111 Drive Belt Replacement

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle Tech Questions & Answers' started by Dan_Frisbie, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Dan_Frisbie

Dan_Frisbie Well-Known Member
    Supporter Original 111

Is everyone replacing your belt when Polaris tells us to?
    If I remember right, it's supposed to be replaced at 30k miles. Mine was replaced to fix the squeak at 15k, so my recommended replacement will be at 45k and I'm at 40k now.
    Not an expense that I'm looking forward to...

bigsam likes this.
  2. goatlocker95

goatlocker95 Active Member

I plan on changing mine when I change the rear tire after I hit 30K.

3. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    I plan on changing mine but I have 3 miles of gravel road to get in and out of my property. Plus the many roads that suddenly turn to gravel in this cheap dang state.

4. kruisin

kruisin Member

Nope. I'll run mine till it shows signs of age or wear. I had 65k on my roadking and it still looked great, have friends that have put over 100k on belts. I'll take my chances.

5. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

Had over 70K on my Ultra and 80K on my Victory and both were on Original Belts and Looked and Tracked Great .. I have Free services for 2 Years so if have 30K in before reach that mark will probably let them change it as it's Free otherwise will change it when looks like it needs it ..

theMucker, Crazy1961 and HINK like this.
  6. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I'm getting my 30,000 mile service in the next week or so. I will follow the Dealership Mechanic's advice on that. I have a squeaky pulley too, so will see about that as well.

Cindy Hu and JayFL459 like this.
  7. Roadie

Roadie Bronze Member
    Original 111

Wimberley Texas (Austin Area) Texas Hill Country
    Approaching 40,000 miles, not replacing the belt on my 2015 Chieftain till it shows it's needed.

theMucker, Bobby Jesus, HINK and 3 others like this.
  8. Paparog

Paparog Active Member

On my 1997 Harley Road King I had over 100 thousand miles and the belt was in excellent condition. Did not need to change it however I did since the engine was out for a rebuilt. On my Indian I will change it when it is necessary, if not necessary I will not change it just because Indian wants to give their dealers some work and they can sell parts at their crazy prices.

9. HINK

HINK Well-Known Member

42k and mine looks fine. May replace prior to my next three flags rally (Canada, Mexico, USA ) just cuz I don't want it to fail in the wilds - - but on the other hand catastrophic failures are rare (usually a big sharp object smacking into it at speed) (which could happen at any mileage )

10. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I just got my 30,000 mile Service done today. I asked them Not to replace the Belt unless it really needed it, same with the Fork Oil.
    They checked the Fork Seals, said they were good so didn't need that done. They checked and moved the Belt. They checked the adjustment and tension. They said the Belt was showing signs of wear but didn't really need replacing. Yay! :)

#10 sidecarsam, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Cindy Hu, doublej, JayFL459 and 3 others like this.
  11. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Bronze Member
    Original 111

Between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth Texas
    What does checking the fork seals have to do with the fork oil? That oil takes a beating. I didn't have mine changed because I wasn't prepared for the 6 hour service. But no getting around it, it will be done at 20k. The nose diving is getting worse as I ride so I'm sure that oil is shot and my fork seals are just fine too.

12. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I agree, but when they check the seal, they also check the rebound and and dampening and said all seemed fine. I haven't had any issues with nose diving, so I call it good to go. :)

Cindy Hu likes this.
  13. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

Developed the dreaded chirp/squeaking from the drive belt and pulleys during my vacation this week. I'm armed with lots of info on the subject from this site and the other one.
    Visiting the dealer Monday to "encourage" them to repair and replace the above said part's under warranty. It will be a nice conversation on my part because my dealer has been great about past minor issues.

sidecarsam likes this.
  14. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

What year is your Bike? Mine is a 2016 and it came with the updated pulley. It developed a squeak and it just happened to be out of adjustment - does that every 4,000 to 6,000 miles. Dealership mechanic adjusts it and it is good for another 4,000 to 6,000 miles. Normal wear on the belt itself. 38,000 miles on it and haven't replaced it yet - Dealership mechanic said it should go 100,000 miles.

Dean E, JayFL459 and Cindy Hu like this.
  15. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

It's a 2016. Got 6600 miles on it. All adjusted at 5000 mile service. By the time I got back home it was very loud. Front and back pulley squealing.
    Just 1600 miles into the recent service.

16. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

If my bike is equipped with the updated version of belt and or pulleys why would it do this? Is it that sensitive to a perfect alignment?
    New to belt drive bike's.... just want informed. Thanks

17. sidecarsam

sidecarsam Gold Member
    Supporter Original 111

I don't know, first time for a Belt Drive for me also. I know that dust and particulate matter can make them squeak also, may need a washing? I'd still have the Dealership Mechanic look at it and see if it is needing adjustment. My mechanic said it is not as simple an adjustment as it could be. I had a non-Indian shop put my new tire on and the belt squeaked afterword, so I ran it down to the Dealership today and the mechanic adjusted it - Squeak gone.

Cindy Hu likes this.
  18. IROQUOIS

IROQUOIS Silver Member

Yes, I'll have to give them the opportunity to fix it by whatever means. I'll have it documented anyway. If it continues than they'll have to keep trying.
    60 miles away makes their first effort important. I have to admit they seem to have good mechanics.
    Does other belt drive bike's/manufacturer's have this issue now or in the past? If not I wonder what the difference is in design?

sidecarsam likes this.
  19. JayFL459

JayFL459 Silver Member
    Original 111

If Ride often other than the First 15K Fork Oil which I believe should be done, maybe even at 10K if Do It Yourself .. But after that unless Notice a Problem or Leak should be able to go 30K Easy from then on ..

20. xrays

xrays Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Same. I just had the 30k service - they did the belt, fork oil, etc. I also had them do the Stage 2 cams when I was there for the service. Meh. in for a penny, in for a pound.

goatlocker95, JayFL459 and sidecarsam like this.