12V Switched Source

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by Schnooge, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Schnooge

Schnooge New Member

I need some help guys.

I have ordered a ride camera form my '19 RM. I have a good spot to mount it. If I build a bracket to mount the camera on, I can utilize the two bolts that attach the crash bar/fairing to the frame. It will place the camera between the two forks and looking out over the front fender.

Now for the issue. I'm going to need a 12v 2amp switched power source for the camera. I'm not familiar enough with the Indian wiring scheme to immediately identify a proper source. Shop Manuals, with the wiring schematics are, apparently, non-existent for now. The '19 can't be much different than the previous year(s).

I have read where the Indian MC electrical systems are pretty picky about current draws and don't want to cause any problems or warranty issues when I tap into the system. I have found two viable source in the fairing, other than the cell phone/ride command port on the dash. There is a plug for the garage door opener and there is a perfect source that was taped to the harness behind the headlight.

The problem is, that, it is a small oddball female connector. It was obviously meant to be plugged into something, but what? I'd like to find the corresponding male plug so I'm hoping someone will recognize it and possibly point me to a source. (see photos). Failing that I'll have to resort to cutting off the plug and using Delphi's. However, I'd like to retain the original if I can.

Plug 1.jpg Plug 2.jpg

2. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Bronze Member
    Supporter

I put a dash cam on my 17 RM earlier this year. I can't remember what I used for the power. I think I spliced it into the headlight 'cause I wanted it to be on whenever the ignition was on. One piece of advise. I too wanted to mount the camera between the forks. But I found a couple issues with it. One was the travel of the fender. It comes up quite a bit when you hit bumps and uses up a lot of the space that is there. But even if you mount it high enough so the fender doesn't hit it there is a different problem. Since most Dash Cam cameras have a pretty wide angle, your fender ends up in the picture. And it is bigger than you think. Since the camera is stationary and your fender is moving up and down it is very distracting. I ended up putting the camera alongside the windshield. It works out pretty good there. See pic. Good luck with your install. IMG_5067.JPG IMG_5064.JPG

3. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Mounting the camera between the forks . . . will your fender come into contact with it if you bottom out or nearly bottom out the front suspension in a pothole? Whatever the front wheel travel specification is, you'll need a bit more than that in clearance between the fender, I presume with the front suspension loaded with the bike's weight (only) at rest and the bottom of the camera. I have no idea about this --- only the clearance issue occurred to me.

4. Schnooge

Schnooge New Member

@Papa Lar

Well, some very good points...I had not considered the rebound, however, it appeared, that, even with the forks fully collapsed I would clear the fender. I did think about the wide angle picture being taken up by the fender. I was willing to deal with that, unless I couldn't put up with it at a later date.

In retrospect, I do have second thoughts because of the wide angle lens on the camera. between the forks and the fender I would probably loose 50-65% of my field of view.

So, I will need to look to the fairing for a location.

Now, how is your camera attached? Is the camera; screwed, Velcro (ed), or adhesive strip attached? I would really like a good solidly attached base.

In addition, to your location there is another possible option. There is room for a handle bar mount next to the brake reservoir. The only issue is getting one that provides enough height to get the camera base above the fairing where you have yours mounted. It is roughly, 3.25" from the handle bar to the top of the fairing.

None of the manufacturers that I investigated seem to provide dimensions for their mounts other then the max ring size for the handle bar.

I'm still open to any viable locations.

I'm still hoping someone can give me some insight into the connector. I really don't want to cut it off and install a Delphi if I can help it.

PileOParts likes this.
  5. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Bronze Member
    Supporter

I used a go pro adhesive mount and fitted the mount that came with my camera to it. I picked it up at Best Buy. You could check out Ram Mounts. They have a ton of options including handle bar mounts.
    As far as the connector goes, try calling the camera manufacturer and get the name of the connector.

6. CuChulain

CuChulain Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be much help in identifying that particular connection, but I noticed a few unplugged connectors like that when I removed the fairing to swap out my lights. So it may not meant to be hooked to anything.
    Regardless.. I picked up this connector web site one day from somewhere and held on to it because I could see it coming in handy one day. Maybe it will help you. Its oriented around the Jap bikes but I'm quite sure there are more than a few of those connectors used on our Indians.

Motorcycle Terminals, Connectors, and Wiring Accessories

PileOParts and Papa Lar like this.
  7. Schnooge

Schnooge New Member

Well, a trip to the Indian dealer was/wasn't helpful. The wire diagram does show the pigtail and the connector, the bad news, is, they have no idea what type of a plug it is. I will have to call Indian Customer Service and see if they can provide me with a plug/identification.

However, it may be a mote point. I got my camera today (Tachyon MOTORCYCLE camera) I have been back and forth with their customer service. I can make a mount of some sort that will work, but the real issue is the power source.

They make a big deal about a waterproof cover for the camera, how to seal the micro plug and that's where it ends...the other end of the power cord is a USB connector. They want you to plug that into a Cigarette lighter type adapter and put that into a Cigarette lighter type socket.

"I don't think so, Tim"!

There is a reason why I eliminate these types of sockets from any of my toys, which were exposed to weather...they eventually suck in moisture, corrode and short. Maybe that is why Indian removed them from the fairings for 2019.

So, if Tachyon can't provide a viable Customer Service solution then the camera gets packed back up and returned. I am not going to jury rig a solution because a product is poorly designed.

I bought the camera based on several different reviews. However, unless you want to use it as a dash cam, short duration helmet cam, or mount it to your firearm (again for short term use) then the camera is useless as a motorcycle camera.

So, I'm open to suggestions for a replacement cam if they can't sort out the power supply issue.

PileOParts likes this.
  8. Papa Lar

Papa Lar Bronze Member
    Supporter

Check out www.Innovv.com I put the C5 on my bike.

PileOParts likes this.
  9. Schnooge

Schnooge New Member

Well the project is on hold for now. I packed up the Tachyon and I'm shipping it back to the vendor. They have terrible customer service. Their customer service rep, John, is useless. I challenged him, as a customer service rep, to find me an acceptable way to power the camera from the power source to the micro plug on the camera, and provide a reliable water resistant/proof method to power the camera.

Apparently, he took affront to me asking him to do his job!

I did take a look at the Innovvs. I really like the set-up for the K2. However, the specs, and features are not easy to find on their website. Reading some reviews, the quality and longevity of the cameras may be in question.

Again, a company is no better than their customer service. One reviewer had several K1's. One failed under warranty and Innovv wouldn't do anything for him since they were "concentrating on the K2" and were no longer making the K1s.

Not honoring the warranty, sounds like Sears...and we know where they are headed!

It is really difficult to apparently find a good system. Most of the reviews and articles online, concentrate on helmet cams and not fixed mounted.

So, since I really don't like on-line reviews (which are notoriously slanted) I rely on actual personal experiences. You are apparently the only one here that has a camera mounted, and I thank you for your valuable input.

PileOParts and Papa Lar like this.
  10. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Uh oh. I use the cigar lighter socket on the fairing of my '16 RM to power a Zumo on the road and to charge a couple of Sena communicators (with a Y adaptor) sitting still. Don't like to hear about this moisture wicking and shorting out, which seems likely now that I have. Anybody have this trouble with the fairing-mounted sockets, and if so, what did setting it right entail?

11. Schnooge

Schnooge New Member

Don't panic. It may never become a problem. Some are very well sealed. However, I got away from them on my boats. Running the Louisiana swamps at night requires a good light. My 1M candlepower Q-beams used these ports. Eventually, they would get wet and start to corrode. I ended up going to rechargeable lights. I got tired of replacing these sources.

I, know, some will say but it's a boat...well, tell me that you have never gotten caught in a rain storm on the bike!

These accessory outlets (especially if they are the cheap ones) eventually fail. The "higher" quality ones will last a long time and may never be a problem. However, there has to be a reason why Polaris eliminated them from the 2019 RM

After reading some further reviews on the Tachyon I found that people using them (with the power cord system that was supplied) on motorcycles experienced failures of the USB/adapter/accessory plug due to vibration. The connections were working loose. That means that the camera was turning on/off, or going off and staying there.

12. PileOParts

PileOParts Silver Member

Thanks for this. Yeah, boat electrics are a bitch. Have and old one with both 12V and 120V.

Have you thought of liquid electrical tape around the USB connection? Little bottle of black liquid rubber with a brush in it like PVC cement? Works wonders, not permanent.

13. Schnooge

Schnooge New Member

Sorry, but why would I want to jury rig a big bulky accessory plug into my fairing?

I'm not going to drill a hole or stuff it up inside the fairing, that is not on my bucket list. It was just a very poor way of powering the camera...well, I won't ever have to worry about this again, as the camera was shipped back to the vendor.

PileOParts likes this.
  14. theMucker

theMucker Well-Known Member

My Roadmaster is a 2016, but I'll bet the 2019 has the same wiring harness under the fairing. If that's correct, there is an unused switched, two-pin plug behind the fairing, above and to the left of the headlight. I don't have a photo of that exact connector, but I have a photo of the same type (with blue back) that's also under the seat, above the shock absorber.
    original connectors under seat.jpg
    Again, assuming the OEM hasn't made significant changes in the harnesses, the connectors are Delphi Metri-Pack Series 150, water proof connectors. You can get the mating connectors from Mouser.com or do a Google search for suppliers.
    FYI: I used the connector under the fairing to power my garage door opener and I used the one under the seat to power my AdMore LightBar and the relay for a louder pair of horns.

doublej likes this.
  15. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Well-Known Member
    Supporter Original 111

I cut the connector off and used a 2 pin trailer plug. It's waterproof and fits together tightly.

theMucker and IROQUOIS like this.