started by 1atom12, Sep 6, 2016.

1. 1atom12

1atom12 New Member
    Original 111

Greetings All,
    Thought I would post my intial thoughts after my first weekend with the bike. Due to family commitments, I only have about 230 miles on the bike so far. As some of you may know, I came from a 15 CVO Street Glide. The RM, far and away, is a superior bike.

The suspension and handling are the biggest surprise so far. Prior to the CVO, I had an Arlen Ness Vision and before that, a first year Vision. The Indian brings back that solid feel from the Vision in the twisties that was sorely missed on the CVO. However, where the RM steps it up over the Vision is the overall ride quality. Simply put, the RM rides like a caddy. Smooth with zero drama over bumps. I am in love with the suspension.

Fit and finish seem to be a notch above what I have seen on the 16s at several dealerships I have been to so far. Is my paint perfect? No. I have a few clear splatters here and there that I will eventually buff out, but the new paint factory seems to be doing a great job so far. The burgundy is absolutely stunning in the sun. (pics below)

How's the drivetrain? Just to remind everyone, I had the cams, Indian air cleaner and FP dual headpipes with FP slipons installed prior to me ever riding it. Within the first 20 miles I noticed a clacking sound coming from the top of the engine. Sorry for folks who were hoping Polaris might have addressed this issue on the 17s. My noise is fairly loud and occurs between 2K and 3K with light to medium throttle input. I will get used to it, but it is a bit annoying. Power delivery is fantastic and feels stronger than the CVO. I had only ridden a bone stock 16 RM prior to picking up my bike, but I am very impressed with the overall power of this package.

The new Ride Command is a pleasure to use and does not look too big for the fairing. The software and hardware are smooth and not laggy at all. I apparently have an issue with mine as my clock will set, but will not advance the time. My dealer confirmed that the clock is working on all the other 17 inventory they have, so it appears to be a glitch just with my bike. I did download the latest software from the riderX website, but it did not fix my clock issue. Everything else is working perfectly with Ride Command and it is super easy to use.

Overall, I am thrilled with the bike and cannot wait to pile on more miles. Let me know if there any questions you guys have that I can answer about the 17s...

Adam

Attached Files:

#1 1atom12, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Warlock, Roll On, thumper and 3 others like this.
  2. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

Nice write up. Nice pics

1atom12 likes this.
  3. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    I hope to see one at the dealers soon. That sure looks red to me. But then my Blue Diamond looked ridiculously like some baby blue thing as well until I saw it in person.

1atom12 likes this.
  4. NickJ

NickJ Administrator
    Staff Member Supporter

That paint has a nice metal flake in there that just has to shimmer in direct sunlight.

Thanks for the writeup and I hope to get on one of these bad boys sooner than later.

1atom12 likes this.
  5. 1atom12

1atom12 New Member
    Original 111

It's a sun/shade thing. Burgundy for sure in the shade. The paint just comes alive in the sun and glows a brighter shade of red.

Roll On likes this.
  6. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Excellent Review especially from a Vision Owner which to me is one of the Finest Handling and Smoothest Motorcycles out there, just could not get past the looks of it , why I opted for the Cross Country which I love and have 75K to show Polaris can build engines and the Handling is very close to a Vision as well .. Sounds like the 2017 is a winner while loved the 2016 I tested did not have the Suspension or drop dead easy handling the Cross Country has .. Will to check the 17's when they come to my area ..

RoadmasterJ.jpg

Roll On, Roadmaster and 1atom12 like this.
  7. Chieftain_16

Chieftain_16 Active Member
    Original 111

Nice review - how is the Ride Command at night, congrats on the new bike

8. CraigB1960

CraigB1960 Active Member

The Roadmaster is simply an amazing bike. Best handling and smoothest ride I've ever ridden. My standard for handling was the Harley FXR, but the RM beats it hands down. No comparison in ride quality.

Roll On likes this.
  9. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

10. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

Can you tell me how to cure my jealousy without the solution costing me any more money? Could you at least wipe up this puddle of drool you've created?

#10 Baldhead_J, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Roll On and CraigB1960 like this.
  11. Blueshwk

Blueshwk Moderator
    Staff Member Supporter Original 111

Excellent Adam.....Thanks for the review. It sounds as if you are a happy camper. That's a good bunch of guys you dealt with on the purchase of your RM and they will take good care of you down the road as well.
    Speaking of which, I hope you are able to get down the road often!

12. Bobby Jesus

Bobby Jesus Chainsaw God
    Original 111

image.jpg Just came in. The pictures do the paint job no justice. Stereo system is unreal on these things.

13. Baldhead_J

Baldhead_J Gold Member
    Original 111

We've got one here. I don't understand why they went with chrome accents on that bike. RUINED IT.

14. Chieftain_16

Chieftain_16 Active Member
    Original 111

The chrome accents don't seem that bad, not understated for sure but not overly done, imo

Like the black on red, very sharp

15. fixdent

fixdent Active Member

Just my humble opinion, and it's good that folks have choices.

I hate the dash on the 2017. When I bought my 2016 Roadmaster in July, I was thinking maybe I should have held out..(because I had not seen a 2017)....but now I'm glad I didn't.

The big screen just looks "out of place" on the dash for me.

Other than that, she is a beautiful bike....hope we get alot of enjoyment for years to come out of our Indians.

-
    Gordon

CraigB1960 and Ghost like this.
  16. Roll On

Roll On Bronze Member
    Original 111

Nice write up.

One of the best things I enjoy and that I don't hear much is, even after owning the bike, the love is still there.

17. Rick Fast

Rick Fast New Member

Beautiful machine.